Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

More Comcast Roku No Authorizes

Regular Contributor

More Comcast Roku No Authorizes

Add History and A&E to the list of Roku channels Comcast won't authorize.

I'm only 6 months into my 2 year agreement and between the billing, inceasingly more spotty internet connection, seriously lacking customer service, an ever increasing number of paid On-Demand shows and this BS with not authorizing Roku channels, I'm practically to the point of dumping them and going back to what I had before.

New Poster

Re: More Comcast Roku No Authorizes

I 100% agree. That is the reason I only use comcast for my isp which is only because there is nothing else in the area. I canceled all my cable tv and save $100. If they aren't going to authorize HBO Go, The History Channel, and others on my media devices like the Roku then screw them. Its bad enough they own that POS channel MSNBC and won't allow channels like the Blaze in the line up. They have managed to absolutely sour me on their company.

New Poster

Well said. They completely take the customers for granted by neglecting to support alternatives like Roku and Apple TV. The Xfinity/Comcast executives might be surprised to learn that customers appreciate having choices as opposed to being force to make decisions.

New Poster

I am new to the new Roku box, having just ordered it the other day (mainly to get the new WWE channel and ESPN on my HDTV since I don't have a PS3/4 or XBox).  I have seen on the forums that HBO GO is not authorized on Roku, along with History and A&E channel.  Is there any other channels that they block?  In particular, ESPN3 is one that want to be able to watch on my big screen and not on my laptop/iPad.

Regular Visitor

I too purchased a ROKU (and have a slingbox on my wish-list) mostly because someone I know has a daily show on Freespeech TV and it's good to see as well as hear it on Livestream/freespeechtv.

RE:  not autorizing channels:  Of course they won't authorize any channel they can avoid because it's direct competitioin to their monopoly and bypassed the tweaked regulations they paid er, donated to campaigns to have inserted into law.

You certainly won't find any channel whose point of view is people-centered and not a corporate sell-out, i.e. freespeech tv or progressive content.  Among the big monopolies such as Time Warner, Cox, Dish, Direct TV and especially Comcast, you will find them kicking and screaming into a future where the monopoly they created to compete with broadcast television (while broadcasters were kicking and screaming), is challenged in a similar way by streaming from the internet we all paid for many times in many ways.

Way back in the 80's, I believe, to get some tax breaks, AT&T and other providers promised to build broadband access to all communities.  They got the tax breaks, but we didn't get the capital investment to bring broadband to the entire US.

While other countries are creating information infrastructure as fast as they can, our corporate masters will hold out as long as possible to maximize profits.  Corporations do not "care" about people:  only profit-by law.  It's up to real people to regulate them so they don't turn us all into wage slaves or worse.

New Poster

And they say the merger of Time Warner and Comcast won't be a monopoly forcing content supplier to accomodate their wishes. One more reason to say "good-bye" Comcast!

New Poster

<only use comcast for my isp which is only because there is nothing else in the area. I canceled all my cable tv and save $100> 

How did you drop cable and just keep the ISP? I am paying $89 a month for the cable/internet service and I NEVER watch cable TV, just stuff on ROKU (movies, etc.). I called them and they said I can NOT just get internet service, that cable TV has to come with it; thus I'm the $89 just to access the net.

PLEASE inform me.

Regular Contributor

It's quite simple to drop cable TV and just keep the internet. I wrote about it here...

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/WE-WANT-NETFLIX-SUPER-HD/td-p/1691409

New Poster

Why doesn't comcast authorize History Channel. That sucks. I love comcast but i think they are to controling. I may bswitch and I will tell all my friends the same!

New Poster

I have been more than disappointed with my Comcast service. I only was using them for Internet until they raised my bill to $97.00 per month. Even through I am one of the only people I know who pay my bill 3 wks early every mo. Anyway now  I have cable as well which I hadn't had in several years and wow has it changed. You now must PAY for on demand, and Comcast doesn't give access to most of the apps on the streaming devices such as Roku, because they say that would be one less TV watching Comcast  the house. Why don't they see that the second, and I do mean the second that any other Internet company becomes available to us...we will all cancel, fees or not, their AWFUL customer service, they lie, and then tell you "oh yes we are allowed to tell you whatever" so how do they keep customers, by being the only one...but people no longer want 300 channels they don't watch, we want to get the 10-15 that we do, and stream them. Everyone I know HATES Comcast, they biggest issue is, they don't care that they are hated. They continue giving everyone a different price every month, if it was one set price for everyone, that is the only way they would ever redeem themselves, for each service, lol, but it would never happen, and they must stop lying.

New Poster

Comcast is nothing but a lie and a scam. They have over charged me twice now and i cancelled their bullsht tv service because of this but i kept the Internet but i can't activate my roku box. Mother f.ers is what they are. Guess I'll get my Web somewhere else. P.O.S
New Poster

Amen. I haven't watched commercial television or even cable in 10 years. I use Comcast for one purpose: the Internet. Yet, I pay an exhorbitant fee monthly. I use Roku for "television" watching and Netflix Instant Play as my main source. or programming. Comcast is awful. And, you're correct. The second another company becomes available, I am GONE.

New Poster

Question: Can we cancel the cable service and still get internet service? They say no.

Bronze Problem Solver

gcarterm wrote:

Question: Can we cancel the cable service and still get internet service? They say no.

Hi there,

That depends on if you signed up for a packaged deal.

If you purchased both services at different times, then yes, you should be able to. However, if you are in a bundled deal, you may have to wait until the contract expires.

Thanks!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 27 kudos
  • 12 in conversation