Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

More Premium Channels in HD

Regular Contributor

More Premium Channels in HD

How come us Comcast customers don't have all the HBO's, CINEMAX, STARZ, SHOWTIME & The MOVIE CHANNEL in HD??? Would like to watch HBO-WEST in HD instead of SD. I'm on the Garden State, NJ system. The Movie Channel only has 2 channels and both are standard. We are also missing 3 Showtime Channels (Family Zone, Next & Woman) Also what about EPIX TV being added??? Sent many request's into Form Feedback for EPIX TV.

Problem Solver

Re: More Premium Channels in HD

They have been clearing up space over the last year by moving from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4.

Currently only the 1080i local network stations are in MPEG 2 and still Full HD. Every other HD channel is now in 720P MPEG 4.

That means only one HBO channel is 720p and others down-graded to 480p. The same for other premium channels. Please read up on other posts about this decision from Comcast.

Official Employee

Hello tstack, the information that (MNtundraRET) shared regarding all premium channels being in HD is correct. In regards to "EPIX TV" being added to your current channel lineup, we are constantly updating our guide with new channels please provide your feedback here so that this channel can be considered to be added in the near future. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Here in the Boston area, they carry the following premium HD feeds:

HBO2

HBO Latino

HBO Zone

Showtime 2

Showtime Extreme

Starz Edge

Starz Kids

Starz Comedy

The Movie Channel Xtra

But they're all 720p MPEG4.  Also, this area doesn't get channels like GSN HD, POP HD, and Smithsonian HD when areas of northern NJ do.  Comcast should get consistent with their HD channel offerings nationwide.

Official Employee

Hi ajr22, we are constantly making changes to your channel lineup to accommodate your needs. We are actively working on a getting content provided in HD to you from all of your subscribed networks. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Ok but what about the other 3 Showtime channels we don't receive???
Official Employee

tstack wrote: Ok but what about the other 3 Showtime channels we don't receive???

We either don't have room for them on the guide (which we are working to create more channels to add networks) or the region you're in does not have an agreement to play the channel desired. Example HBO East can only be seen in some areas at this time, but you may be able to view HBO west instead due to where you're located and the rules/restrictions set by your regions networks.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Thanks Amir, so when will Garden State NJ customers see more HD or SD channels added?
Official Employee

tstack wrote: Thanks Amir, so when will Garden State NJ customers see more HD or SD channels added?

There is no set time on when more HD channels will be added due to us acquiring licensing agreements from each network to add the additional content. But I am confident that you will see these changes in the near future. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

I'd rather see them stop bit-starving the MPEG-4 channels. More channels that look like garbage doesn't really get us anywhere. Giving them enough bandwidth to actually look decent would be better. But it seems Comcast doesn't want to invest in their last mile infrastructure, and instead gives us relatively few bit-starved channels.

Official Employee

BiggAJW wrote: I'd rather see them stop bit-starving the MPEG-4 channels. More channels that look like garbage doesn't really get us anywhere. Giving them enough bandwidth to actually look decent would be better. But it seems Comcast doesn't want to invest in their last mile infrastructure, and instead gives us relatively few bit-starved channels.

We do listen to customer feedback, here is the best place to leave your comments so they can be considered in future updates. Please click on this link to provide your feedback. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation