Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Scheduling recordings at website

Frequent Visitor

Scheduling recordings at website

Just venting.  I am hoping that these problems will eventally be fixed, but if they're not known, they won't be, so here goes round 1.

Using the guide to schedule recordings:  If I use favorites when going through the guide, the entire guide randomly jumps back to the current time instead of moving forward so I can schedule programs to record.  It makes it very difficult and time consuming to schedule recordings for the day.  The problem only occurs if viewing favorites.  Please fix this.

As a workaround to this problem, I found that could also view the guide at http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv-listings and could even set my favorites there.  And from there I could go through the entire day without ever once jumping back to the current time.  I could right click on a listing and then click on record and schedule a recording.  It WAS great!  Until this morning.  When I tried to schedule my recordings this morning, I found that clicking on record would just take me to the DVR manager where I could view what shows were scheduled to be recorded but couldn't schedule the new recording.  Since the fix would only involve backing out whatever ill-advised change you put in yesterday or today, please fix this NOW. 

Mike

Problem Solver

Re: Scheduling recordings at website

Just a quick comment:

I also use the web site to watch TV and schedule DVR recordings (for similar reasons).  However, with respect to "favorites", note the the "favorites" you set up on the web site are completely separate from those you store in the "Guide" on your cable box (at least for me using the X1 platform).  I wish they were syncronized, since setting them is so much easier on the web site, and perhaps they will be eventually.

Also, since it is a web site, the behavior can sometimes be affected by your browser's internet cache.  Whenever I have problems like you descibe, the first thing I do is "dump" the cache and clear all browser cookies.  Often that will clear things up.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the tip, bellvuebob.  I didn't do anything to my browser and tried the recording button again today and it works like it did before.  Now I don't know if some random change to my browser or a fix by comcast corrected the problem, but whichever, I'm glad that that part is back to the way it used to be. 

Now if they could only fix the time-jumping problem.  And while they're at it, I wish that either on the DVR itself or on the website they would give us a way to jump into the future to set a recording.  I hate it when I see that such and such a show (which I would really like to see) will be aired on Thursday and I can't jump my guide into the future to set the recordling.  Sure, I could go forward 3 or 4 hours at a time to get there, but what a pain.

Problem Solver

I use the web site to look for upcoming programs myself.  Instead of scrolling the window in 3 hour increments, just use the "Date" and "Time" filters on the left hand part of the page.

If you ddon't know when a program is next on, you can type the program name in the "Search" box, open the page, click "AVAILABLE ON TV", and click the "Upcoming TV listings" radio button. There you can click the "Record" button to schedule a recording.

It took me a little time to figure it all out, but I find it very handy.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, Bellvuebob.  Excellent tips.  I can tell I'll be using those features a lot.

Problem Solver

One more tip:  if you click the "Customize Listings" box on the top right of the grid, you can adjust a few display settings.  I personally use a "5 hour" display and "Compact" height.  You can also switch the sort order between channel number and alphabetical.

Plus, setting "favorite" channels is so much easier using the web site (just click the "heart").  I hope the favorite settings will someday "sync" with those stored on the x1 box.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation