Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Possible fix to video not playing

New Poster

Possible fix to video not playing

I was trying to watch The Walking Dead today on IE9, when the series stopped working for me. I reviewed several of the forum posts to see what others were experiencing, so I knew I wasn't alone. I tried it on Chrome, had the opening ad run, but seeing Adobe Flash Player wanted access to my system, I hit "deny" which immediately killed the video feed (and provided me an Error 900 message).

Since then, I removed and reinstalled Silverlight, with no avail.

But my most recent idea has provided some success. I went into the registry, and deleted as many Silverlight references as I could (which was quite a few before I burned out on that activity). I restarted the system, logged on to xfinity, opened ep 10. With a delay of about 10 seconds the opening ad started, thought greatly pixelated, but the showed started, too. With much happiness.

I moved over to Chrome, tried running the show through that browser. It flashed the choice whether to restart or resume (for only a second) before switching to the error screen. Several times I refreshed and recieved the same result, before the restart/resume stopped appearing at all.

Finally, I moved back to IE9, and restarted the same episode. This time the ad started (with the same delay) but the pixelation on the ad was gone, and the show started. Again, with much happiness.

ComcastJoe has stated that this is likely a Silverlight issue, and he is probably right. But if a nearly ignorant person such as myself could fix this problem, I would think that the tech guys with Comcast could figure this one out, too...

Good luck everyone!

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Possible fix to video not playing

a nearly ignorant person would not even know what a registry was.

Why did you hit deny when chrome wanted to access flash?  you need flash to play the videos.  

you are correct when people start installing and uninstalling silverlight over and over that messes everything up.  What I do is I use ccleaner.   google that and install it, you can run it and it will take care of all those messed up entries in the registry.    Also most people dont restart their computer after doing any of this another big issue.  

Remember the average person has no idea what they are doing, ever hear the one from the tech support guy who said a person called asking about the cup holder on the pc and he was stumped.  Turns out the guy was using the cd rom drawer as a cup holder and did not know what it was.  Thats what its like with most.

New Poster

Re: Possible fix to video not playing

The 'ignorant' reference was simply sarcasm on my part. I am not a professional tech guy, but with a bit of reading, and a little tinkering, I can figure most things out on my own. After watching a 'professional' computer repairman two or three times replacing parts, I knew enough to build my own system.

My issue had nothing to do with multiple installations of silverlight. I had never messed with it until a couple of days ago. But I do know that 'debris', for a lack of a better term, in the registry can affect computer performance.

As for my Chrome issue, that was a trial and error situation. Chalk this one up on the error side. The question popped up, but so did the ad. I prefer not to give every program that asks access to my system. Not all of them need it.

So I lost the video. Not a problem, because most problems can be fixed. Except for maybe flashing the chip with the wrong bios. Did that once. Learned not to do that again.

Nevertheless, as for the issue of videos not playing, I have not gotten around to fixing the Chrome issue. But the IE9 problem is pretty much solved. The Walking Dead episodes I am watching are still running, though the ads delays are annoying (not that the ads aren't annoying, in themselves). This leaves me 1 for 1, for those keeping score.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation