Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Please upgrade your Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video.

New Poster

Please upgrade your Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video.

I get this message when trying to watch Xfinity content on my Macs using OS Lion:

"Please upgrade your Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video."

I found the below in the forum, but the links don't seem to work in getting a 5.1.50516 vs.  Keep getting the 5.1.10411.0 version.

Yes, I've done the uninstalling and restarting after installing.

Can you please post a working link to get the patched version?

In order to address a video streaming bug in the Silverlight plug-in, Microsoft provide us with a special updated version: 5.1.10516.0.  As of the May 31st release, we require our new users and users with existing Silverlight 5 versions to install this version. 

Here are a few points to consider as well.

5.1.10516.0 is special to Xfinity

The 5.1.10516.0 version is NOT available on Microsoft's official GetSilverlight site, http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx .  If users go to the Microsoft to install they will still be asked to upgrade on our site. They must use the 5.1.10516 version we provide not the latest version on the official Microsoft site.

Must restart browser

For any Silverlight upgrade, users MUST RESTART THEIR BROWSERS! The install screen that appears after the users click "Upgrade" instructs the users to do so.  Some users may not be seeing this.

Officially unsupported OS/browsers

For certain OS/browsers that are not officially supported by Silverlight, the install link that Microsoft provided does not function properly.  It redirects to the GetSilverlight site which will not provide them with the 5.1.10516 version required.  The Mac/Chrome direct link and MS catch-all link is provided below.

For Mac 10.5.7+ / Chrome:

http://silverlight.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/5/F/4/5F4E029C-77F5-4EC7-B084-E7B180483AFF/10516...

For nearly all other cases:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=149156&v=5.1.10516.0

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Please upgrade your Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video.

dancy2732 wrote:

I get this message when trying to watch Xfinity content on my Macs using OS Lion:

"Please upgrade your Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video."

I found the below in the forum, but the links don't seem to work in getting a 5.1.50516 vs.  Keep getting the 5.1.10411.0 version.

Yes, I've done the uninstalling and restarting after installing.

Can you please post a working link to get the patched version?

In order to address a video streaming bug in the Silverlight plug-in, Microsoft provide us with a special updated version: 5.1.10516.0.  As of the May 31st release, we require our new users and users with existing Silverlight 5 versions to install this version. 

Here are a few points to consider as well.

5.1.10516.0 is special to Xfinity

The 5.1.10516.0 version is NOT available on Microsoft's official GetSilverlight site, http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx .  If users go to the Microsoft to install they will still be asked to upgrade on our site. They must use the 5.1.10516 version we provide not the latest version on the official Microsoft site.

Must restart browser

For any Silverlight upgrade, users MUST RESTART THEIR BROWSERS! The install screen that appears after the users click "Upgrade" instructs the users to do so.  Some users may not be seeing this.

Officially unsupported OS/browsers

For certain OS/browsers that are not officially supported by Silverlight, the install link that Microsoft provided does not function properly.  It redirects to the GetSilverlight site which will not provide them with the 5.1.10516 version required.  The Mac/Chrome direct link and MS catch-all link is provided below.

For Mac 10.5.7+ / Chrome:

http://silverlight.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/5/F/4/5F4E029C-77F5-4EC7-B084-E7B180483AFF/10516...

For nearly all other cases:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=149156&v=5.1.10516.0

Completely uninstall Silverlight from your computer. Then download and install Silverlight from the appropriate link below:

Mac users 

This is a patched version that fixes most video playback issues and gets you out of the "Please install/upgrade Silverlight" loop.

Follow all the on-screen instructions and then try playing videos again. Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation