Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Proper X1 Home Design

Frequent Visitor

Proper X1 Home Design

I am wondering if someone can help me with a proper multi box design for our home.  We would like to plan for up to 8 boxes, at least 2 of which would be X1's.  This is in the Northern VA area, Alexandria....I know that there are slight differences in boxes and counts regionally so thought that info may help.  We have heard from technicians that there is a limitation on number of X1 boxes one can have so just wanted to go in with a good plan and being knowledgable before discussing with Comcast.  Appreciate any help.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Proper X1 Home Design

Not sure you provided enough information for us to give you a specific answer.

How many total TV locations? How many of those need access to a DVR for recordings? How many people in the house will be watching simultaneously? How much recording do you plan to do? X1 boxes have very limited recording capacity. If you have numerous people in your house recording things, you will probably need more than DVR (which costs extra).

Maybe you should take a peak at this: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-TV-Box-Comparison-DVR-vs-Non-DVR/td-p/2860183 It might help you come up with more specific questions.

Sschmitt406 wrote:

I am wondering if someone can help me with a proper multi box design for our home.  We would like to plan for up to 8 boxes, at least 2 of which would be X1's.  This is in the Northern VA area, Alexandria....I know that there are slight differences in boxes and counts regionally so thought that info may help.  We have heard from technicians that there is a limitation on number of X1 boxes one can have so just wanted to go in with a good plan and being knowledgable before discussing with Comcast.  Appreciate any help.

Frequent Visitor

So lets go with these numbers:

TV Locations = 8

Ideally all 8 can access DVR recordings

Max 4 simultaneous users

Lets start the capacity conversation at 40 hours per DVR

I guess my first question is, why is there a limit on the number of X1 boxes you can have?  Are the non-DVR boxes able to access DVR's materials/how do they interact with the X1's?  From the link you sent, I would assume the answer to the seocnd question is yes.

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast has never officially said how many total boxes you can have. I have heard both 12 and 16 bounced around.

All X1 DVR's offer roughly 60 hours of HD recording time. You can have up to three DVRs. I think you will need more than one. Keep in mind that multiple X1 DVRs pool their resources. All recordings are visible on all boxes. There are no private recordings with X1.

In order to make an exact recommendation, we would need to know the connection capabilities of all TVs. Assuming they all have HDMI connectivity you could use something like two X1 DVRs, one or two XG2's and the rest could be Xi series boxes.

Please understand there is no one right way to accomplish this. You will encounter different opinions. If it were me, I would use two X1 DVRs and all the rest of the boxes would be XG2s. I do not care for the Xi series boxes.

I have a suggest for you. Stop by a Comcast retail store and have a Comcast employee walk you through X1 and show you the different boxes.

Sschmitt406 wrote:

So lets go with these numbers:

TV Locations = 8

Ideally all 8 can access DVR recordings

Max 4 simultaneous users

Lets start the capacity conversation at 40 hours per DVR

I guess my first question is, why is there a limit on the number of X1 boxes you can have?  Are the non-DVR boxes able to access DVR's materials/how do they interact with the X1's?  From the link you sent, I would assume the answer to the seocnd question is yes.

Service Expert

1.DVR with 6 tuners available for recording

2. XG2 hub (each can support an xi3/xid

3. XG2 hub

4. XiD companion

5. XiD companion

6. XiD companion

7. XiD companion

8. XiD companion

If you go with 2 DVRs delete one of the XiD companion devices.

for the level of MoCA tech max is 16 devices but the 'modem' ir probably reserved for future leaving 15. With advent of mpeg4 conversion and 4K streaming there may be new technical maximum limits that have not been detailed so far.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation