Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Silverlight Issue- Please Help

New Poster

Silverlight Issue- Please Help

I have uninstalled and reinstalled silverlight over 15 times now. No matter what I try (firefox, chrome, safari) I continue to get the message "Please upgrade your Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video." This only happens with certain shows, and netflix works fine. I have a Mac OSX Lion 10.7.4 with a 2.5 GHz processor. 

Please Help!

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Silverlight Issue- Please Help

afierro1 wrote:

I have uninstalled and reinstalled silverlight over 15 times now. No matter what I try (firefox, chrome, safari) I continue to get the message "Please upgrade your Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video." This only happens with certain shows, and netflix works fine. I have a Mac OSX Lion 10.7.4 with a 2.5 GHz processor. 

Please Help!

I know you uninstalled and reinstalled many times but I need you to do it one more time.

Silverlight does not officially support Mac users who are using Google Chrome but it will still work. Our site asks you to upgrade because we have released a patched version of Silverlight that decreases the amount of video errors. Since Mac/Chrome and Silverlight do not officially support each other, you are stuck in this endless loop and the patch is not being installed. Some people get stuck in the loop and some people do not. We are still looking into why that happens.

So...

Please completely uninstall Silverlight from your computer. Then download and install Silverlight from the link below. This is the patched version of Silverlight and the upgrade that our site is asking for:

Mac Users 

Follow all the on-screen instructions and then try playing videos again. Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

this link doesn't work

Official Employee

cossettefamily wrote:

this link doesn't work

I corrected the link. Please try it again.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

I keep getting the same message as well, and also downloaded the link you supplied...

Official Employee

PatrickRy81 wrote:

I keep getting the same message as well, and also downloaded the link you supplied...

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Also, please send the URLs of the videos that you are trying to watch.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

I just now noticed that you asked me to copy and paste what came on my screen when I clicked that link. You also asked me to list the URLs of the shows I was trying to watch. That would pretty much take forever, so it was any video I try to watch that tells me I need to download Silverlight. I downloaded it, installed, and even restarted my computer and I get the same message. Never had any issues when it came to watch shows or movies on my computer until now...

My Device Information My Zip Code: 08051 My Cable Provider: Recommended by Comcast My myDVR Manager Status: Unknown My Set Top Box Names: Unknown My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx My operating system: Mac - rv:16.0 My web browser: Firefox 16 - Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0 My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: 071706000001 My Silverlight version: Unknown My flash version: 10.3 r183 Javascript: enabled Cookies: Enabled (4251 Bytes). Please clear cookies. Time Information My Clock Time: Mon Oct 22 2012 22:00:33 GMT-0400 (EDT) Server Clock Time: Mon Oct 22 2012 22:00:33 GMT-0400 (EDT)
My Account Information Primary Account: False Provider Codes: s, bi, bj, bq, ce, cd, cf, g, ak, aw, ar, cg, au, bv, b, u, br, bt, cm, h, ad, bw, d, al, bh, ci, a, y, bx, bb, bc, bu, by, bs, at, cb, ch, e, aj, bz, bm, bl, bk, bp, bo, cc, f, m, bn Internet Subscriber: True Cable TV Subscriber: True Voice Subscriber: False
Official Employee

PatrickRy81 wrote:
I just now noticed that you asked me to copy and paste what came on my screen when I clicked that link. You also asked me to list the URLs of the shows I was trying to watch. That would pretty much take forever, so it was any video I try to watch that tells me I need to download Silverlight. I downloaded it, installed, and even restarted my computer and I get the same message. Never had any issues when it came to watch shows or movies on my computer until now...

My Device Information My Zip Code: 08051 My Cable Provider: Recommended by Comcast My myDVR Manager Status: Unknown My Set Top Box Names: Unknown My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx My operating system: Mac - rv:16.0 My web browser: Firefox 16 - Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0 My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: 071706000001 My Silverlight version: Unknown My flash version: 10.3 r183 Javascript: enabled Cookies: Enabled (4251 Bytes)

Your Silverlight version is Unknown which means that it is not installed properly. Please completely remove Silverlight from your Mac. Go here for more details:

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/get-started/install/removing-silverlight-mac.aspx

Search Silverlight on your computer and delete any additional files you may find.

Then install the patch posted above again and let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation