Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Re: Recorded shows disappearing

Frequent Visitor

We are having the exact same problem.  

Our DVR is at about 48%, with 88 recordings.  We recorded Season 1 of Preacher, and the first four episodes have disappeared.  We recorded the last two episodes of Mech-X, and they have disappeared (Season 2 is still there).  All of them are available to purchase; however, I should not have to pay extra to watch the shows that we recorded and have plenty of room on our DVR for.  

We have already checked Deleted Recordings, they aren't there.  I checked the cloud DVR, they aren't there either, although it is showing 88% full with 48 recordings.  So which do I believe regarding available space, the DVR at home, or the cloud DVR?  And why are my DVR recordings disappearing??????  

Service Expert

buddykat wrote:

We are having the exact same problem.  

Our DVR is at about 48%, with 88 recordings.  We recorded Season 1 of Preacher, and the first four episodes have disappeared.  We recorded the last two episodes of Mech-X, and they have disappeared (Season 2 is still there).  All of them are available to purchase; however, I should not have to pay extra to watch the shows that we recorded and have plenty of room on our DVR for.  

We have already checked Deleted Recordings, they aren't there.  I checked the cloud DVR, they aren't there either, although it is showing 88% full with 48 recordings.  So which do I believe regarding available space, the DVR at home, or the cloud DVR?  And why are my DVR recordings disappearing??????  

IMDB shows those are over a year old (may of 2016), the maximum time is up to a year and it has been over that. I wasn't aware it would delete if space as not needed for upcoming scheduled recordings. the home DVR and cloud DVR are separate and have different capacities. the cloud DVR is limited to 60 hours maximum of recordings. the Home DVR doesn't count hours it uses the Hard drive until it is full. SD shows on the home DVR take up much less room than local-broadcast HD shows. the HD cable recordings in HD take up about the same as SD recordings now that they are in mpeg4. I like to think of it as different size storage cabinets to understand that one is in hours, the other is in 'hard drive' space. can't compare the percentages at all.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Hi, buddykat - Our service expert Rustyben provided an excellent answer about the difference between Cloud and DVR storage. Could you please specify when did you record the first four episodes of Preacher and last two of Mech-x? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

It is not because we DVR'd the shows over a year ago.  We haven't HAD Comcast for a year, we *just* got back on Comcast in February (we had Fios for 2 years before that).  And if you mean that stuff disappears once it's a year past the original air date no matter what, well, that's just foolish.  People would never be able to DVR older shows they hadn't seen before.  In fact, we're currently watching a TV movie that was originally aired in early 2016, we DVR'd it sometime this summer.  

Mech-X was recorded in August or September of this year; they were *originally* aired in January or February.  They aren't even a year old - period.  Preacher was recorded after Season 2 started, when it was in reruns in the middle of the night.

Also, we have several shows that we recorded BEFORE we recorded those two that are still on our DVR.  Still looks like they were removed simply because they were no longer available for free on demand, only pay. 

Service Expert

buddykat wrote:

It is not because we DVR'd the shows over a year ago.  We haven't HAD Comcast for a year, we *just* got back on Comcast in February (we had Fios for 2 years before that).  And if you mean that stuff disappears once it's a year past the original air date no matter what, well, that's just foolish.  People would never be able to DVR older shows they hadn't seen before.  In fact, we're currently watching a TV movie that was originally aired in early 2016, we DVR'd it sometime this summer.  

Mech-X was recorded in August or September of this year; they were *originally* aired in January or February.  They aren't even a year old - period.  Preacher was recorded after Season 2 started, when it was in reruns in the middle of the night.

Also, we have several shows that we recorded BEFORE we recorded those two that are still on our DVR.  Still looks like they were removed simply because they were no longer available for free on demand, only pay. 

I read the 'time' to begin on date recorded not original recording date. do you have a number of episodes to keep limit set in the series recording options?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

@buddykat - Thank you for the information. I see 5 episodes of Mech-X4 (recording date September 10) that should be available on your cable box. For Preacher, I see 8 episodes (recording dates September 8-11).  How many do you see? 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I see all of those episodes, however, there should be 12 episodes of Preacher and 7 episodes of Mech-X4.

For Mech-X4, we are specifically missing Season 1, Episodes 15 and 16.  We only have Season 2 Episodes.

For Preacher, we are missing the first 4 episodes of Season 1, we only have Season 1, Episodes 5 - 10 and Season 2, Episodes 12 and 13.  We are missing the first 4 episodes of Season 1.

I know we recorded them and had not had a chance to watch them.  When we tried to watch them, they weren't there.  They *are* available On Demand - for pay.  I refuse to pay to watch episodes I previously recorded.  

Official Employee

Hey buddykat,

If the shows are no longer available On Demand for free, this is something that is controlled by the networks itself. They decide when we can no longer offer them for free. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I understand that, my problem is that they are no longer on my DVR.  And they disappeared EXACTLY when they became available for pay instead of free.  

Is Comcast removing items from DVRs when they change from free to pay?

Official Employee

We don't have the ability to do that. However, I do want to look further into your issue. If your recordings are disappearing then there may be an issue with the actual box itself. 

Please send me a private message verifying following information: 

• First and last name of the account holder
  • Primary phone number on the account
  • The street address associated with your services
  • Full account number

To send a private message, click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

My shows are also disappearing from my DVR. My DVR is only at 8% full and my shows are all set at "Until Space Is Needed" but they are still vanishing from my Recordings. What is going on?
Official Employee

Hello DBellHudson, are you noticing all of your recordings being deleted or just one show that is missing? Have you tried to reboot your DVR? 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation