Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Streaming App won't recognize my in home Wifi

New Poster

Streaming App won't recognize my in home Wifi

About 2-3 weeks ago both my iPad TV streaming app and Xfinity's website stopped recognizing my in-home wifi so when we try to watch something labeled "in home" it gives that irritating message that I have to be on my in home wifi.  I am on it!  I was just on a 37 minute "conversation" (mostly being put on hold and had 3 different customer service reps ask me the same stupid things) and got hung up on!  Since Xfinity can't help does anyone have any suggestions?  And no, nothing has changed with my service, AND I have Xfinity wifi too so it's not like I'm running my wifi through a different modem, etc.  I've seen those answers. It also won't let us watch live television.  Same message. HELP!

Official Employee

Re: Streaming App won't recognize my in home Wifi

pobr wrote:

About 2-3 weeks ago both my iPad TV streaming app and Xfinity's website stopped recognizing my in-home wifi so when we try to watch something labeled "in home" it gives that irritating message that I have to be on my in home wifi.  I am on it!  I was just on a 37 minute "conversation" (mostly being put on hold and had 3 different customer service reps ask me the same stupid things) and got hung up on!  Since Xfinity can't help does anyone have any suggestions?  And no, nothing has changed with my service, AND I have Xfinity wifi too so it's not like I'm running my wifi through a different modem, etc.  I've seen those answers. It also won't let us watch live television.  Same message. HELP!

Sorry about your problems and bad customer service experience. The most common causes for this include:

1. Customers with modems that aren't properly associated with "an outlet on the account". Most common with customer-owned modems which doesn't sound like your issue. I suppose there could be some way that even a Comcast-supplied modem isn't properly registered but I haven't seen it come up much. Can be resolved by calling 800-XFINITY and speaking with someone in the Internet department (not TV department).
  2. Customers who are connected to the SSID "XFINITY-WiFi" which is the public/guest network - not the home network which is usually "HOME-XXXXXX" by default. 
  3. Customers who have a VPN (virtual private network) which will definitely make it appear to our systems like you are not in your home (VPNs "tunnel" your connection to another location).
  4. Customers whose modems have recently gotten a new IP "lease" which hasn't propagated to all the Comcast systems needed (unlikely your issue since it has been going on for 2-3 weeks). Ironically, restarting the modem and actually exacerbate the issue but is useful if the network is sluggish.
  5. Customers with multiple homes/accounts using the wrong username when they switch households.

I see a number of devices registered in your household. Is this occurring for all your family members (I assume so but would be very telling if not). 

I hope one of these suggestions help. On another note, you appear to be eligible for Cloud DVR (X1 with whole home DVR) but don't have it on your account. If you are up for it, you can call us and ask to have the "cloud DVR rate codes" added to your account.  

Best,

ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I haven't changed anything on my end. The internet is set up with the same settings, names, etc. since we signed up 3 years ago. We only use one username and password to sign into the apps and/or Xfinity Stream TV on our laptops (this is happening on my iPad, a Mac book and a Samsung laptop).  I am not on public xfinity wifi.  So something has to have happened on your end to trigger this. 

New Poster

I have the same problem. I've called customer service 3 times and they can not help. It's very annoying that Comcast cannot adequately troubleshoot the problem. There must be an easier way to enable streaming. Why not just limit streaming devices instead of which wifi connection?
Contributor

Will xfinity recognize my AT&T wifi?

New Poster

Did you find a resolution? I am having the same problem with my iPad, which I just discovered because my cable box is not working. I tried reinstalling the app, with the thought of wiping out  any other wifi preference, and also shut off the app data in the iCloud. But it did not work. It connects to my wifi but fails to recognize it as my home network. Any success or work around for this issue, anyone?

Official Employee

AllSystemsGo wrote:

Did you find a resolution? I am having the same problem with my iPad, which I just discovered because my cable box is not working. I tried reinstalling the app, with the thought of wiping out  any other wifi preference, and also shut off the app data in the iCloud. But it did not work. It connects to my wifi but fails to recognize it as my home network. Any success or work around for this issue, anyone?

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/Streaming-App-won-t-recognize-my-in-home-Wifi/m-...

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Comcast Dan - can you offer resolutions to issues 3 and 4? You've described that they can cause the issue, but did not describe how to fix it.

thank you,

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation