Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Re: Microsoft Silverlight

New Poster

I am getting this requests to reinstal Silverlight. What is this for??? Spyware? Can't watch the show, just ridiculous.

Tags (1)
Official Employee

yuri_dk wrote:

I am getting this requests to reinstal Silverlight. What is this for??? Spyware? Can't watch the show, just ridiculous.

Silverlight is needed to watch most content on XFINITY.com/tv.

Please follow the on-screen instructions and install it Silverlight.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Joe, it does not work afer numerous attempst.  Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Silverlight does not work in Firefox - keeps saying it needs upgrade

My Device Information My Zip Code: 94920 My Cable Provider: Not Installed My myDVR Manager Status: Activated My Set Top Box Names: DVR 1 My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: False Facebook Connect: Not Installed My public IP address: 71.204.142.53 My operating system: Windows - Undefined My web browser: Chrome 23 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.11 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Chrome/23.0.1271.64 Safari/537.11 My system type: Desktop Computer Or Other Device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: Unknown My flash version: 11.5 R31 Javascript: Enabled Cookies: Enabled (2607 Bytes) Time Information My Clock Time: Mon Nov 26 2012 11:35:01 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time) Server Clock Time: Mon Nov 26 2012 11:34:56 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

My Account Information Primary Account: True Provider Codes: S, Bi, Bj, Bq, Ce, Cd, Cf, G, Ak, Aw, Ar, Cg, Au, Bv, B, U, C, Br, Bt, Cm, H, Ad, Bw, D, Al, Bh, Ci, A, Y, Bx, Bb, Bc, Bu, By, Bs, At, Cb, Ch, E, Aj, Bz, Bm, Bl, Bk, Bp, Cj, Bo, Cc, F, M, Bn Internet Subscriber: True Cable TV Subscriber: True Voice Subscriber: True PLEASE HELP!!
Official Employee

radomilemark wrote:

Joe, it does not work afer numerous attempst.  Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.

What error message are you getting when trying to play a video?

Also, please send the URLs of the videos that you are trying to watch.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/Dexter/5439073586824568112/2308153819/Dexter%3A-Helter-Skelter/vi...

Xfinity keeps telling me to insall Silverlight despite it has been insalled and uninstalled multiple times.  I have even used a registry cleaner to eliminate all traces but no help.

Interestingly it works on my Windows 8 Professional Chrome but not on my Windows 7 Ultimate Chrome.

Official Employee

radomilemark wrote:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/Dexter/5439073586824568112/2308153819/Dexter%3A-Helter-Skelter/vi...

Xfinity keeps telling me to insall Silverlight despite it has been insalled and uninstalled multiple times.  I have even used a registry cleaner to eliminate all traces but no help.

Interestingly it works on my Windows 8 Professional Chrome but not on my Windows 7 Ultimate Chrome.

Since your Silverlight version is coming up as unknown, that means that you probably have some corrupted Silverlight files still on your computer.

Go here and please try using Microsoft's Fix It option for uninstalling Silverlight.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Tried your suggestion and uninstalled with Fixit as well as manual repair.  No success.

Official Employee

radomilemark wrote:

Tried your suggestion and uninstalled with Fixit as well as manual repair.  No success.

Try searching for Silverlight on your computer and see if any files appear. If so, please delete them.

Also, do you have any anti-virus software installed on your computer?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Silverlight 5.1.10411.0 is installed.  My virus and firewall are ESET Security Suite 5.0

Official Employee

radomilemark wrote:

Silverlight 5.1.10411.0 is installed.  My virus and firewall are ESET Security Suite 5.0

Version 5.1.10516.0 is needed to watch Silverlight videos.

Try removing all Silverlight files again and then download the version 5.1.10516.0 here:

Windows users

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry to say it still does not work.  Installed Version 5.1.10516.0 and checked that it installed properly.  Before install did a reg clean to clear all remnates of the older version and did a clean install.

Official Employee

radomilemark wrote:

Sorry to say it still does not work.  Installed Version 5.1.10516.0 and checked that it installed properly.  Before install did a reg clean to clear all remnates of the older version and did a clean install.

Try using a different web browser and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

I have the same problem as Radomilemark.  I get the message

"You're almost ready to watch (program name)
Please upgrade your Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video.  UPGRADE NOW"

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Silverlight several times, rebooted each time, cleaned the registry, done everything I can think of.

I get the same result with both Chrome and Firefox.  I'm using Windows 7-64.  I have Comcast's Norton protection package installed.

It was working fine yesterday.  I have the recommended settings according the Silverlight configuration tool.  What can I try next?

Official Employee

Garylben wrote:

I have the same problem as Radomilemark.  I get the message

"You're almost ready to watch (program name)
Please upgrade your Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video.  UPGRADE NOW"

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Silverlight several times, rebooted each time, cleaned the registry, done everything I can think of.

I get the same result with both Chrome and Firefox.  I'm using Windows 7-64.  I have Comcast's Norton protection package installed.

It was working fine yesterday.  I have the recommended settings according the Silverlight configuration tool.  What can I try next?

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Also, please send the URLs of the videos that you are trying to watch.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

I have the same issue here is my info and a link to a Vid I tried to watch...

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/The-Big-Bang-Theory/8118784557012618112/2305746518/Creepy-Candy-C...

My Device Information My Zip Code: Unknown My Cable Provider: Unknown My myDVR Manager Status: Not Installed My Set Top Box Names: Not Installed My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 174.57.119.190 My operating system: Windows - rv:18.0 My web browser: Firefox 18 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/18.0 Firefox/18.0 My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 5.1.10411.0 My flash version: 11.5 r502 Javascript: enabled Cookies: Enabled (2945 Bytes) Time Information My Clock Time: Thu Nov 29 2012 09:37:27 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) Server Clock Time: Thu Nov 29 2012 09:37:19 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
My Account Information Primary Account: False Provider Codes: s, bi, bj, bq, ce, cd, cf, aw, ar, cg, au, bv, b, u, br, bt, ca, ai, h, ad, bw, d, al, bh, ci, a, y, bx, bb, bc, bu, by, bs, at, cb, ch, e, aj, bz, bm, bl, bp, bo, cc, f, m, bn Internet Subscriber: True Cable TV Subscriber: True Voice Subscriber: False
Official Employee

Doug1762 wrote:

I have the same issue here is my info and a link to a Vid I tried to watch...

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/The-Big-Bang-Theory/8118784557012618112/2305746518/Creepy-Candy-C...

My Device Information My Zip Code: Unknown My Cable Provider: Unknown My myDVR Manager Status: Not Installed My Set Top Box Names: Not Installed My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 174.57.119.190 My operating system: Windows - rv:18.0 My web browser: Firefox 18 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/18.0 Firefox/18.0 My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 5.1.10411.0 My flash version: 11.5 r502 Javascript: enabled Cookies: Enabled (2945 Bytes) Time Information My Clock Time: Thu Nov 29 2012 09:37:27 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time) Server Clock Time: Thu Nov 29 2012 09:37:19 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
My Account Information Primary Account: False Provider Codes: s, bi, bj, bq, ce, cd, cf, aw, ar, cg, au, bv, b, u, br, bt, ca, ai, h, ad, bw, d, al, bh, ci, a, y, bx, bb, bc, bu, by, bs, at, cb, ch, e, aj, bz, bm, bl, bp, bo, cc, f, m, bn Internet Subscriber: True Cable TV Subscriber: True Voice Subscriber: False

Completely uninstall Silverlight from your computer. Then download and install Silverlight from the appropriate link below:

Windows users 

This is a patched version that fixes most video playback issues and gets you out of the "Please install/upgrade Silverlight" loop.

Follow all the on-screen instructions and then try playing videos again. Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Have tried again to no avail. See below.

You're almost ready to watch

Please install the Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video.

I have tried Chrome, Firefox and IE. It simplly does not work. Since no web browser works then all I can assume is that the problem lies in the following two areas:

Silverlight - bad software that Microsoft is rumored to end distribution.

Xfinity Web Site- since there are multiple complaints perhaps you should look at your site and test it with various operating systems both 32 and 64 bit.

To be kind, I am truly tied of being a "beta tester" trying to find a work-around to an error that may have its    basis in your code and how it relates to Windows 7 64 bit.

I do appreciate your efforts however Xfinity must find the root of the problem and not foist a "work-around" on the consumer.

Thank you.

Marco Radomile

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation