Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Question about placement of POE filter for MOCA

New Poster

Question about placement of POE filter for MOCA

I sure hope I can explain this properly to get an answer.  I need to install a MOCA POE filter and I realize the best place would be in the outside cable box where Comcast installed a splitter to run the cable into my house in two locations, one up to my modem and one into the house for the various TVs.  I guess I'm just worried about messing with the outside stuff for some reason, like i'm going to break something or get shocked.  So here is what i'm hoping is okay to do.

As I said, the cable is split in the box and one end goes up the side of my house and through the wall to my modem and that's it.  The other end goes into the house and is split right inside my garage 3 ways and goes off to three different TVs.  My MOCA adapters are only connected to the line that was split into the garage and connected to the TVs.  I was thinking I could just put the POE filter right at the start of that 3-way splitter because the MOCA signal is only running amongst the cable going to the TVs and would be blocked from getting past that point and outside to the cable box entry point, eliminating the need for the POE filter outside.  

The only way I can see this being a problem is if it is possible for MOCA signals to travel through the CAT5e cable that's attached to my modem and the MOCA adapter and then running back through the coax attached to the modem, but I doubt that can happen.   

If this all makes any sense to anyone who might know the answer, i'd appreciate some input.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation