Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Satellite boxes losing signal

ANSWERED
Contributor

Satellite boxes losing signal

I have 1 X1 DVR / Box and one satellite associated directly with it.  3 times now I have gone to watch tv (Vizio Smartcast 4k UHD) using the satellite HD box and see "No Signal on HDMI4"  This is a smartcast tv, with 4 HDMI inputs, 1 component input.  I have tried connecting to all 4 HDMI ports and get the same response.  The solution (all 3 times), has been to unplug the box, then go to the X1 box, unplug it, plug the X1 back in, wait for it to fully boot up ( I test it after by turning tv on).  Then I go to the satellite and plug it in, wait for it to fully boot, then it works.  

The next time I go to turn the tv on, it happens again.  

3 times it has happened lately.  To say it is frustrating is an understatement.  Especially when I paying nearly $200 a month for this "service".

Accepted Solution

Re: Satellite boxes losing signal

So last night I swapped the input from HDMI1 to HDMI4 and it worked.  I left it on HDMI 4.  I tried the tv this am at about 4:45am and it worked fine.  I am thinking that this entire issue may have been due to the gateway needing to be restarted and possible, the X1 was finishing up the daily update.  I will keep this in mind, should it happen again.  In regards to the update, I would like to change the time, but the time slots avail are not useful to us.  We use the system all times of the day.  SAdly the allowed time slots are in 2-hr increments and are not customizeable.  For example; 10-12pm is not good, 11-1pm is, 12-2pm is not good...My pref would be something like 1:30am to 3:30am.  Or 10:30am to 12:30pm

View answer in context
Service Expert

What is the model name of the satellites?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Seeing any RDK or XRE error messages???

You could always have Comcast send a tech out...

EaglesRidge wrote:

I have 1 X1 DVR / Box and one satellite associated directly with it.  3 times now I have gone to watch tv using the satellite and see "No Signal on HDMI4"  This is a smartcast tv, with 4 HDMI inputs, 1 component input.  I have tried connecting to all 4 HDMI ports and get the same response.  The solution (all 3 times), has been to unplug the box, then go to the X1 box, unplug it, plug the X1 back in, wait for it to fully boot up ( I test it after by turning tv on).  Then I go to the satellite and plug it in, wait for it to fully boot, then it works.  

The next time I go to turn the tv on, it happens again.  

3 times it has happened lately.  To say it is frustrating is an understatement.  Especially when I paying nearly $200 a month for this "service".

Contributor

Not sure, at work at the moment.  I will have to check when I get home.  Have one that is HD and can access recordings on the X1, then have 2 SD boxes, yet they get similar issues, where the signal is lost and have to be disconnected / reconnected to get signal.

Contributor

If /when it provides en error message I will provide it.  

Contributor

Again!!!

Came home, just tried it and sure enough, will not work.  No error message, just says to "check to see if the device is connected and powered on. Or press the input button to select the input for the storage device"  Obviously this is more of a TV issue, yet If I unplug and replug the box, it still does not work.  If I go upstairs and uplug / replug the X1, then reconnect the satellite box, it works fine.  This tells me it is an X1 issue.

Box is m/n PX032ANI, p/n, D8903410501, s/n PAAB11337090

Official Employee

EaglesRidge wrote:

Again!!!

Came home, just tried it and sure enough, will not work.  No error message, just says to "check to see if the device is connected and powered on. Or press the input button to select the input for the storage device"  Obviously this is more of a TV issue, yet If I unplug and replug the box, it still does not work.  If I go upstairs and uplug / replug the X1, then reconnect the satellite box, it works fine.  This tells me it is an X1 issue.

Box is m/n PX032ANI, p/n, D8903410501, s/n PAAB11337090

Can you give any detail about how your cable is ran? Splitters, amps, etc. Presently there is no moca (how the boxes talk) communication between the 2 devices. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

cable is brought into the house from the curbbox, once in the house it goes into a powered amplified 8-port distribution panel.  The X1 is on the 1st floor as is the internet modem/router, the HD satellite is in the basement.  There is a SD box on the 1st and 2nd floors.  THis problem started up about 1 week ago.

Official Employee

EaglesRidge wrote:

cable is brought into the house from the curbbox, once in the house it goes into a powered amplified 8-port distribution panel.  The X1 is on the 1st floor as is the internet modem/router, the HD satellite is in the basement.  There is a SD box on the 1st and 2nd floors.  THis problem started up about 1 week ago.

It's possible that the distribution panel is blocking the moca from communicating. I would try bypassing the panel with splitters. Or have a tech out to install a proper amplifier.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

And yet, this wants to fail after 2 years of service?  The prior install (when we moved in) was one cable in then about 6 splitters (splitters off of splitters).  Again, this worked fine until last week.  I will check it though.  Also, still makes no sense when it will work "AFTER" I reset the X1 box.  This tells me it is not a physical cable issue

Contributor

tried with just using splitters for internet / X1 / Satellite.  No help.

I did notice something interesting.  I thought I would try a different piort on the TV.  The HDMI4 port is the most accessible, which is why it was chosen.  When trying to move to a different port, I noticed that the metal banding on the HDMI cable (says XFINITY, so it is OEM), slipped right off.  Now I am thinking that the HDMI cable is suspect.  I have others I can try tonight when I get home.  Still even if it was an HDMI issue, it does not explain why I would have to reset the X1 to get it work.

Gold Problem Solver

X1 has greatly different signal and connection requirements. What worked for previous platforms do not always work for X1.

Comcast Andrew mentioned earlier that there is no MOCA signal which means your setup isn't connected properly for X1 to work.

If the X1 setup once worked and now doesn't that means something has changed. You just aren't aware of what it is...
Contributor

I can appreciate this, however, to my knowledge, nothing has changed.  We have not added any components, done any moves, nor has there been any work in the area.  I will try the new HDMI cable tonight.

Official Employee

The HDMI has nothing to do with the 2 boxes communicating. Something else to try is temporarily swapping locations of the 2 boxes. Check if the moca light on your gateway is on or off. Or it’s possible it’s the equipment.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

Ok, I will try swapping.  I have a TV in the room adjacent to the X1 that I an try.  What is the MOCA light?  The HD Satellite has a bright greenish / blue light that is always on.

Official Employee

The gateway is your modem, not the cable box.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

Okay, guess I should have read that more closely.  Sadly, I forget that the internet / cable for tv are related.  Still used to the old systems where the Modem was only for internet.  So, what light would indicate MOCA 

Official Employee

It’s on the back by the coax connection

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

I will also add that the TV is a Vizio Smarcast 4K,UHD  Not sure if makes a difference.

Official Employee

Nope it doesn’t. It’s all the lack of communication between the boxes, not between boxes and TVs.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

Ok, good to know.  I will check on the light tonight.  Will also change the HDMI cable as I do not like the exposed wires.

Contributor

So, now it works.  Here is exactly what I did.  

1.  I checked the modem for lights, there was one light where the cat 5E cable is connected (Modem to back up drive).  See pick.

2.  I unplugged the modem, then reconnected about 10 seconds later

3.  I went to the tv in question (basement).  I used same HDMI cable (could not find a spare).  I moved the HDMI from HDMI4 to HDMI1.

4.  I used the Xfinity remote and turned on (power all), and it came on quickly.  I did notice the connection seemed quite snowy, like it had a poor signal.  I rechecked the cable and HDMI connections and the signal improved.

Not sure if it was resetting the modem or changing ports on the TV.  I will check again in the morning (about 4am), which when I typically use this tv.

Attached is the pic of the back of the modem.

2017-11-29 17.50.33.jpg
Official Employee

Everything looks good now. What time do you have your dvr set for it's nightly reboot?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

That I can not tell you.  though I will say that with the previous issues I had, that was a suspician, however, every time I went to reset the X1, the clock was displaying the correct time, so it was not in a reboot.

I was thinking that I should look into that.  As I am an early riser during the week (up at 3:45am) and the wife is usually up late, I am thinking of having it set for sometime during the late morning.

Contributor

Also meant to add that the back of the modem looked no different before / after the reset.

Service Expert

EaglesRidge wrote:

That I can not tell you.  though I will say that with the previous issues I had, that was a suspician, however, every time I went to reset the X1, the clock was displaying the correct time, so it was not in a reboot.

I was thinking that I should look into that.  As I am an early riser during the week (up at 3:45am) and the wife is usually up late, I am thinking of having it set for sometime during the late morning.

There is a Setting for when the box will reboot.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/changing-daily-update-time/

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Great, I appreciate it.  Go figure that the default is 3-4am and my issues were first encountered around 3:50-3:55am, though I did see them later in the day as well.

Official Employee

Was it working this morning?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

Yes it was.  It was at about 3:50, so that might not have been the issue.  I think that tonight I will do a test and turn it on "as-is" in HDMI 1, see if it works.  If yes, I will turn off, switch to HDMI 4 and try again.

Official Employee

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us. I would be happy to assist you from here. Can you verify your account information with me? I would need your phone number, full name, and service address. You can private message me by clicking my name and clicking private message.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

So last night I swapped the input from HDMI1 to HDMI4 and it worked.  I left it on HDMI 4.  I tried the tv this am at about 4:45am and it worked fine.  I am thinking that this entire issue may have been due to the gateway needing to be restarted and possible, the X1 was finishing up the daily update.  I will keep this in mind, should it happen again.  In regards to the update, I would like to change the time, but the time slots avail are not useful to us.  We use the system all times of the day.  SAdly the allowed time slots are in 2-hr increments and are not customizeable.  For example; 10-12pm is not good, 11-1pm is, 12-2pm is not good...My pref would be something like 1:30am to 3:30am.  Or 10:30am to 12:30pm

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation