Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

New Problem: Can't get past commercial breaks

ANSWERED
Contributor

New Problem: Can't get past commercial breaks

Ok, my first problem was solved by turning off my pop-up and ad blockers, but a new one has appeared.

While watching the CBS show Unforgettable, at the end of of almost all commercial breaks, I am again getting the "Sorry, this video is unavailable" error message. After 2 or 3 page refreshes, I get a screen asking me if I want to restart or resume the video. I click on Resume. It always resumes from the very beginning. In moving the slider to the approximate time I had watched before, playback starts with another commercial. If playback continues but I had not moved forward enough and I move the slider again - bingo - another commercial. Sometimes when moving forward this way, I get the unavailabe message again at the end of the commercial which sends me back to the beginning of the espisode after clicking on resume after refreshing the page 2 or 3 times. I seem to be in a loop that does not let me finish the video.

Accepted Solution

Re: New Problem: Can't get past commercial breaks

I've been meaning to stop back here to say that whatever problems I had had viewing CBS programs appear to have been fixed. A few weeks ago, without thinking, I started a CBS show and it played with no problems. I decided to watch other CBS programs after that to see what happened, and I have had no further problems. I no longer have to go over to the CBS site to watch their shows, which is nice because they appear to have dropped full episodes.

View answer in context
Tags (1)
Contributor

This is still an intermittent problem when watching CBS shows. The solution appears to be to watch CBS shows directly on CBS.com.

Official Employee

pdgtg wrote:

Ok, my first problem was solved by turning off my pop-up and ad blockers, but a new one has appeared.

While watching the CBS show Unforgettable, at the end of of almost all commercial breaks, I am again getting the "Sorry, this video is unavailable" error message. After 2 or 3 page refreshes, I get a screen asking me if I want to restart or resume the video. I click on Resume. It always resumes from the very beginning. In moving the slider to the approximate time I had watched before, playback starts with another commercial. If playback continues but I had not moved forward enough and I move the slider again - bingo - another commercial. Sometimes when moving forward this way, I get the unavailabe message again at the end of the commercial which sends me back to the beginning of the espisode after clicking on resume after refreshing the page 2 or 3 times. I seem to be in a loop that does not let me finish the video.

I tested the latest episode of Unforgetable titled "Friended" and found no issues.

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Are any other videos working for you?

Also, are any other CBS videos working for you?

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Ok, here is where things stand as of now. I had watched some other CBS shows, including The Good Wife and CSI, and had the same problem. In all cases, eventually I was able to finish the episodes.

I tried watching some shows directly on CBS.com and had no problems. Incidentally, they have full episodes of some shows, such as Person of Interest, and some newer episodes of some shows, than is found on Xfinity.

I then tried watching Hawaii 5-0 on Xfinity and had no problems. The only difference with my system between watching this show and the ones that did have problems is that the most recent Windows updates have been installed.

At this point, I am going to monitor the situation to see if the problem returns or not.

Contributor

Well, it happened again, twice, while watching “CSI: NY - Get Me Out of Here!”. At the end of the commercial break I was told the video was not available. After refreshing the screen I got a start over or resume buttons. I clicked Resume and the video started from the beginning. At least it did not loop on me this time. Being an intermittant problem, it occurred at the end of only two of the commercial breaks, one near the beginning and one near the end.

Pop-ups allowed and AdBlock Plus disabled. My info is:

My Zip Code: 17901 My Cable Provider: Comcast Pottsville Digital My myDVR Manager Status: Not Installed My Set Top Box Names: Not Installed My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: Not Installed My public IP address: 70.105.223.4 My operating system: Windows - rv:7.0.1 My web browser: Firefox 7 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1 My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 4.0.60831.0 My flash version: 11.0 r1 Javascript: enabled Cookies: enabled

Official Employee

pdgtg wrote:

Well, it happened again, twice, while watching “CSI: NY - Get Me Out of Here!”. At the end of the commercial break I was told the video was not available. After refreshing the screen I got a start over or resume buttons. I clicked Resume and the video started from the beginning. At least it did not loop on me this time. Being an intermittant problem, it occurred at the end of only two of the commercial breaks, one near the beginning and one near the end.

Pop-ups allowed and AdBlock Plus disabled. My info is:

My Zip Code: 17901 My Cable Provider: Comcast Pottsville Digital My myDVR Manager Status: Not Installed My Set Top Box Names: Not Installed My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: Not Installed My public IP address: 70.105.223.4 My operating system: Windows - rv:7.0.1 My web browser: Firefox 7 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1 My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 4.0.60831.0 My flash version: 11.0 r1 Javascript: enabled Cookies: enabled

What version of Windows are you using?

Also, try using a different web browser like non-beta versions of Internet Explorer or Google Chrome and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with Service Pack 1. I will try a different browser or two over the next few days to see what happens.

On the bright side, I did manage to watch a couple of CBS shows without incident since my last post.

On the down side, there have been a couple of nusance issues that have occured, both only while watching CBS shows. One is that sometimes when I go to full screen the "Press escape ..." message in the center of the screen does not go away. If that mesage is stuck, it sometimes goes away after a commercial break. The other I believe was a streaming problem not relate to the fact I happened to be watching a CBS show. The image became very pixelated and basically truned green. I rewound to before the pixelation started and started viewing again and the display was fine. This has happened once only.

Contributor

Just a quick observation. In Firefox, I had a dark grey band running across the bottom of the Xfinity window. In Chrome I see that this band is a navigation and control bar. I had not seen these clickable options in Firefox, although I had always assumed something was supposed to be there.

I will actually test watching something from CBS later, when I have time.

Contributor

I have just watched episodes of two different CBS shows without a single problem using Chrome 15.0.874.106. I had no stuck "Press Escape" messages, no "Video not available" problems, no stutering comercials, and no pixellating.

I am cautiously optimistic about using Chrome instead of Firefox and will monitor the situation over the next few days.

Contributor

The third time was definitely not the charm. I tried watching the newest episode of Hawaii 5-0 using Chrome. I initially got the video not available error. I refreshed the screen and playback commenced. I got the video not available message after the first comercial break. I refreshed the screen and got the start over or resume buttons. I clicked on resume and a couple of commercials played, at the end of which I got the video not availabe error.

My window for watching something was not much larger than the length of the episode, so rather than fuss with playback problems, I jumpe over to CBS.com to watch the episode, which I did with no problems.

Contributor

I Watched episodes of two different CBS shows using Safari 5.1.1. One played with no problems and one had the no video avaiable error after a commercial break problem.

I will try using Explorer next, but the problem does not appear to be browser dependant.

Official Employee

pdgtg,

Have you watched any Fox or NBC shows? If so, have you had any issues with them?

Also, are you watching these videos through Wi-Fi or is your computer directly plugged in to a modem?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

I have watched shows from ABC, NBC, Fox, HBO, and BBC America and have not had any problems that I can remember with shows from these networks. In fact, I didn't even think of disabling AdBlock with CBS shows because the adds on shows for other networks come through even with AdBlock enabled. Only shows from CBS have given me any problems. In the past, I had watched shows from USA, but not since getting the new computer. I have also watched a handfull of movies and I don't recall having any problems with them.

I have tried watching from 3 different locations, and I have connected via WiFi at all three locations. It would only be convenient for me to connect directly to the modem at my home.

So far, I have no problems watching CBS shows if I go directly to CBS.com.

Official Employee

Do you have any anti-virus software installed?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

Yes, Avira Free Antivirus.

Contributor

Internet Explorer 9 wouldn't let me play anything - it said I needed to instal Adobe Flash.

The problem with intermitant problems is that they are intermitant. I watched the latest episode of Unforgetable tonight in Firefox with absolutely no problems.

Contributor

This video not available after a commercial break is getting old and I see no solution in sight. I just had the problem watching the latest CSI NY. For now, I will jst head on over to CBS.com to watch CBS shows.

Contributor

I've been meaning to stop back here to say that whatever problems I had had viewing CBS programs appear to have been fixed. A few weeks ago, without thinking, I started a CBS show and it played with no problems. I decided to watch other CBS programs after that to see what happened, and I have had no further problems. I no longer have to go over to the CBS site to watch their shows, which is nice because they appear to have dropped full episodes.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation