Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

PIggy-backing my Cable signal

New Poster

PIggy-backing my Cable signal

I have the X1 system here in the Tacoma, Washington area. I have my X1 system routed through my home stereo system for better sound quality than what my tv can produce. In the OLD days (80's) we could use a splitter and use the coax itself to "boost" our FM signal on our stereo, using the coax as an antenna. Is this still possible to pull in weaker FM signals and boost strong ones?

Service Expert

Re: PIggy-backing my Cable signal

Bimmerknut wrote:

I have the X1 system here in the Tacoma, Washington area. I have my X1 system routed through my home stereo system for better sound quality than what my tv can produce. In the OLD days (80's) we could use a splitter and use the coax itself to "boost" our FM signal on our stereo, using the coax as an antenna. Is this still possible to pull in weaker FM signals and boost strong ones?

cable is now digital and analog (FM) is not included. many/most radio channels have an internet feed that you can feed to your stereo via a PC etc.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

There are certainly amplified FM antennas out there but all decent receivers should be able to pull in FM stations with a dipole "T" antenna or just a simple wire that is longer than 31 inches.

If you are trying to pull in distant stations a rooftop VHF/UHF/FM antenna would be the best.

Rusty brings up a good point. Almost every radio station in world streams their signal on the internet. There are plenty of devices that you can add to your sound system to accomplish this. Sonos is the first one that comes to mind but there are many other options.
New Poster

Thanks Rick and Rusty. I'm obviously not familiar with any of those type devices. Do they use WIFI then, as I do have WIFI in my home. I'm wanting to pull stations in and get rid of the static. I have a powerful Pioneer receiver from the 70's, the SX-1010 that still performs beautifully. I know that there are a lot of channels that it's not pulling in right now. I am looking also into getting a used rooftop antenna from someone for free. I don't think it's the rotary type but we'll see. But if there's a better option that doesn't involve running flat-wire then I'm interested in hearing more. Thanks!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation