Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Poor customer service -- the nickle and dimer club!

New Poster

Poor customer service -- the nickle and dimer club!

X1 Mini Box issues....  So, after spending hours trying to self-install the mini boxes in my house, I finally called tech support who couldn't resolve the issue over the phone (of course).  It was recommended that I have a service tech. come to the house due to the inability of my main box to communicate with the others.  All of my boxes worked fine until I attempted the switch.  Of course, there is a $60.00 fee.  The rep. said, and I quote, "The technician have to get paid, too."  So, my $3,600+ per year that I pay is not enough to cover service for a device that your company kept prompting me to get with a message popping up in the middle of whatever I may have been watching?  

Poor performance, Comcast.  If anyone has ideas on how I might get my mini boxes to work, I would appreciate it.  Or, maybe it's time to send it all back and switch to Roku.  

Official Employee

Re: Poor customer service -- the nickle and dimer club!

Frustrated1012 wrote:

X1 Mini Box issues....  So, after spending hours trying to self-install the mini boxes in my house, I finally called tech support who couldn't resolve the issue over the phone (of course).  It was recommended that I have a service tech. come to the house due to the inability of my main box to communicate with the others.  All of my boxes worked fine until I attempted the switch.  Of course, there is a $60.00 fee.  The rep. said, and I quote, "The technician have to get paid, too."  So, my $3,600+ per year that I pay is not enough to cover service for a device that your company kept prompting me to get with a message popping up in the middle of whatever I may have been watching?  

Poor performance, Comcast.  If anyone has ideas on how I might get my mini boxes to work, I would appreciate it.  Or, maybe it's time to send it all back and switch to Roku.  

Do you happen to have an amplifier? Per inside wiring, the setup that worked for the old Legacy may not work for the X1 platform

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

The problem is the way your cable wiring is set up in your house is not compatible with X1. All X1 mini boxes have to "see" the DVR across the wiring in your house and yours can't.

If your house has an amp or signal booster that could easily be the problem. X1 service requires a very specific type of amp and more importantly all X1 boxes must be connected after the amp (downstream). You cannot have some boxes connected before the amp (upstream) and some boxes after. The amp will block the communication between the boxes.

If you don't understand this then you probably will need a tech visit to sort it out.
Gold Problem Solver

It should noted here that Comcast charges for situations like this just like all other similar companies. If the problem is in lines leading up to the house or Comcast supplied hardware, you won't be charged. If the problem is wiring or connections within the house you might be charged.

All of us own the wiring within our homes and we are responsible for it (unless you pay extra for Comcast's monthly service plan).
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation