Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Screensaver Interupts Program

New Poster

Screensaver Interupts Program

We have Xfinity for internet, TV and phone.  This relates to the TV service.

When we pause the TV, after a while the picture changes to a rotating set of nature scenes.  We are used to seeing this screensaver operate when paused.

Tonight I used the Xfinity box to watch an HBO moviem "Wizard of Lies".  It was not a scheduled movie, I found it through the Search facility and was playing it on demand from the HBO movie library.  Through the ENTIRE MOVIE, every few minutes the image would change from the movie to the rotating set of nature scenes (screen saver), EXACTLY as though it was paused.  I would hit the main button the remote to return to the movie.  All the while it was playing, the sound and movie continued normally except for the picture.

Searching your Community forum I came across a similar complaint from THREE YEARS AGO.  A response from LF66063, ComcastLinda, shows as having had "33,816 Views".  I quote "The screen saver is designed to come on when there is no input from the remote for a certain time frame." Certainly that can not apply to WATCHING A PROGRAM???  I have not needed to constantly fiddle with the remote to watch anything else in the months since we switched to XFinity.

The idea of a screensaver is to avoid buring in an image on a display screen because the same image is shown for extended periods.  It makes sense when a program is paused.  It makes no sense when a program is running and being watched as the image is contantly changing.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Screensaver Interupts Program

The screen saver will kick in if you leave the X1 box in pause or if you leave a menu item up on the screen.

You can change the interval before the screen saver kicks in... Up to elght hours.
Valued Contributor

RHinCT wrote:

We have Xfinity for internet, TV and phone.  This relates to the TV service.

When we pause the TV, after a while the picture changes to a rotating set of nature scenes.  We are used to seeing this screensaver operate when paused.

Tonight I used the Xfinity box to watch an HBO moviem "Wizard of Lies".  It was not a scheduled movie, I found it through the Search facility and was playing it on demand from the HBO movie library.  Through the ENTIRE MOVIE, every few minutes the image would change from the movie to the rotating set of nature scenes (screen saver), EXACTLY as though it was paused.  I would hit the main button the remote to return to the movie.  All the while it was playing, the sound and movie continued normally except for the picture.

Searching your Community forum I came across a similar complaint from THREE YEARS AGO.  A response from LF66063, ComcastLinda, shows as having had "33,816 Views".  I quote "The screen saver is designed to come on when there is no input from the remote for a certain time frame." Certainly that can not apply to WATCHING A PROGRAM???  I have not needed to constantly fiddle with the remote to watch anything else in the months since we switched to XFinity.

The idea of a screensaver is to avoid buring in an image on a display screen because the same image is shown for extended periods.  It makes sense when a program is paused.  It makes no sense when a program is running and being watched as the image is contantly changing.

Screensaver settings:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-screen-saver/

Official Employee

Hello RHinCT, were you able to get this issue figured out from the past posts? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

ComcastShane, thanks for responding.  I am just getting back here for the first time since I reported the problem.

No.  Neither the past posts nor the suggestions from fellow users were of any help.  The screensaver should never, regardless of settings, interupt a program being watched.

The problem occured again the same night when my wife was watching a program we had recorded.  I tried the next obvious thing, and tried to restart it.  The remote would not take me anywhere that could be done; the settings button did not work.  So on the box I held down the button in the glowing blue circle for a while, then tried some other buttons, and somehow I convinced the box to restart, a prolonged process.  It did eventually finish.  In the 48 hours or so since then we have not had a recurrence of the problem.  I am hoping the reboot was a solution, at least until next time.  You might want to suggest it the next time someone reports a screensaver interupting viewing an active program.

Thanks, and good luck!
RH in CT

Official Employee

Thank you RHinCT for giving me that update. We will definitely do that, if you need any further help going forward please reach out to us, we are always here to assist. Have a great night.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation