Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

No HDMI signal on my SA Explorer 8300HD

Contributor

No HDMI signal on my SA Explorer 8300HD

I'm in Houston. I've got an SA 8300HD DVR that Comast issued me many years ago. I've been using the RGB component output and was using a splitter to send the signal to a Vizio LCD and an InFocus projector. I used the HDMI input on the project to connect to a blu-ray player.  I recently replaced my projector with an Epson that has two HDMI inputs so I thought I would try to connect my DVR to it via HDMI.  But I cannot get the DVR to output an HDMI signal at all.

I tried connecting to the TV and then to the projector using different HDMI cables but they always show no signal on the HDMI input.  I figured that maybe the DVR cannot output both RGB and HDMI at the same time so I disconnected everything but the HDMI. Still nothing. Powered the DVR completely off and rebooted. Same for the TV and projector. Still nothing.  If I hook a yellow composite cable to the TV I can see the User Settings menu when I press the Guide button in the off state. It shows TV Type = 16:9, HDMI/YPbPr Output = 1080i.  When powered on, the from panel shows 1080i.  I see nothing in the DVR menu about HDMI output other than enabling sound. Is there some trick to getting HDMI output or is my DVR just broken?

I noticed a friend of mine has a Cisco RNG200 DVR from Comcast. Should I return my SA 8300HD and replace it with that one?  Will it support RGB Component and HDMI at the same time?  If not, will it at least do S-Video and HDMI at the same time?

Cable Expert

Re: No HDMI signal on my SA Explorer 8300HD

I am under the belief that you can't output component and HDMI at the same time no matter what.  The RNG200 is newer, but not without it's own set of quirks.

You are welcome to swap the DVR, bring the remote with.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I think the problem is that you have to enable HDMI output for the 8300HD but since the last firmware update there is no way no change the settings for that. I remember with the old firmware you could go to quick setting and enable hdmi/dvi output, but I cannot find those setting in the new firmware. I hope somebody from Comcast could tell me how to fix this, because I'm not to happy about using component cables in my brand new HDTV.

Silver Problem Solver

if your box works dont replace it,  many people have problems with those cisco boxes and yes you can only output one at a time.  Also the average person cannot notice any difference between a good component cable and an hdmi cable so dont be worried about that.

New Poster

It is not the quality that I'm concerned. My HDTV has 4 hdmi ports but only 1 component and i need that component port for something else. Besides I don't feel comfortable that comcast is taking away configuration options of my box in exchange of a pretty but disfunctional new interface. Also considering that in not too long most HDTV will have HDMI ports exclusively, if I don't have a way of using hdmi my box will be completely useless in a couple of years.

Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem, have 8300HD from Scientific Atlanta and just bought a new HDTV from Samsung.  LED.  Connected the DVR to the TV's HDMI -> no signal, tried all 4 HDMI ports same.  Restarted both a couple of times, no luck.  Went to walmart and bought another HDMI cable just in case, still no signal.  Went through the box setup (Info and some other botton to enter, 1080i is selected).  On the front it says HDTV 1080i, TV still says no signal.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Frequent Visitor

BTW, I did have the component cables and HDMI plugged in initially, but after erading this unplugged the component cable and I still get no signal on HDMI.

Cable Expert

Don't hot-plug the HDMI, unplug the AC power to both the TV and the DVR for two minutes.  Power up the TV first, then the DVR, give that a try.  Let the HDMI / HDCP reset itself.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it but still no signal. 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation