Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Setting a Series Recording in HD

New Poster

Setting a Series Recording in HD

Hi Joe,

I am having the same problems too.  The HD vs SD radio button only appears on individual shows, not the series recording options.  My two examples are "The League" and "Modern Family".  Any other suggestions?

Official Employee

Re: Recording Series in HD

JSkills wrote:

Hi Joe,

I am having the same problems too.  The HD vs SD radio button only appears on individual shows, not the series recording options.  My two examples are "The League" and "Modern Family".  Any other suggestions?

We are further looking into this. I will update you when I learn more.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Joe,

I'm not seeing an option in the Rec Series modal for HD vs SD. This is the single reason I come to the site, is to record series in HD.

Silver Problem Solver

you can do that on your cable box by slecting this channel only when setting the series recording, that way it will only record the channel you set it for and ignore the hd version of the show.  I have been doing this for years.

Frequent Visitor

I am also experienicng this issue, do you have a work around or an ETA on when this will be fixed?  It was a nice feature and would like to see it come back.  Also will it be added to the Apps on the iPad and Android?

Silver Problem Solver

why dont you just set your recording from your cable box.??

New Poster

I too am having this problem and it is VERY frustrating. I want to record a series in HD from a particular HD channel despite the show airing on multiple networks and the online DVR manager gives you no option to select the HD channel for the series recording. It defaults to "SD"

as to why would we bother with the online DVR manager instead of from the cable box? Becuase it is very easy to go online on your phone or computer and type in the name of the show and record it. The cable box is time consuming and annoying having to use the remote control.

I hope comcast can fix this huge set back to recording shows using the online DVR manager

New Poster

Series in HD button not there

How do you record only HD in the record series button? It will only let me record in SD, I then have to record an episode in HD and hit the button record series in the menu under recordings.

Tags (1)
New Poster

ok its been a month and no fix online. Any update?

Official Employee

Re: Series in HD button not there

beshoe25 wrote:

How do you record only HD in the record series button? It will only let me record in SD, I then have to record an episode in HD and hit the button record series in the menu under recordings.

You have to find the HD channel and the show on the TV Listings Page to set the series recording in HD.

When I know more, I will update this thread.

Thank you for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

HD and SD now showing up when click to record

I search for a program by name.  When I click to record a series or episode, the window that pops up used to have a choice between HD and SD when available.  Now, the default is SD.  To get HD I have to go find the listing on the actual HD channel and then click record from there.  Can this be fixed?

New Poster

I find that even when hitting show settings, record a series in HD is not an option. You can set it to record a single episode in HD, but not the series.

Contributor

Just found this thread.  Having the same issue, and hope you can update the system soon.  The online DVR manager is, in general, a fantastic improvement over the old way of doing things.  It just needs a few more improvements. Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Same here.  I found this thread when I wanted to find away to set a series to record in HD through my PC.  I have the anyroom dvr and often set recordings through my pc when I am not in the room with the dvr.

New Poster

Recording Series in HD Online

How are you supposed to program your DVR to record a series in HD?  I can't seem to figure it out, and I don't seem to be the only one..

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Setting-a-Series-Recording-in-HD-via-online-DVR...

New Poster

Can't record series in HD from xfinity TV! Huh!?

Am I the only one curious why when you're looking at the description of a show and you press "record series" that you don't have the option for HD? It automatically chooses SD and you can't change it... 

When will this be fixed?! I can't believe it was set up to not even give you the option to record in HD!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Can't record series in HD from xfinity TV! Huh!?

?? Just where are you choosing the option to record? Does it list the same series mulitple times? If so, maybe one of them is pointing at the HD channel. Otherwise, it may be a flaw where it just defaults to the lowest channel number for that network, which will typically be the SD feed.

I always set my recordings on the box itself, so you can choose the correct channel.

New Poster

Re: Can't record series in HD from xfinity TV! Huh!?

I agree on this.  I discovered today that you can choose a radio button between HD/SD when recording a single episode ONLY. Having to search program title, then re-browse manually using the TV listing guide is an annoying and unfortunate shotcoming of the online DVR scheduling.  

It must have been a mistake to leave this out?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Setting a Series Recording in HD

I just switched to Comcast and couldn't figure out how to record a series in HD online (using DVR Manager or from a search), but I thought it was just a matter of learning new ways of doing things. I was surprised to find out there *is* no way. I was also surprised to see it's been at least three months since this was first reported and it hasn't been corrected yet. Hopefully if enough customers voice their concern, Comcast will eventually fix the problem.

Contributor

I believe they have fixed it. A few days ago, I saw the radio-button choice between HD and SD again for the first time in a while. I just tried it again on a new series, and I saw the choice. It appears they are responding to our feedback.

They also fixed something else I had complained about elsewhere: Used to be, when you scrolled to the next time block in the listings, it always took you back to the top.  Now it keeps you where you are in the channel lineup.  Much more convenient.

Official Employee

starrigger wrote:

I believe they have fixed it. A few days ago, I saw the radio-button choice between HD and SD again for the first time in a while. I just tried it again on a new series, and I saw the choice. It appears they are responding to our feedback.

They also fixed something else I had complained about elsewhere: Used to be, when you scrolled to the next time block in the listings, it always took you back to the top.  Now it keeps you where you are in the channel lineup.  Much more convenient.

Not all shows have it yet and I am trying to get an update on what shows have it and what shows don't. When I learn more, I will update this thread.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Dear ComcastJoe,

Your last post was in October and you said you would update this thread when you received more information.  That was over four months ago.

This is apparently a problem Comcast cannot fix as it appears there are posts on this topic for more than a year.  How hard is it to let users chose between recording in SD vs HD?  With the number of HD TV's out there, you'd think the default would be HD and not SD.  I just tried to record the series for Survivor and there was no option for HD, only SD.  And I couldn't even go to the episode on the TV menu b/c it lists the Survivor slot as "TBD".  I found that interesting because next Wednesday is less than a week away.  

Why offer an online DVR when it can't do simple tasks??

-Another frustrated Comcast subscriber

Official Employee

kstaffieri wrote:

Dear ComcastJoe,

Your last post was in October and you said you would update this thread when you received more information.  That was over four months ago.

This is apparently a problem Comcast cannot fix as it appears there are posts on this topic for more than a year.  How hard is it to let users chose between recording in SD vs HD?  With the number of HD TV's out there, you'd think the default would be HD and not SD.  I just tried to record the series for Survivor and there was no option for HD, only SD.  And I couldn't even go to the episode on the TV menu b/c it lists the Survivor slot as "TBD".  I found that interesting because next Wednesday is less than a week away.  

Why offer an online DVR when it can't do simple tasks??

-Another frustrated Comcast subscriber

I am so sorry.

I must of not posted that it was fixed or posted it in another thread. 

This feature is fixed and it is available for most shows when you click "Rec Series"

Sorry for the delay,

Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I appreciate the reply Joe, yet can you provide more specific information besides the vague comment, "most shows"?  I just posted that I tried to record the series "Survivor" in HD and that option was not provided.  I would expect "most shows" to include those in prime time.  I'm confused as to why the option wouldn't be universal or at least for those shows that have both an SD and HD option.  It seems to me that the issue is not fixed.  

Contributor

I just got my first HDTV (finally) and I am somewhat surprised by the lack of this option.  In Series Recording Settings you should be able to select HD Channels only or SD Channels Only.  Come on Comcast!

Does anyone know if TIVO has this option.

Official Employee

kstaffieri wrote:

I appreciate the reply Joe, yet can you provide more specific information besides the vague comment, "most shows"?  I just posted that I tried to record the series "Survivor" in HD and that option was not provided.  I would expect "most shows" to include those in prime time.  I'm confused as to why the option wouldn't be universal or at least for those shows that have both an SD and HD option.  It seems to me that the issue is not fixed.  

This option does exist for Survivor:

HDSD.png

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

Apparently the only way to get that option is to first search for the series online, then set the recording from that page.  Why can't we get that option on the DVR box?

Frequent Visitor

I can see your screenshot Joe, yet I'm curious why I'm not seeing the same one with my login credentials- still no option to choose between HD and SD. The only option I do have is to click "More Options" and then select "All Channels" - which I'm guessing may record both the SD and HD versions?

I even just tried on a different computer and still do not see the option. I also tried different browsers, Chrome, Firefox and IE with no success.  It's obvious that you can see it Joe, yet it's not showing up for me.  I tried to include a screenshot directly into this message and I also tried copying/pasting from a Word document but this Rich Text box is not allowing me.  Could the issue somehow be tied to my account and/or its settings?  This is beginning to feel like I'm getting the runaround. Joe, could I email you directly or someone else from Comcast with the screenshots I'm receiving instead of using this forum?

Official Employee

kstaffieri wrote:

I can see your screenshot Joe, yet I'm curious why I'm not seeing the same one with my login credentials- still no option to choose between HD and SD. The only option I do have is to click "More Options" and then select "All Channels" - which I'm guessing may record both the SD and HD versions?

I even just tried on a different computer and still do not see the option. I also tried different browsers, Chrome, Firefox and IE with no success.  It's obvious that you can see it Joe, yet it's not showing up for me.  I tried to include a screenshot directly into this message and I also tried copying/pasting from a Word document but this Rich Text box is not allowing me.  Could the issue somehow be tied to my account and/or its settings?  This is beginning to feel like I'm getting the runaround. Joe, could I email you directly or someone else from Comcast with the screenshots I'm receiving instead of using this forum? 

Check your private messages for further instructions.

User CCCarole has wrote step-by-step instructions on how to send and read private messages:

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small white envelope. This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’.  A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public viewing the Forums.

The white envelope turns to yellow when you receive a PM. 

To open a PM to read it, double click on the yellow envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message.  You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

kstaffieri,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Do you have a HD box and does your billing say that the box is a HD box?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I have had an HD box for 18+ months and my bill states that.  In fact, my bill has almost doubled since I first joined Comcast 18+ months ago for the exact same service (Comcast Digital Starter; HD/Dvr service; high speed internet).

Official Employee

kstaffieri wrote:

Yes, I have had an HD box for 18+ months and my bill states that.  In fact, my bill has almost doubled since I first joined Comcast 18+ months ago for the exact same service (Comcast Digital Starter; HD/Dvr service; high speed internet).

Try using a different web browser and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

@starrigger:  did you do anything different to get the SD / HD option to appear?  I've tried using a different computer, all three major browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome) with NO success.  Curious why some people are seeing the option and others are not.  

I wonder if it has to do with the location of residence?  Choice of TV Guide menu?

Frequent Visitor

In a post from yesterday, I mentioned that I did try all three different browsers and even a different computer... "I even just tried on a different computer and still do not see the option. I also tried different browsers, Chrome, Firefox and IE with no success."  

I wonder if it has to do with the location of residence?  Choice of TV Guide menu?

Contributor

There's a problem with the scheduling system.   I am trying to schedule CSI: NY in HD for all channels. 

A. Using the cable box I get the channel that I set the recording with in HD.  All other recordings get SD.

B. Using the Queue on my PC, I searched for CSI NY.  When I set up the season recording it gave me the option buttons for HD or SD.   Still wound up with the SD channels AND it failed to pick up tonight's new episode at 9:00 PM (Eastern).  

I have tried the suggestions in other threads, but they don't work.

Official Employee

A. Using the cable box I get the channel that I set the recording with in HD.  All other recordings get SD.

From what specific channel were you on when you set this series recording (CBS, CBSHD, TNT, etc.)

B. Using the Queue on my PC, I searched for CSI NY.  When I set up the season recording it gave me the option buttons for HD or SD.   Still wound up with the SD channels AND it failed to pick up tonight's new episode at 9:00 PM (Eastern).  

Recording all channels overrides the HD/SD button. I do not know why it did not pick up tonight's episode. Does it show any episodes for 3/1/13?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

Recording all channels overrides the HD/SD button?

That doesn't make any sense.  It should be that choosing HD overrides anything else.  I have been trying to record Wipeout, which airs on TruTV, TBS, and occasionally ABC.  I only like to watch HD channels since SD looks awful on my TV.  So you're telling me there's no way to simply set up a series recording that will get all the episodes, new and repeats, on all HD channels?

Contributor

ComcastJoe wrote:

From what specific channel were you on when you set this series recording (CBS, CBSHD, TNT, etc.)

Recording all channels overrides the HD/SD button. I do not know why it did not pick up tonight's episode. Does it show any episodes for 3/1/13?

Thanks,
Joe

Joe,

The series recording was based on ch. 804 CBSHD.    It set up rerun recordings on 2/27 for TNT and SPIKE, both SD.    It did not set up a recording for 3/1 as CSI is not on the schedule.  

Contributor

Any updates on this issue?   I had an all channel series recording properly picking up all HD channels which broke in the last day or so.

Regular Visitor

I have this issue too on the web based version, and it seems dependant on show for me as well.  For example "The Office" and "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" both have SD/HD options.  However, "The Bible" does not and defaults to the SD version.  I think by going to the show time, finding it on the HD channel and doing the record series from there I ~might~ have gotten it set for HD, althogh the recording settings now say 175 SD, where 175 is the HD channel, but it indicates SD after it for some reason?

I've also tried in multiple browsers, I have an HD capable receiver, etc.  I agree with previous comments, there are some odd situations where its not showing the choice and its either show dependent, or from some of ComcastJoe's feedback perhaps its both show and user logon dependent.

Thanks,

\Peter

New Poster

This is absolutely infuriating. The issue is this:

Whether you do it online or via the DVR, as of right now you CAN NOT set up a series recording that records on all channels in HD only. This has obviously been a problem for a long time and I am stunned that there is not a simle fix for this.

Comcast Joe, please tell someone who has a clue that this needs to be fixed immediately. 

Thank you,

Lew189

Contributor

The easy fix would be to allow multiple series recording for the same program.  As it is now, the series is based on the program name.  It the series was tied to both the program name and channel, it would allow multiple series recordings on different channels and get us past the problem of SD vs. HD.

Contributor

I'll second that.  When I couldn't get Wipeout to record in HD in ALL channels, I thought okay I'll set up an HD recording on one channel, then set another HD recording on another channel.  But it wouldn't even allow me to do that.  So now every week I have to go through and cancel all the individual SD recordings and set the correct HD versions instead.  I just don't know why they can't fix this, other than the fact that Comcast doesn't give a carp about what their customers want.  Someday that attitude is going to come back and bite them in the ...

New Poster

We just got X1 a couple of days ago. I have several problems with it. I too am having problems with a series recording SD instead of HD. I've even tried to set them up from my Ipad and it says it's doing HD, but then records SD. Also when I click on "Options" it freezes my TV. So I have to turn the box off and on to get it unstuck. We have a service call for our security system (that is also not working). I might see if they have insight into these issues too.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats