Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Secondary output detected...

Contributor

Secondary output detected...

I used the XFinity player for Android and had done so successfully until today.

I have CableCARDs instead of a cable box which means I can't use OnDemand or PPV through my TV becuase of the lack of a two-way switched video standard for CableCARDs.  In order to use OnDemand I always used the XFinity player app on my android device and plugged it's HDMI output into my TV so I could watch the shows on my big screen.

Today, for the first time, the app is complaining about a secondary output being detected and stopping playback.  I get the need to protect against misuse, but isn't there some other way?  This was my only way to watch OnDemand content on a screen bigger than my cell phone since you can't get the OnDemand channels through CableCARDs.

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Secondary output detected...

output from the xfinity tv app has always been disabled for apple devices, its a license issue.   Do you have an xbox360 you can get on demand that way.  on demand is also rolling out across the country to new tivos.

If you had this working on phone you were lucky.

Contributor

I'd never tried it with my iPhone because I didn't have a convenient way to output the video.  On my android tablet though I have HDMI out so I can hook it up to my TV and its always worked.  Until last night that is.

Official Employee

Slug_DC wrote:

I'd never tried it with my iPhone because I didn't have a convenient way to output the video.  On my android tablet though I have HDMI out so I can hook it up to my TV and its always worked.  Until last night that is.

Due to licensing agreements, our content providers require that we block external output on the Xfinity TV Player App and the XFINITY TV App.

Sorry,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

I understand.  It just stinks that now I have no real way to watch OnDemand content on my TV.  It's like a whole facet of the service that is unavailable to me at this point.

Official Employee

Slug_DC wrote:

I understand.  It just stinks that now I have no real way to watch OnDemand content on my TV.  It's like a whole facet of the service that is unavailable to me at this point.

If you have a PC or Mac desktop/laptop, you can watch videos from XFINITY.com/tv on your TV using HDMI.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

I do have a PC, but it's not really portable.  The android tablet replaced my laptop.

That brings up an interesting question though, as far as the licensing agreement goes.  If you access Xfinity TV through one of the apps (iOS or Android) then you must disable secondary output.  But if you access Xfinity TV through a web browser, then secondary output is allowed?  What difference does viewing the video via browser versus app make to the content publisher, I wonder?  Just seems odd.

And now that I think about it, is there any reason I couldn't just forget the app and just go to Xfinity TV through Chrome on my tablet?  I could output my tablets video and it shouldn't complain because it's the browser version, not the app version.  Hmmm...solution found, maybe?  

Official Employee

Slug_DC wrote:

I do have a PC, but it's not really portable.  The android tablet replaced my laptop.

That brings up an interesting question though, as far as the licensing agreement goes.  If you access Xfinity TV through one of the apps (iOS or Android) then you must disable secondary output.  But if you access Xfinity TV through a web browser, then secondary output is allowed?  What difference does viewing the video via browser versus app make to the content publisher, I wonder?  Just seems odd.

And now that I think about it, is there any reason I couldn't just forget the app and just go to Xfinity TV through Chrome on my tablet?  I could output my tablets video and it shouldn't complain because it's the browser version, not the app version.  Hmmm...solution found, maybe?  

"What difference does viewing the video via browser versus app make to the content publisher, I wonder?"

"Is there any reason I couldn't just forget the app and just go to Xfinity TV through Chrome on my tablet?"

The rights for tablets/mobile devices, desktop/laptop, and TV are all different. Since many networks do not allow their content on tablets and other similar devices yet, XFINITY.com/tv through Chrome on your tablet will not work. You can only watch videos on your tablet through the XFINITY TV Player App.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

That really is a shame then.  I'm going to miss having OnDemand. Smiley Sad

Silver Problem Solver

do you have an xbox360 you can watch it that way, you can also stream from your pc to your tv using many third party applications like slingbox.

New Poster

This another reason why I cut Xfinity tv. What difference does it make whether you view it on your 4.3 phone screen or a larger one? I was tired of getting Comcasted.

JE

Problem Solver

chumanchu wrote:

This another reason why I cut Xfinity tv. What difference does it make whether you view it on your 4.3 phone screen or a larger one? I was tired of getting Comcasted.

JE

You could ask that of the networks that are usually the ones that put in, or at least require restrictions of this sort.

New Poster

this is total bull Comcast Joe, most people are ditching their laptops and other portable pc's for things of the future like Android TV Boxes like myself.  It was solely developed for the purposes of getting all the goodness of android to your tv and the only connection it has is an HDMI output.  that is totally absurd that that would have anything to do with licensing.  Doesn't Comcast hold the licensing for its own app?  if you can watch it on your phone, then you should be able to watch it on your tv using the same exact app cuz you yourself hold the licensing, it should make no difference what device you watch it on!

Regular Visitor

I think the problem is that you're not subscribed to OnDemand or are you...?
Problem Solver

onelovekir wrote:

this is total bull Comcast Joe, most people are ditching their laptops and other portable pc's for things of the future like Android TV Boxes like myself.  It was solely developed for the purposes of getting all the goodness of android to your tv and the only connection it has is an HDMI output.  that is totally absurd that that would have anything to do with licensing.  Doesn't Comcast hold the licensing for its own app?  if you can watch it on your phone, then you should be able to watch it on your tv using the same exact app cuz you yourself hold the licensing, it should make no difference what device you watch it on!

Comcast might hold the licesense for the app, but the content that the app provides comes from the networks which get to decide on various terms/conditions/requirements that relate to that content and where and how it can be used.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation