Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Re: 1080p setting keeps reverting to 780 when box is turned back on

New Poster

I bought a Vizio 4K last November and then upgraded to X1. I have this issue. I’m going to try switching to 1080p and see if that fixes the problem. If not, I call Comcast and let them switch out my hdmi cable. I’ll see which box I have too. I know it’s an Arris X1 though
New Poster

Just a thought. Would having a 4K tv influence this issue?
Service Expert

hselburn wrote:
I bought a Vizio 4K last November and then upgraded to X1. I have this issue. I’m going to try switching to 1080p and see if that fixes the problem. If not, I call Comcast and let them switch out my hdmi cable. I’ll see which box I have too. I know it’s an Arris X1 though

hi, I moved your post to its own thread on the X1 area of the forum. Which set top box do you have? do yo uhave the X1 set top box set to go into power save mode? 

the linear channels now are being converted to 720p and the local stations that are rebroadcast are kept in same 720p or 1080i format that they are currently broadcasting (in mpeg2). The non-local HD channels are also being converted to mpeg4 from mpeg2. 

If you set the ouput of your set top box to 720p then your TV can upconvert as needed to its native format with circuits that are probably better in quality than the generic set top box circuitry.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

"If you set the ouput of your set top box to 720p then your TV can upconvert as needed to its native format with circuits that are probably better in quality than the generic set top box circuitry." -- sure but 1080i has to be de-interlaced and downscaled, by the same logic, you'd be hammering anything that isn't 720p.

Having the box set to 1080p makes the most sense for optimal image quality.

Mine is doing the same thing and it's resetting the audio to stereo.  This is a legit issue and should be fixed.

Service Expert

ObiWanSotti wrote:

"If you set the ouput of your set top box to 720p then your TV can upconvert as needed to its native format with circuits that are probably better in quality than the generic set top box circuitry." -- sure but 1080i has to be de-interlaced and downscaled, by the same logic, you'd be hammering anything that isn't 720p.

Having the box set to 1080p makes the most sense for optimal image quality.

Mine is doing the same thing and it's resetting the audio to stereo.  This is a legit issue and should be fixed.

Comcast is in the process of converting cable delivered programming (HD) in 720p60 MPeg 4. The 1080i is only from a local broadcast channel and is in mpeg2. Search google for video: 1080i vs 720p. Comcast doesn't offer a pass through setting.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

Comcast is in the process of converting cable delivered programming (HD) in 720p60 MPeg 4. The 1080i is only from a local broadcast channel and is in mpeg2. Search google for video: 1080i vs 720p. Comcast doesn't offer a pass through setting.

I was just about to submit a thread asking why the latter this isn't an option.  Some TVs, starting with most 1080p models, can handle just about any native channel format.

More critically, it appears some material is recorded in 24 fps and not the typical 30/60 fps.  If Comcast is converting 24 fps material to 30/60 fps, that might explain some of the motion artifact issues I see with a few, specific shows.

One show in syndication, The Big Bang Theory, shows motion artifacts on both our local Fox HD channel and TBS-HD.  No other shows on either of these stations, including commercials and sports programming, shows motion artifacts.  I've wondered about how The Big Bang Theory is being recorded and subsequently converted by Comcast.

Service Expert

MichaelCA wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

I was just about to submit a thread asking why the latter this isn't an option.  Some TVs, starting with most 1080p models, can handle just about any native channel format.

More critically, it appears some material is recorded in 24 fps and not the typical 30/60 fps.  If Comcast is converting 24 fps material to 30/60 fps, that might explain some of the motion artifact issues I see with a few, specific shows.

One show in syndication, The Big Bang Theory, shows motion artifacts on both our local Fox HD channel and TBS-HD.  No other shows on either of these stations, including commercials and sports programming, shows motion artifacts.  I've wondered about how The Big Bang Theory is being recorded and subsequently converted by Comcast.

Have you tried watching those programs with an antenna?  I almost always record BBT, so I don't ever see any artifacts.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

MichaelCA wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Fox shows to be native 720p format so there are no artifacts due to interlacing to remove. If your output is set to 'p' you would only have individual 'pictures' that are then handled by your tv to match its own display panel's native mode. the codec for mpeg4 allows any frame rate. Comcast's 720p60 means the image has smoother motion between frames).  Have you turned off all of your TVs 'motion enhancement' features?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

Have you turned off all of your TVs 'motion enhancement' features?

Yep.  Still doesn't explain why I'm seeing the motion artifacts on a few select shows, including one (The Big Bang Theory) shown on multiple channels.  If I were seeing motion artifacts on most/all material on a channel (shows, commercials, news, sports, talk, etc.), I would buy into the belief there is a signal issue somewhere (external and/or internal).

But this problem seems isolated to just three shows we watch regularly (across four channels), and no channel has more than one show with the problem.  I've seen poor setups with friends and family, and when the problem existed for them, it was widespread across a lot of what they watched.

Sports is notorious for showing artifacts due to a poor signal.  I haven't found one sport program we've watched in quite some time that has anything I would call a motion artifact.  My wife watched a couple of NBA games this past week, and they looked great.  Which makes having a few select programs we watch regularly with motion artifacts very frustrating.

Service Expert

MichaelCA wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Have you turned off all of your TVs 'motion enhancement' features?

Yep.  Still doesn't explain why I'm seeing the motion artifacts on a few select shows, including one (The Big Bang Theory) shown on multiple channels.  If I were seeing motion artifacts on most/all material on a channel (shows, commercials, news, sports, talk, etc.), I would buy into the belief there is a signal issue somewhere (external and/or internal).

But this problem seems isolated to just three shows we watch regularly (across four channels), and no channel has more than one show with the problem.  I've seen poor setups with friends and family, and when the problem existed for them, it was widespread across a lot of what they watched.

Sports is notorious for showing artifacts due to a poor signal.  I haven't found one sport program we've watched in quite some time that has anything I would call a motion artifact.  My wife watched a couple of NBA games this past week, and they looked great.  Which makes having a few select programs we watch regularly with motion artifacts very frustrating.

BBT if watched from an over the air signal may be from an interlaced broadcast. Could you be speaking of bad signal pixelation?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation