New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Re: X1 TV Box Comparison - DVR vs. Non-DVR

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

I currently have anyroom DVR set up as follows:

One XG1 DVR cable box and two Pace RNG150N boxes which each cost $9.95/month.

Can I swap the two RNG150N boxes?  Wife records a lot and wants to still be able to record 4

programs while everone is watching live TV using all the boxes.

Would it be best to get one XG2 box and one Xi3 box?  Assuming I can swap them.

Or is there a better combination?  And would the swap increase my monthly bill?

Thanks in advance. 

Accepted Solution

Final result:
I decided to get one Xid and one XG2 instead of two XG2s.
I thought the smaller size of the Xid would fit into my bedroom tv shelves better than the XG2 which is larger. I do not need the XG2s extra audio capabilities in the bedroom, nor any additional tuners.
I do not notice any difference in the two companion boxes regarding how they display video or their responsiveness. They are both very responsive. Much, much better than the RNG-150s. Now the voice matches the lips, no lag. Also no sporadic freezing and having to reboot the boxes, yet.
I wanted the XG2 so I would not lose any ability to record multiple programs at the same time, and so the Xid would use its tuners rather than my XG1 tuners.
I was surprised how easy it was to set up both companion boxes. It took about five minutes to set up the XG2, and only a couple minutes to set up the Xid. Only problem I encountered was that the XG2 defaulted to a 720 resolution on my 60 inch tv and I had to change it to 1080p in the settings.
Pairing the remotes was easy. The Xr11 can only control volume on my Yamaha receiver, but that was the case with my previous remote.
Positive observations:
Much faster response time.
Can access web based apps.
Resolution and color appears better.
I love the voice control for detailed searches.
I love being able to pause and rewind live tv.
The local Xfinity store was quick and the service courteous. Seven people were ahead of me, but I only had to wait about five minutes.
All in all a very good experience.
I wish I did this sooner.
Thanks again for everyones help.

View answer in context
Official Employee

Surge2 wrote:

I currently have anyroom DVR set up as follows:

One XG1 DVR cable box and two Pace RNG150N boxes which each cost $9.95/month.

Can I swap the two RNG150N boxes?  Wife records a lot and wants to still be able to record 4

programs while everone is watching live TV using all the boxes.

Would it be best to get one XG2 box and one Xi3 box?  Assuming I can swap them.

Or is there a better combination?  And would the swap increase my monthly bill?

Thanks in advance. 

Yes an XG2 and and Xid is the way to go. That will get you 6 recordings at a time or 5 and one channel for live tv.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the quick response.

I assume there will be no additional charge for using those boxes vs the RNG150N ones?

And from what  i gather the Xid is a bit better than the Xi3.

Aside from being able to record more I would get faster response from the remotes, obtain access to web based apps, and be able to use the newest voice remotes.  

That sounds great.  I will check to see if I can do the swap at my local Infinity store/service store.

Gold Problem Solver

Not to disagree with Andrew but swap both RNG-150's for XG2s.

The XG2 is a better box than any of the Xi boxes but they are the same price.

Surge2 wrote:

Thanks for the quick response.

I assume there will be no additional charge for using those boxes vs the RNG150N ones?

And from what  i gather the Xid is a bit better than the Xi3.

Aside from being able to record more I would get faster response from the remotes, obtain access to web based apps, and be able to use the newest voice remotes.  

That sounds great.  I will check to see if I can do the swap at my local Infinity store/service store.

Frequent Visitor

So in effect the XG2 boxes would serve as companion boxes for the XG1, the same as the RNG150N. Only better as they would have their own tuners and additional capabilities like pausing and rewinding live tv, and the ability to show web based apps such as youtube?

I assume any recording done on the XG1 could be viewed on the two XG2 boxes as well as requested on the XG2 boxes? 

I will probably do that if its allowed.  The RNG150Ns seem to be sluggish in response, do not support web based apps or the use of the voice remotes, and do not allow pausing live tv.  Quite a number of drawbacks that I would like to fix.  Hopefully thisvwill do the trick at no added expense.

Thanks for confirming that the price will not change.

Gold Problem Solver

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

The RNG-150 is the least desirable of all X1 boxes.

Surge2 wrote:

So in effect the XG2 boxes would serve as companion boxes for the XG1, the same as the RNG150N. Only better as they would have their own tuners and additional capabilities like pausing and rewinding live tv, and the ability to show web based apps such as youtube?

I assume any recording done on the XG1 could be viewed on the two XG2 boxes as well as requested on the XG2 boxes? 

I will probably do that if its allowed.  The RNG150Ns seem to be sluggish in response, do not support web based apps or the use of the voice remotes, and do not allow pausing live tv.  Quite a number of drawbacks that I would like to fix.  Hopefully thisvwill do the trick at no added expense.

Thanks for confirming that the price will not change.

Service Expert

adding..

your current setup gives you the same number of recording channels. If your DVR is a pace version 1 it has only 5 tuners available (the rng150s have their own tuners).. Using your DVR remote, give voice command 'about'. please reply back with the STB version (like mine is MX011AN).

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

My STB version is MXO11AN_2.12p4s1.  

Sorry for the late reply, I have a cold and went to sleep early.

I will be looking up install procedures now and confirming that the Xfinity store has the companion

XG2 boxes available before I do the swap.

Thanks again to all the people who helped.  Gathering all the information by searching the forum 

was difficult as some information was several years old.  It was nice to get tge most up to date information as a lot of things changed tge last few years.

Service Expert

Surge2 wrote:

My STB version is MXO11AN_2.12p4s1.  

Sorry for the late reply, I have a cold and went to sleep early.

I will be looking up install procedures now and confirming that the Xfinity store has the companion

XG2 boxes available before I do the swap.

Thanks again to all the people who helped.  Gathering all the information by searching the forum 

was difficult as some information was several years old.  It was nice to get tge most up to date information as a lot of things changed tge last few years.

ok cool, that means you do have 6 tuners available. If you have one Xg2 and up to 3 more XiD companions then all your tuners are available at the same time on the DVR (so you can watch 1 live 'linear'(numbered) channel and be recording on 5 other programs or be recording on 6 channels and watching a previous recording on your DVR. Apps are also available if all 6 tuners are recording at the same time.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I had read on this forum that the XG1 had 6 tuners, but that one was not being used.  Probably old information from years ago.

Was the sixth tuner activated by a software update at some time, or were all six tuners always active?  Or were there two different models of the XG1, one with five tuners and one with six?

I am just curious.  Kind of a moot point now.

Official Employee

There are 2 different models of DVR,  one has 5 tuners, one has 6. Each Xi device uses one of those tuners

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Final result:
I decided to get one Xid and one XG2 instead of two XG2s.
I thought the smaller size of the Xid would fit into my bedroom tv shelves better than the XG2 which is larger. I do not need the XG2s extra audio capabilities in the bedroom, nor any additional tuners.
I do not notice any difference in the two companion boxes regarding how they display video or their responsiveness. They are both very responsive. Much, much better than the RNG-150s. Now the voice matches the lips, no lag. Also no sporadic freezing and having to reboot the boxes, yet.
I wanted the XG2 so I would not lose any ability to record multiple programs at the same time, and so the Xid would use its tuners rather than my XG1 tuners.
I was surprised how easy it was to set up both companion boxes. It took about five minutes to set up the XG2, and only a couple minutes to set up the Xid. Only problem I encountered was that the XG2 defaulted to a 720 resolution on my 60 inch tv and I had to change it to 1080p in the settings.
Pairing the remotes was easy. The Xr11 can only control volume on my Yamaha receiver, but that was the case with my previous remote.
Positive observations:
Much faster response time.
Can access web based apps.
Resolution and color appears better.
I love the voice control for detailed searches.
I love being able to pause and rewind live tv.
The local Xfinity store was quick and the service courteous. Seven people were ahead of me, but I only had to wait about five minutes.
All in all a very good experience.
I wish I did this sooner.
Thanks again for everyones help.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation