Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Silverlight IS updated but my browser doesn't say it

New Poster

Silverlight IS updated but my browser doesn't say it

I want to watch TV on my computer. It says I need to update to the most recent version of Silverlight. However, when I do that, it says I have the most recent version. But your website doesn't register this. What to do?

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Silverlight IS updated but my browser doesn't say it

lorinyeater1105 wrote:

I want to watch TV on my computer. It says I need to update to the most recent version of Silverlight. However, when I do that, it says I have the most recent version. But your website doesn't register this. What to do?

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem--this topic is in dozens of complaints.I called over a week ago,and was given an event # and was told she would excalate it;this was a week ago.

My Device Information My Zip Code: 05403 My Cable Provider: Comcast Williston Digital My myDVR Manager Status: Unknown My Set Top Box Names: Unknown My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 174.63.101.164 My operating system: Windows -  Windows NT 6.1 My web browser: Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C) My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: Unknown My flash version: 11.4 r402 Javascript: enabled Cookies: enabled Time Information My Clock Time: Mon Sep 17 12:44:50 EDT 2012 Server Clock Time: Mon Sep 17 12:44:52 EDT 2012
My Account Information Primary Account: True Provider Codes: b, a Internet Subscriber: True Cable TV Subscriber: True Voice Subscriber: False
Official Employee

ramhead wrote:

I have the same problem--this topic is in dozens of complaints.I called over a week ago,and was given an event # and was told she would excalate it;this was a week ago.

My Device Information My Zip Code: 05403 My Cable Provider: Comcast Williston Digital My myDVR Manager Status: Unknown My Set Top Box Names: Unknown My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 174.63.101.164 My operating system: Windows -  Windows NT 6.1 My web browser: Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C) My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: UnknownMy flash version: 11.4 r402 Javascript: enabled Cookies: enabled Time Information My Clock Time: Mon Sep 17 12:44:50 EDT 2012 Server Clock Time: Mon Sep 17 12:44:52 EDT 2012
My Account Information Primary Account: True Provider Codes: b, a Internet Subscriber: True Cable TV Subscriber: True Voice Subscriber: False

Your Silverlight is coming up as Unknown. Thisusually means that it is not fully installed. 

Please uninstall Siverlight from your computer and then search your computer for any Silverlight files and remove them. Make sure no files are still on your computer.

Once it has been removed, download and install Silverlight from the link below:

Windows users 

This is a patched version that fixes most video playback issues and gets you out of the "Please install/upgrade Silverlight" loop.

Follow all the on-screen instructions and then try playing videos again. Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I  have this problem and have chatted and talked with tech support at Comcast with no results.  I deleted all Silverlight files and used control panel to uninstall Silverlight then used the link you suggested to reinstall it.  The xfinity program still gives unknown for the version of Silverlight and when I try to use the Live CNN from the new home page it fails and tells me that I need to install Silverlight.  Other Live feeds (all Disney feeds) work but CNN and HLN do not.

My Device Information My Zip Code: 46278 My Cable Provider: Unknown My myDVR Manager Status: Unknown My Set Top Box Names: Unknown My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 98.222.220.117 My operating system: Windows - Windows NT 6.1 My web browser: Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; AskTbANT/5.14.0.19709) My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: Unknown My flash version: 11.3 r300 Javascript: enabled Cookies: enabled Time Information My Clock Time: Mon Sep 17 16:30:56 EDT 2012 Server Clock Time: Mon Sep 17 16:30:58 EDT 2012

Frequent Visitor

Same results Joe.Deleted all files in hard drive for silverlight.One note of interest--when I use my laptop with Vista it states I need a susbscription to True TV--I in fact do have a subscription--I can watch South Beach tow on my primary TV.That's it.

Official Employee

larryharris & ramhead,

Go here and look under Resolution. Pick the fix it for me feature and Microsoft will uninstall Silverlight for you. It should get rid of any hidden files you may have missed.

Once the uninstallation is complete, download and install Silverlight from the appropriate link below:

Mac users 

Windows users 

This is a patched version that fixes most video playback issues and gets you out of the "Please install/upgrade Silverlight" loop. Please do not download any other version.

Follow all the on-screen instructions and then try playing videos again. Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Go where and look under resolution Joe?

Official Employee

ramhead wrote:

Go where and look under resolution Joe?

I am sorry, I forgot to include the link. Please look into my last post again and the "here" link will take you to a Microsoft Help site.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the suggestions.  After following them I still get the message that I need to install the Silverlight plug-in when I try to view the CNN live stream.  Here are my settings with the Silverlight still "Unknown" as far as Xfinity is able to tell.

My Device Information My Zip Code: 46278 My Cable Provider: Unknown My myDVR Manager Status: Unknown My Set Top Box Names: Unknown My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 98.222.220.117 My operating system: Windows - Windows NT 6.1 My web browser: Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; AskTbANT/5.14.0.19709) My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: Unknown My flash version: 11.3 r300 Javascript: enabled Cookies: enabled Time Information My Clock Time: Tue Sep 18 11:52:40 EDT 2012 Server Clock Time: Tue Sep 18 11:52:37 EDT 2012

Frequent Visitor

Same thing Joe--no change.

Official Employee

larryhharris & ramhead,

Try using a different web browser and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Google Chrome works most of the time.  It sometimes gives me errors starting or says it can't find the CNN stream.  Where does the Xfinity program look to see if Silverlight is installed (where it decides to display "unknown")?  When I use control panel to display programs to uninstall and install Silverlight it comes and goes just as I would expect.

Frequent Visitor

Chrome now says buy this subscription now---simliar---- my laptop says "you must be subscribed".

Official Employee

larryhharris,

What do you mean when you say "it can't find the CNN stream"? Does it tell you need need to be subscribed to CNN?

ramhead,

Is the must be subscribed message the only issues you are having in Chrome?

Also, make sure that you both have the most up to date Service Pack installed for Windows.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

So Joe,seeing that so many customers are experiencing so many problems with Silverlight for months and months,why isn't some other application used?

Frequent Visitor

I checked and I do have the latest Windows 7 updates, inclucing optionals.  I cannot get the Google Chrome use of viewing CNN live to fail today.  If I am not signed on to Xfinity in Chrome, it prompts me to do so and then proceeds to let me view CNN.  If I get a failure I will copy the exact text and send it to you.  Thanks for your help as I would like to continue to use Internet Explorer 9 rather than switch to Google Chrome.

Official Employee

larryhharris & ramhead,

Are you using 32 or 64-bit of Internet Explorer?

Also, try installing an older version of Silverlight and see if you have any better luck:

Silverlight 4

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

No other issues with Chrome.Using 32 bit.Installed older version,but when logged on and tried to watch South Beach tow,newer version was installed automatically.No change--still in loop.

Frequent Visitor

I was not using the 64bit version of Internet Explorer but I am now.  The message has changed when I try to play CNN but it still doesn't work.  Disney and others work fine.  Chrome has not failed to play CNN since I last talked with you.  The new message is:

Xfinity Video Player Upgrade

Upgrade your Xfinity Player!

In order to watch On Demand Online videos with "HD-Like" picture quality, you need to install the new Xfinity Player

We're sorry, but for watching On Demand Online videos the following browsers are NOT officially supported at this time:

• Windows XP: Safari 3/4
  • Windows Vista:  IE 6, Safari 3/4
  • Windows 7:  IE 6/7, Safari 3/4
  • Mac OS 10.4.11+:  IE 6/7/8, Chrome 4

How do I upgrade my Xfinity Player?

Frequent Visitor

So Joe,today I tried to watch Hoarders on A&E.Same old problems with Silverlight.Is anything being done to address everyone's problems with Silverlight?

New Poster

I am having the same exact problem except that I used some tech forums suggestion and managed to download silverlight through  4 different file types, and when I did that it made my silverlight only compatible with xfinity/ hboGO and no longer with netflix. So now I tried to uninstall silverlight but it wont let me, and now i cant watch anything on netflix, i am getting no help from netflix, or chrome, or microsoft, or apple ( I am using chrome on a mac with the microsoft silverlight plug in trying to watch netflix and xfinity) but the same problem persists that the most recent silverlight somehow does not register on many macs ( and pc's from the look of it)  and yet no on wants to take the responsibility for it and actually try to help people fix this issue. please give me some real help, not re-directing to microsofts sites or other sites because i have deleted all the file versions under utilities and library plugins and receipts and the other similar silverlight files too, and i have restarted the computer and tried it with the safari browser as well, still nothing. PLEASE HELP

New Poster

HALLELUJAH I FOUND THE ANSWER. it was tucked away in some back door secret microsoft forum but here it is! ( some of the steps you may have already done but the next steps definitely do not skip! some folders may only have one file out of the 3 listed, just carefully step by step do the outlined steps. ALSO copy and paste this information into a word file so you can read the steps after you have already quit and closed the browsers.----> 

manually uninstall Silverlight please perform the steps outlined below:

1. Quit all open browsers (Firefox/Safari), please ensure that they are completely quit and not just minimized to the Dock by going to the Apple menu and choosing Force Quit, when a browser is still running in the force quit window, force the browser to quit.

2. Click on Go in the top menu in Finder.

3. Choose Computer.

4. Open the hard drive, usually named Macintosh HD.

5. Open the Library.

6. Go to Internet Plug-ins.

7. Drag Silverlight.plugin and WPFe.plugin (when this file is there) to the Trash.

8. Go back to the (Hard Drive) Library folder.

9. Open the Application Support folder.

10. Open the Microsoft folder.

11. Move the Silverlight folder if it is there to the trash.

12. Move the PlayReady folder if it is there to the trash as well.

13. Go back to the (Hard Drive) Library folder.

14. Open the Receipts folder.

15. Look for the Silverlight.pkg, Silverlight_W2_MIX.pkg and WPFe.pkg files and move them to the trash.

16. If you are using Snow Leopard (10.6), follow these additional steps:

1.      In the Finder, click Go, and then click Go to Folder.
  2.      Type the following text in the Go to the folder box:
  3.      /private/var/db/receipts
  4.      Click Go.
  5.      Drag to the Trash all receipts that start with "com.microsoft.installSilverlightPlugin" and continue untill every             com.microsoft.install is in the trash, you will be prompted for your Admin password when you move files from this location to the Trash.

17. Click on Go.

18. Choose Home.

19. Open the Library folder.

20. Open the Preferences folder.

21. Look for the com.microsoft.silverlight.plist, com.microsoft.SilverlightPlugin.loader.plist and com.microsoft.playready.plist files and move them to the trash.

22. Go back to the (Home) Library folder.

23. Open Application Support.

24. Open Microsoft.

25. Move the Silverlight folder to the trash when it is there.

26. Check your Trash to make sure there is nothing you want to keep then empty your Trash.

27. Restart your Mac.

Frequent Visitor

Joe,so now I tried to watch the Walking Dead on AMC,and I have the silverlight issue there.This is getting ridiculous.Any Suggestions?Someone posted a fix? for Mac users.I did a scan and deleted all files by hand.

New Poster

THANK YOU!! finally solved all of my problems

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation