Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Parental settings for adult movies not working

ANSWERED
Contributor

Parental settings for adult movies not working

I've had the parental settings for adult movies set for a few months and it worked OK except for requiring the unlock code for a couple of unrated TV shows. But now it seems to have stopped working altogether. I have turned to the premium channels where thera re clearly adult movies and it didn't ask me for the unlock code. Yet when I went into parental control settings it did ask for the unlock pin number and the Movie lock for adult movies was clearly marked on.

Further I manually locked two movies and the lock took. So obviously the parental lock system works when manually locked but the whole idea of the parental system is to lock movies rated adult and not just those I manually lock.

Accepted Solution

Re: Parental settings for adult movies not working

If anyone is having a similar problem with the parental controls not working you must set up a purchase pin (listed in the settings) first then your parental control pin will work properly. Don't be concerned by the name.  The purchase pin just locks out people from buying movies or TV shows (not necessary adult rated) so that someone can't spend money on your account without your knowledge. You can use a different pin number for the purchase pin and the parental control pin.

View answer in context
Official Employee

Windsurf, you can set up parental locks on movies based on their ratings. Try it out! Here's how: https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-parental-controls-movie-locks/

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Ken I had that all set before and it worked for a couple of months, then the other night while channel surfing I went to HBO or Showtime channels and clicked on an adult movie that was being broadcast and it allowed me to see the movie without asking me for the code. Then it allowed me to record the movies without asking me for the code.  I have since done a hard reboot but have not tested to see if this fixed the problem.

Official Employee

OK. Well let me know if it fixes the problem. There are a few things we can try on my end. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

I wanted to let you know that the parental controls aren't working on my TV for movies called adult still after the hard reboot. But to tell you the truth I don't want to deal with it now. I want to stay focused on the other issues we are working on.  I tried to go into an adult movie on Cinemax last night and it didn't ask me for the code. But  I manually put a lock on the movie and the lock took OK but I had to manually do it for it to work.

Official Employee

OK. Well let me know when you're ready to look into this.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

Hello Ken. OK it's time to look into this. I tried it again last night. marked an adult movie to record to DVR and it didn't ask me for the parental lock code.  Recorded the movie then selected it from the recordings and clicked watch and it didn't ask me for the code. If I manually lock it it will ask for the code but it used to ask for the code when ever I wanted to watch or record an adult movie. How do I fix this?

I have only adult movies set for parental controls.

Official Employee

WindsurfMaui, I do not see a Locks registered with your DVR marked "living room". Is this the box we are discussing? Can you try reapplying the parental control rules? 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

Hello Ken. I just went to the DVR and added the parental lock on "Adult" movies. Previously I had set it on the bedroom XiD box and it worked fine. Then it stopped working which is why I started this thread. I had assumed that a parental lock set on one box would be universal for all boxes. I hadn't realized that it had to be added to the DVR box as well. 

So I then went into the TV guide and found two Adult movies and set them to record and the system OK'd the recording option without asking me for the lock code. It used to ask me for the lock code when I wanted to tape an adult movie.

After the movie is taped I will try to view it and see if it then asks me for the lock code.

Official Employee

WindsurfMaui, sounds good. The X1 DVR will record a program regardless of Parental Control settings. The DVR and any Non-DVR TV Boxes will also list that program in the Recordings menu. However, you will not be able to see or hear a locked program without first entering the Locks PIN. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

No doesn't work. I was able to turn to the adult movie on a premium channel (Showtime) and was not asked for the lock code, plus I could watched the recorded version and again not asked for the locked code. This happened on both the TV hooked up to the DVR and the TV hooked up to the XiD box.

Official Employee

I see. Well, I can refresh your boxes on my end to see if there might be an error causing this. If that doesn't work, we can try resetting the lock pin by disabling all together, and then reapplying it. Let me know when I can send those signals. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

Hello Ken. Let's wait to try these options on the parental controls. I am not getting  notices of posts to the community forum forwarded to my regular email account. And I was unable to open emails in the Comcast.net email address. Kept getting error messages. So let's wait until that gets fixed and then once I am getting emails on a timely basis we can try working on this. I will contact you once the emails start to arrive in my inbox.

Official Employee

OK keep me posted. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

Got that one. I'll try and contact you later in the day to run those tests.

Official Employee

Shall we run tests, WindsurfMaui?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

OK

Official Employee

WindsurfMaui, I'm going to refresh the entitlements to your boxes. This basically removes all the saved settings on your boxes and then reapplies them (among a few other small things). This will also cause your cable boxes to reboot. Are you watching TV now? Can I do this now? 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

yes go ahead

Official Employee

OK just sent it. Let's give it a couple minutes. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

I have the TV in bedroom on so I should see it freeze or go blank when refresh hits?

Official Employee

That is the only one I had a problem with restarting. Can you restart the box manually for me please by powering it down and then, after a few minutes, back up again? Once you're back on, try to test the parental blocker again. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

OK unpluging the bedroom box now

Most Valued Poster

Powered up bedroom box now. I will see if parental settings are still have lock for adult movies and then will try to view via on demand.

Official Employee

Cool. Keep me posted. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

Nope didn't work. I can go to on demand to showtime and get to adult movies and not be asked for lock code. That is on both living room (DVR) and bedroom XiD tv's. Yet if I try to go into settings>parental controls it does ask me for lock code!!  :>) Maybe it will take a while to kick in?

As I said before it used to work fine before the latest updates. The only problem I had was sometimes I would turn on a new TV program that wasn't rated and it would ask me for the lock code even though I don't have the TV parental controls on. But I didn't want to complain about that as long as the adult movie part worked.

Most Valued Poster

Noticed while scrolling through channels that I have channel 366 marked as a favorite yet it isn't appearing in my favorites list. Only shows as marked as a favorite when I go to all channels. I thought we had this problem a couple of months ago then it was fixed. I wonder if the problem is not my boxes but the latest update that reversed a prior fix and may have messed up parental controls. Can you get someone else to try and put on parental controls then view an adult movie and see if they are having the same problem?

Most Valued Poster

Well still able to get into adult movies without being asked for lock code. Do you have any other tests to run? things to try?

Most Valued Poster

Disabled parental controls and then set them up again. Tried to watch an episode of face the nation (Sunday morning news show that carries a not rated rating (NR) and had to put in the parental control lock code even though it wasn't rated adult and it wasn't a movie. Put in lock code watched a few seconds of the show dumped out of it and then tried to resume watching it and when I went back to the show was not asked for the lock code. So I guess that is good news the X1 platform learned it wasn't an adult movie. Very strange system. The only time the parental controls works properly is when I manually lock a title.

Official Employee

WindsurfMaui, Apologies for the delay. I can try to remove all the parental controls from every box and then have you re-add them to each box, manually. Let me know if you're interested. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

I have only 1 parental control adult movies. So if you want to delete it OK. I have tried that here and it didn't have an effect but go ahead it isn't hard to reinstall it.

Official Employee

WindsurfMaui, I've cleared the parental controls and rebooted your boxes. Please apply the locks again and retest. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

Hello Ken. I looked in both boxes and the parental controls didn't say off but still had the adult movie setting still on. Should I test it or did it not take and do you want to try it again?

Official Employee

Let me try disabling another way. Give me a few moments, please. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

OK you can try adding the pins now. While disabling manually, I did notice you don't have any TV Locks, channel locks or title locks on your boxes. The only one I see are Movie locks marked as Adult content. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

If anyone is having a similar problem with the parental controls not working you must set up a purchase pin (listed in the settings) first then your parental control pin will work properly. Don't be concerned by the name.  The purchase pin just locks out people from buying movies or TV shows (not necessary adult rated) so that someone can't spend money on your account without your knowledge. You can use a different pin number for the purchase pin and the parental control pin.

Most Valued Poster

Parental Controls don't work if TV guide is inacurate

So I spent a couple of months  working with Community members and ComcastKenF trying to figure out why the Parental controls for adult movies were no longer working. We solved the problem (you have to set up a Purchase Pin as well as a Parental Pin).

So it is Friday October 13th at 11:49PM. I am turned to HBO channel 775. The movie on the TV guide is Illicit Desires an adult rated movie. However, if you hit the info button on the remote control the title it shows is the earlier movie Harold and Kumar that ended at 11:45PM. So because the title is for an non adult movie , even though the adult movie started 4 minutes ago the system isn't asking for the parental pin code. Can I say to Xfinity the parental controls are only as good as the TV guide. When that messes up, the system doesn't work  It is 11:56PM  and the adult movie is still  showing without asking for the parental pin code.

Official Employee

Re: Parental Controls don't work if TV guide is inacurate

WindsurfMaui, sorry that I'm just coming to this. If this happens again, try rebooting your cable box to refresh the guide. If that doesn't work, we'll need to reach out to the network. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

Do I refresh my Bedroom box or the DVR? Which controls? I did do a sync to DVR but that didn't do anything. I didn't think to hard boot the box.

Service Expert

Reboot both of them

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

WindsurfMaui, did that fix your guide issue?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

I'm keeping an eye on it to see if it happens again and I will reboot the boxes to see if that corrects it. When I posted the last time the problem was over.

Official Employee

OK sounds good. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 4 in conversation