Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Online TV buffering... when is this going to be addressed???

Frequent Visitor

Online TV buffering... when is this going to be addressed???

I, and obviously many others, are having issues watching online content from Xfinity unless it is Hulu content.  There are numerous posts in this forum relating to this issue of not being able to access a service that is being paid for.  Here is just another example (link provided) of content that wil not play BUT IS BEING PAID FOR by me and other consumers:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/The-White-Queen/8473820551394855112/63789123546/Ep-105---War-At-F...

What I want to know... is this issue being addressed, or merely ignored.  In which case I believe Comast is in breach of their sevice contract with me and owes me a refund of fees paid..

Official Employee

Re: Online TV buffering... when is this going to be addressed???

Hi, can you post a screen shot of the issue your seeing? I've been able to successfully watch the first 15min of the asset you posted.

Thanks,
Tony

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Re: Endless Buffering

airshep wrote:

Currently, I am unable to watch any of the online TV content that is not HULU content.  Whenever I try to watch a TV episode (again, other than HULU content) the initial commercial plays, but when the episode is supposed to begin the video goes into an endless buffering mode.  I have tried waiting it out (as long as 15 minutes), Flash content plays fine on every other site I have tried, and the TV episodes that are HULU content (ie. Arrested Development, Back in the Game, etc) work fine.

Here are just a couple of the many examples of online content that are not working:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/The-Blacklist/4662228359520353112/78760515540/Anslo-Garrick%2C-Part-2/videos

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/South-Park/9125054853592448112/93205059745/The-Hobbit/videos

I cannot seem to reproduce the issue with the two links provided. Let me know if they are happening within a specific ad break or not.

Thanks,
Tony

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

Re: Endless Buffering

I have tried the two links you provided, (Blacklist, etc.) and I still get the same buffering screen.  But first I get commercials on each episode and the before the actual show starts I get the buffering screen.  I have tried other shows and movies and the same thing happens.

New Poster

Is Comcast going to address this issue?  I called 5 days ago and reported this problem and still unable to watch movies.  Here is example

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/The-Hobbit%3A-An-Unexpected-Journey/5986754882221025112/474829478...

New Poster

New Poster

New Poster

Try to insert a screen print and I don't think it worked. I followed instructions above, "if you would like to paste text from Microsoft Word or other text editors, please use the "Paste from Word" button in the editor" but is doesn't look like it worked

Problem Solver

ber1955 wrote:

Try to insert a screen print and I don't think it worked. I followed instructions above, "if you would like to paste text from Microsoft Word or other text editors, please use the "Paste from Word" button in the editor" but is doesn't look like it worked

To insert a screen-shot, you must first create an image file and save it somewhen on you computer.  Then, you click the "insert/edit image" icon on the tool bar of the :Reply to Message" window. The icon looks like a little green monitor.  That open another little window where you can locate that file and upload it to this forum by clicking the "insert" button.

For example, here is a screen shot of the edit bar (the insert icon circled in red):

edit_bar.png

Frequent Visitor

XFINITY TV.jpg

Frequent Visitor

XFINITY TV2.jpg

Regular Contributor

It's no use. Even if it eventually plays, video is so choppy and stuttery that it's almost unwatchable.

Official Employee

ber1955 wrote:

And other one...http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/Identity-Thief/5756796705754916112/57043523574/Identity-Thief/vid...

I'm not seeing anything unusual in the logs, I see you had one playback error, again according to the logs on the 22nd around 11pm EST while attempting to play a CBS episode of Mike-And-Molly....

Continuing to look further...

Thanks,
Tony

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

New Poster

I am getting the same thing and have spent hours on the phone with Comcast, have repeated broken promises that I would get a call within an hour from a tech who knw how to fix this, and so on and so on...  It's been 10 days and still no fix or follow up.  Last tech, in the US, was rude and said it is my problem and I should call HP to get them to restore factory settings since this new laptop played the video before.  I assured the tech the issue is not with HP as I have no problem playing video from Netflix and Amazon Prime.  He said then maybe I should just watch video from those companies instead.  Stellar customer support.  LOL

Regular Contributor

Just chiming in , this looks like not an isolated problem , everywhere I see messages about problems with online/live streaming tv , this is mine since 12/24/2013  :

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/LIVE-STREAM-XFINITY-NOT-WORKING/td-p/1967439

I do like the speed with Comcast and I sure will stay with them , but let's not forget we all pay for a service and it's not cheap, I know that this is not abrowser or configuration setting problem , it looks more like an upgrade of the network which did not suceed yet..

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Happy new year 2014

New Poster

BUFFERING

TRY TO WATCH SHOWS IT PLAYS COMMERCIALS THEN GOES INTO ENDLESS BUFFERING, I WAS ABLE TO WATCH THESE BEFORE I HAD TO RECENTLY REINSTALL WINDOWS ON MY LAPTOP

New Poster

Re: BUFFERING

I finally got the buffering to stop by installing Google Chrome and using that as my browser.  No help from Comcast at all!!  Thanks to my neighbor who suggested I try Chrome.

Regular Visitor

I get the endless buffering screen with Google Chrome.

Regular Contributor

Definitely a browser configuration settings problem, as a matter of fact if you downloaded the latest IE 11 you sure will have problems , so rather stay with the old browser if you use IE (9 and 10 works fine)..

Just amazing knowing that MS would say that IE11 is more stable which is absolutely not true ..probably within one week there will be update/patch day soon ...

So here is Comcast not to blame !!

Regular Visitor

I have IE 10 and am getting the same issues with the endless buffering. I see comcast is being of no help. I agree with one of the contributors who cited an upgrade that did not work because around Christmas the screen look changed and since then unless it is CBS I cannot watch it. However all other video players work- Netflix, Hulu and Youtube embedded clips. This is something they have created and I have spent hours on chats and phone trying to resolve this with having phone calls and chats ended with no resolution. Its time comcast was split like MA Bell they have a strangle hold on cable.

New Poster

ComcastTony, I was trying to figure out how to best present the problem I (and apparently many others) are having while trying to watch on-line Live TV through the Xfinity.com website when I came across this thread... It appear similiar so let me describe it and my system to see if there is something that has been done through Comcast, or a change required within our system settings to allow satisfying viewing.

First the description:  When selecting one of the "always on" networks in the "Watch Live TV Online" area of the xfinity.comcast.net web site, if properly logged on the system will start what appears to be a video download.  If there is a directed commercial it will load and play smoothly.  (I am assuming it is a downloaded video file.)  Then, usually, there will be a buffering symbol appearing in the center of the screen.  The streaming live TV then begins to play.  After about 10 seconds the video and audio will stop for about three to five seconds then restart ommitting whatever has been "playing" since the picture and sound "froze".  The TV show wil play for about ten seconds then stop for three to five seconds, etc. for as long as the "live TV" is selected.  (For most of us, this is characteristic of "re-buffering" that we have seen on Netflix before Xfinity put in the latest speed improvements.)  In addition, contrary to the clear picture we grew used to in the fall, for the past several weeks the picture appears fuzzy and is often distorted...

Now a description of my computer system:  I am running Windows7 (64 bit) on an i7 Intel proccessor (3.5 Gbit) run motherboard with 16 Gbit DDR3 memory.  The video graphics driver is an Intel GR4000 driving a digital Samsung SB3200 display.  The browser is Internet Explorer 10.0.12 (since I was having real compatibility problems when I tried updating to IE11).  I have updated Java to Java 7 update 51 and Adobe FlashPlayer to 12.0.0.38.  My system has a Windows Experience Index of 6.6 driven by the limitation of 3D graphics.  All other areas are 7.7 or above.

I just ran the Comcast speed test and have verified an average download speed of 36.9 Mb/s and upload speed of .984 Mb/s... so that doesn't appear to be the problem.

I have reset Windows IE following every recommendation I have found in this and other forums to attempt to mitigate the problems being experienced.  Only other area to answer for you is that I (and I am sure most of the others on this forum) am running Norton Security Suite provided by Comcast.  (I do not have Constant Guard installed since it caused unanticipated problems with some of the sites I routinely use and was advised to "just remove it".)

I also agree with other posters that something changed just prior to the holiday season.  I used to use this system watching online TV very satisfactorily prior to mid-November.

Any ideas on any settings we could change on our systems or within our control in our modems that would resolve this most frustrating problem? 

Thanks in advance

OBTW I did review the debugging on the video screen and am not using but a fraction (if any) of the available buffer.

New Poster

I also can view commercials on demand, but not the actual content. For me it only happened after my Windows updated to 8.1. I actually fixed it briefly by uninstalling silverlight and reinstalling, but it stopped again. It's obviously some compatibility issue, so perhaps the comcast employee who responded is not having the issue. There is probably a simple solution- any ideas from Comast?

Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problem. Initially, playback worked on IE in windows 8, and ran smoothly. This suddenly stopped functioning and I got the endless buffering after the commercial loaded. The only answers that I have gotten from comcast are "call microsoft" or "load another browser" I can get it to run in chrome, but it is so slow and choppy that it is useless. All I want is someone from comcast to address the issue with IE in windows 8. What is the problem? How do you fix it?

New Poster

Comcast Tony,  Here is additional information....

I have just returned from a vacation to California and Hawaii.  The television playback through the Xfinity portal worked completely... no buffering, no interrupts, clear picture and sound.  Using the same computer I returned to New Hampshire and am experiencing the same problems discussed throughout this thread... continuous buffering of live TV, grainy low definition picture and sound.  I appears to be something locally and not in the Xfinity portall itself.  Hope this helps in your ability to help those of us who would like to stay with Comcast, but are really getting tired of the non-response to a well defined and continuing problem.   Thanks.

New Poster

Comcast Tony... I posted this earlier but think you might not see it as a response to a previous post of my own.

Comcast Tony,  Here is additional information....

I have just returned from a vacation to California and Hawaii.  The television playback through the Xfinity portal worked completely... no buffering, no interrupts, clear picture and sound.  Using the same computer I returned to New Hampshire and am experiencing the same problems discussed throughout this thread... continuous buffering of live TV, grainy low definition picture and sound.  I appears to be something locally and not in the Xfinity portall itself.  Hope this helps in your ability to help those of us who would like to stay with Comcast, but are really getting tired of the non-response to a well defined and continuing problem.   Thanks.

New Poster

I was using TV oin demand from the website fine until yesterday (5/19/14) when I started getting the same endless buffer everyone is talking about.  I made no configuration changes to my laptop and have the same problem with Firefox, IE, and Chrome.  What gives?

New Poster

Also, it does the same no matter what program I attempt to watch....

Frequent Visitor

Bobs.pngChicago-pd.pngRealTime.png

Having the same issue. I wait and nothing plays, only the initial ad(s). There are some videos that play while others don't. I hope there will be a solution for this soon.

Also, I'm only using my laptop. I'm not sure why the server thinks I'm surfing using multiple devices. 

devices.png

My Device Information

My Zip Code:UnknownMy Cable Provider:UnknownUse Dac:TrueMy Conroller ID:32My Map ID:7My Persona ID:5827My myDVR Manager Status:Not InstalledMy Set Top Box Names:Not InstalledMy Watchlist setup:FalseFacebook Watchlist Syncing:FalseFacebook Connect:FalseMy public IP address:50.143.18.7My operating system:Linux - UndefinedMy web browser:Chrome 34 - Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux I686) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1847.132 Safari/537.36My system typeesktop Computer Or Other DeviceMy Silverlight version:UnknownMy Flash version:13.0.0Javascript:Enabled Cookies:Enabled (1857 Bytes).
Time Information

My Clock Time:Wed May 21 2014 03:57:55 GMT-0400 (EDT)Server Clock Time:Wed May 21 2014 03:57:55 GMT-0400 (EDT)
My Account Information

In Home Authenticated:FalsePrimary Account:TrueProvider Codes:S, Gt, Du, Cy, Iv, Fk, Ep, Eq, Hc, Hk, Dm, Hr, Dd, Hb, Eu, Ey, Ee, Fm, U, Gz, Fc, Eh, Bt, Ca, Gi, Ja, Bw, Jg, Gf, Bu, By, Em, Bs, At, Bl, Ix, Gd, Fo, Bp, Gr, Iy, K, Dg, J, Dt, Bn, Ha, Bi, Bj, Ig, Ce, It, Ez, Dx, Gk, Fh, Ef, Ck, Fd, Do, Fy, Ec, Is, Au, Ew, B, Go, Dj, De, Ei, H, Fa, Ci, A, Fx, Gq, Jf, Cw, Ge, Ea, Cb, E, Eb, Bz, Jj, Co, Ir, Gh, Jc, Dp, Ho, Gg, Gl, Dh, F, M, En, Gp, Fi, Cd, Cf, Fb, Ar, Cg, Hm, Df, Cu, Ek, Cz, Ia, C, Br, Fe, N, Ex, Ga, Fw, Fz, Bx, Bb, Bc, Fn, Ff, Jm, Dv, Fs, Ct, Cs, Et, Cv, Gv, Fr, Db, Dr, Bm, Jb, Gm, Bk, Er, Fv, Dy, Bo, Dn, I, Ft, Il, Bq, G, Jk, Aw, Je, Dc, Jl, Da, Im, Iz, Fq, Fl, Gs, Bv, El, Di, Fu, Cx, Dq, Fg, Fp, Hl, Ds, Eo, Gx, D, Ej, Y, Es, Gj, Ev, Gc, Fj, Cn, Ch, Gb, Eg, Cc, JiInternet Subscriber:TrueCable TV Subscriber:TrueVoice Subscriber:True

Frequent Visitor

I should also mention that in the last png I uploaded showing me having multiple devices, I was not buffering the videos simultaneously either. I opened all the url's in new tabs one by one and exited in the same manner when I was done.

Regular Contributor

Many people have reported this issue which was something I never had but on Monday I had problems watching Sundays episodes of Game of Thrones (on Xfinity and HBO Go) and Bones. I managed to fix this problem (in my case at least), I had been using what I believed was the latest version of the Flash player 13.0.0.206 which was released 04/28/14 but I discovered that a newer version was released on 05/13/14 version 13.0.0.214. After installing the new version and restarting FireFox both Bones and Game of Thrones now appear to work.

So I suggest that anyone having the issue with videos not starting after the introductory commercial update if they haven't already and try again.

If you are a FireFox user there are two extensions that may help pinpoint where the video is getting stuck "Status-4-Evar" which puts the staus bar back that was removed in FireFox 4 and "Live HTTP headers", in my case it seemed than when the video was buffering the status appeared to be "Waiting for analytics.xcal.tv/player"

- Norm

Frequent Visitor

I understand keeping up to date with the latest flash but I think the real question is, how exactly does xfinity incorporate providing content to it's customers? What exactly are the requirements? Take for example with Flash:

adobe.png

As you can see, depending on your Operating system and Browser version, updating flash may not necessarily give you the latest version. So for someone running Solaris/11.2.202, will they by default be restricted from viewing videos even though they have the most recent version of Flash available for them?

Another question would be, hypothetically if someone did have the most recent version of Flash and is using a supported browser like Chrome.. What exactly are the requirements xfinity needs to know about it's configuration to say it will work for sure? In other words, what are the browser dependencies? Third party cookies? Java? Plugins? Protocol Handlers? Location sharing? etc.

Is this problem network specific ex. NBC or HBO wanting to gather marketing statistics from users making dependencies like tracking location or needing 3rd party cookies enabled and other things from the user thus, if they have them disabled the content will not stream?

I would like a list from comcast with exactly what dependencies it expects other than saying "latest version of chrome and flash". If they are aware of anything else, I think it's fair to clue us in unless there's something they're hiding?

Regular Contributor

Hi Aminerge:

My feelings are that while keeping up to date is important, an update like this should not break the streaming system. (I'd really like to hear from more people to see if this update fixed their problem or not) The release of such a minor update x.x.x.206 to x.x.x.214 should not have such a major impact and I think that the back end should support at least a few previous versions of the front end without serious problems.

Also I really think asking Comcast to support streaming on Solaris is just asking too much, I mean how many residential Xfinity users are there that have a Solaris machine as their primary computer? If is was OS X then that would be a serious issue but Solaris?

When you say "I would like a list from comcast with exactly what dependencies it expects other than saying "latest version of chrome and flash". If they are aware of anything else, I think it's fair to clue us in unless there's something they're hiding?" I don't know if anyone but the backend engineers would have that information and they probably don't see it as being useful enough for the average customer to make it worth posting or maybe they wanted to post something like that but some genius george management person but the kibosh that idea with some logic like "Our customers don't need to know that information".

- Norm

Frequent Visitor

Has ComcastTony found anything in the logs?

For those of you experiencing problems have you already reviewed pages like these:

I did some tweaking in Flash settings manager, resetting the licenses and others tweaks to no avail.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager08.html

Lastly, I have to admit I have done some tweaks to chrome. I do this for all chrome based browsers like dragon and chromium. 

chrome://settings/  <---unchecked web prediction/predict net actions, content settings most are disabled, background processes when chrome is closed disabled

chrome://plugins  <--- disabled pdf viewer, widevine decrypt module, remote dsktop, geckomplayer, native client, and windows media player (basically everything except flash).

chrome://flags <---Mostly everything here (26 items) are disabled/Prohibited

So you might notice I'm a 'little' bit of a minimalist. Keep in mind I've used this configuration for well over a year now and have never experienced problems surfing or viewing flash content at all. I'm going to restore chrome (and flash) to it's factory defaults and let you know if I'm still able to duplicate.

Let me also mention another concern of mines after reviewing the TV Listings page. My location is currently set to "DAC: 21_5" I have no clue what it means but I believe that's the code for the basic and premium channels I'm paying so I didn't want to alter that even though I could. Under that code I seem to have all the channels I'm paying for but some of the networks in the list don't play. Could this (the code) be a problem? 

New Poster

I am not sure if this will work for you guys but I was having the same issue with USA trying to watch WWE raw. After trying several things I decided to disable my symantec endprotection which also has the firewall. As soon as i disabled it everything started streaming fine. I am sure for me it was the firewall. Hope it works for you guys as well.

New Poster

Try watching the whole hour of the show before you comment that it works

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats