Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Parts of HD Shows/Entire Scenes are cut on Demand and not Broadcasted in 5.1 Surround!

Frequent Visitor

Parts of HD Shows/Entire Scenes are cut on Demand and not Broadcasted in 5.1 Surround!

I had never had this problem until two weeks ago.  I was trying to watch Episode 3-4 of Blindspot in HD (NBC).  There were two versions of the show in HD, 59 minutes and 43 minutes. I chose the 59 minute version as it was in 5.1 Surround, for some reason the older shows are only broadcast in Stereo which is something new as well.  After a commercial break, the show stopped making sense and it was obvious scenes were missing so I tried the 43 minute version and all the scenes were intact but no surround sound. 

Then, last night, I am trying to catch up with DC's Legends of Tomorrow (Episode 2-4, CW) and an entire 10 minutes between commercial breaks was GONE!  I had to see the missing scene on the standard definition version. 

Arrow espisode 6-7 is still not posted. Other shows are in their wrong season, 5.1 is only working on newest shows, etc. On Demand is a Mess!

I Pay a lot for On Demand. What is the problem here and when will it be fixed?  This is unacceptable.  Comcast, you listeneing?

Official Employee

Re: On Demand Is Cutting Off Parts of HD Shows/Entire Scenes and not Brodcasting in 5.1 Surround!

Hi Vicious-Poodle, do you have this issue while watch on demand content only or does it happen while watching live TV as well? Do you have this issue on all of your equipment? Have you tried rebooting the cable box? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: On Demand Is Cutting Off Parts of HD Shows/Entire Scenes and not Brodcasting in 5.1 Surround!

Thank you for your quick reply!  This only happens when watching on Demand and within the last month  Overnight, the cable box is turned off along with all my aduio/video equipment so it reboots daily.  I did do the refresh signal as well and it didn't help.  Last night I did watch another episode of DC Legends, Episode 3-5, and it played fine, nothing cut and full 5.1 sound.   No issue with live TV so far.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Parts of HD Shows/Entire Scenes are cut on Demand and not Broadcasted in 5.1 Surround!

Comcast inserts commercials with many OnDemand shows. There is some metadata that lets it know where the breaks are, and if it doesn't match the actual video, all sorts of issues can happen. If you see an hour-long show that is only 42 minutes or similar OnDemand, then that is a 'raw' video where all the commericals are inserted. Even at 59 minutes, there may be inserts, or issues where FF is enabled for the show, but disabled for commercials (I get a brief audio mute whenever that switches.)

New Poster

This issue is getting ridiculous.  i have had it for months.  On Demand doesn't play a complete show EVER.  For specifics, try watching anything on demand on NBC or TLC....it's a joke.  But if I watch it from the provider's direct apps on my ipad I can see the whole episode.  So this is DEFINITELY a comcast issue.   If you restart the episode and are lucky enough to be able to fast forward to where it cut out, the fast forward stalls and eventually craps out. 

We pay WAY too much for this service for this poor performance.  This is on the X1 platform, on the main box or the slaves.  So frustrating. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Parts of HD Shows/Entire Scenes are cut on Demand and not Broadcasted in 5.1 Surround!

Andy,

I appreciate the response and your comment; however, that makes no sense because why would the standard definition of the show which would have the same meta data for commercial breaks, be OK but the HD version be totally messed up?  Someone is doing something wrong.  And also, why the issue of some shows losing their 5.1 surround sound.

On Demand is nothing more than a glorified version of YouTube.  It should work!

Thanks!

Problem Solver

Actually; Andy's reply is correct.

When you add in that Comcast's software used in their computer system needs updating by qualified programmers, and the same for qualified people doing the entries it is easy to see how things can get this fowled up.

It seems that many of the older experienced programmers, technicians, and people who handled these duties, have either retired, quit, or been forced out. They have been replaced by younger less experience people with little training on the equipment.

I happen to get about 50 channels over the air with my antenna. The same problems can be seen in programs there. Programs modified to fit time periods and different commercials added. Of course there is no ON DEMAND programing except on cable which creates more chances for thing to go wrong..

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation