Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Modem Change and TV not working

New Poster

Modem Change and TV not working

Hello,

I had purchased my own modem (Linksys CM3024) and swapped that out for the Comcast/Xfinity modem.  Prior to doing this, I did call Comcast and talk to them to make sure that my wireless Xi5 TV boxes would still work and they confirmed everything would still work.  After switching out the Comcast modem for the Linksys, and activation of the Linksys modem, my internet worked but my Xi5 TV boxes did not work. I was then switched over to the 'Advanced Technical Team' and was still told that it would work. As one of my TVs poped up with WiFi setup, I foolishly disconnected with Comcast.  I input my private WiFi and connected to the network and it did not connect to live TV.  After two more calls and assurance that I do NOT need the Xfinity modem for the Xi5 TV boxes to work (on the phone multiple times via different people and in writing,) I can not get these boxes to work. My internet does work and my cable DVR box does work.

Does anyone know any answers to this?  Other posts I see here say it will only work with the Comcast modem while five out of six employees I have talked to from Comcast say it will work with my personal WiFi.  At this point, I would be happy to know just how to change the network back from my personal WiFi to the Comcast modem.

Service Expert

Re: Modem Change and TV not working

jubieanna wrote:

Hello,

I had purchased my own modem (Linksys CM3024) and swapped that out for the Comcast/Xfinity modem.  Prior to doing this, I did call Comcast and talk to them to make sure that my wireless Xi5 TV boxes would still work and they confirmed everything would still work.  After switching out the Comcast modem for the Linksys, and activation of the Linksys modem, my internet worked but my Xi5 TV boxes did not work. I was then switched over to the 'Advanced Technical Team' and was still told that it would work. As one of my TVs poped up with WiFi setup, I foolishly disconnected with Comcast.  I input my private WiFi and connected to the network and it did not connect to live TV.  After two more calls and assurance that I do NOT need the Xfinity modem for the Xi5 TV boxes to work (on the phone multiple times via different people and in writing,) I can not get these boxes to work. My internet does work and my cable DVR box does work.

Does anyone know any answers to this?  Other posts I see here say it will only work with the Comcast modem while five out of six employees I have talked to from Comcast say it will work with my personal WiFi.  At this point, I would be happy to know just how to change the network back from my personal WiFi to the Comcast modem.

The X1 currently works by communicating with a Hub using MoCA. The Comcast gateway is a MoCA hub and joins the network and relays the MoCA signal over wireless to the Xi5. The MoCA that Comcast uses appears to be password protected so even if you had a gateway that was MoCA capable it would not be able to join the X1 MoCA mesh network. Fix is to rent the necessary gateway from Comcast to keep the Xi5 working.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation