Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

(MAC OSX) Silverlight installed, updated - xfinity will not recognize?

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

(MAC OSX) Silverlight installed, updated - xfinity will not recognize?

Operating system: Mac OSX 10.5.8

Browser: Safari 5.0.6

Silverlight version: Silverlight 1 (1.0.30715.0) (Which has been verified by the Silverlight website)

My problem: After installing Silverlight, xfinity still insists I "upgrade my current version". I click on the link, and I get:

"The version of Silverlight installed is:
Silverlight 1 (1.0.30715.0)
You are ready to use Microsoft Silverlight"

I have tried the following:

• Resetting Safari (wiping cache, cookies, etc)
  • Restarting computer
  • Playing video in Opera web browser (However, I don't think opera is a supported browser?)
  • Reinstalling Silverlight
  • Deleting the Silverlight plugin from my internet plugins folder and reinstalling
  • Checking for software updates on my computer (everything is updated)

I'm just not understanding the problem. And it seems to only give me this message with certain TV shows. The plugin is in my internet plugins folder, and the silverlight website has verified I have the most recent version. Anyone else having this issue?

Accepted Solution

*RESOLVED* (MAC OSX) Silverlight installed, updated - xfinity will not recognize?

I have solved this issue.

It had to do with my Safari browser "Opening with Rosetta"

To correct this, I went to Applications and right-clicked on Safari, chose "open info" and unchecked "Open with Rosetta"

Afterward, I went back to the Silverlight website and it offered me the CORRECT version (version 5! NOT 1!)

Hope this helps anyone else facing this issue! Smiley Happy

ALSO - After correcting the silverlight issue, I couldn't get past the loading screen for videos in Safari 5, so I downloaded Firefox 8 and am able to watch in that browser with no problems.

View answer in context
Silver Problem Solver

Re: (MAC OSX) Silverlight installed, updated - xfinity will not recognize?

did you update flash?

Contributor

Yes, I have wasted almost 2 hours of chat on this exact issue.  Mac Mini with 10.5.8.  cannot watch Xfinity TV but can watch Comcast news short and anything else on the Internet.  Unbelievable.  Did the same things as you and still cannot watch.  I go to Hulu and watch with no problem.  

The chat people are becoming very predictable and still no results. 

Silver Problem Solver

ok so what does the website say when you go to it and try to play a video?  do you have any other computer or device to try this on. 

The problem is no two people have the exact computer, everyone has their own programs, firewall, antivirus etc. since no two are alike its hard to trouble shoot it. 

I know for windows pc silverlight is version 5 is it really v 1 for mac?

Contributor

Ok, I turned off 2 Safari extensions; Adblock & ClicktoFlash and can play NBC videos but still can't get past "this film rated MA" for playing Dexter from Showtime.  It prompts to screen that says parental controls are turned off and that's it.  Nothing happens.  I tested this on wife's PC and mentioned screen lasted 1 second and then video played, commercial & then video.  Acually have made great progress as this is the 2nd attempt to play Xfinity video on this Mac Mini using Safari browser.

As far as that MA screen I really didn't care about Showtime that much. An error message would be appreciated as have no clue.   Can't have everything.  ????

Silver Problem Solver

make sure in the app and and online you have parental controlls off.  log in to your account from the tab on top of this page that says my account go to users and settings and at the bottom make sure parental controls are off.

Its always some random program that blocks access like you siad adblock and clicktoflash, no one would know that that is why its so hard to troubleshoot these issues. 

Frequent Visitor

Yes, flash is updated.

When I try to watch a video it says "You are almost ready to watch [NAME OF TV SHOW] Please upgrade your Microsoft Silverlight plug-in to begin watching this video." and below, a button to direct me to Silverlight. 

When I click on that button, it takes me to a silverlight webpage that verifies I have the most current version of the software, and there is no option for downloading up upgrading to higher version. 

Also, I have no pop up blockers or firewalls installed other than the free Norton software Comcast has supplied me with account. 

Unfortunately I have no other computers to try this on.

Frequent Visitor

How did you turn those extensions off?

Frequent Visitor

After some trial and error I have concluded at least this much:

I am able to watch CBS, ABC, and Fox shows, however, I cannot watch shows from other networks (ie, MTV, Lifetime, Discovery, Nickelodeon, etc)

So now I'm wondering, does this have to do with my current cable package (I have the most basic cable package with no movie or HD channels), or do these networks run on Silverlight while CBS, ABC, and Fox do not? In which case, I am still fighting to figure out why on earth it keeps telling me to update my Silverlight when Silverlight insists I have the latest version installed and there are no updates that I need.

Hrmph!! 

Silver Problem Solver

why dont you PM the operator that posted about disabling those extensions, I am not a mac person so have no idea how to do that.

try turning off your norton see if that works.  Are you sure you dont' have a firewall running?

Official Employee

Melissity wrote:

Operating system: Mac OSX 10.5.8

Browser: Safari 5.0.6

Silverlight version: Silverlight 1 (1.0.30715.0) (Which has been verified by the Silverlight website)

My problem: After installing Silverlight, xfinity still insists I "upgrade my current version". I click on the link, and I get:

"The version of Silverlight installed is:
You are ready to use Microsoft Silverlight"

I have tried the following:

• Resetting Safari (wiping cache, cookies, etc)
  • Restarting computer
  • Playing video in Opera web browser (However, I don't think opera is a supported browser?)
  • Reinstalling Silverlight
  • Deleting the Silverlight plugin from my internet plugins folder and reinstalling
  • Checking for software updates on my computer (everything is updated)

I'm just not understanding the problem. And it seems to only give me this message with certain TV shows. The plugin is in my internet plugins folder, and the silverlight website has verified I have the most recent version. Anyone else having this issue?

Go here and try updating your Silverlight Player:

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

To answer the question about disabling extensions on a Mac you need to have them.  Safari, Preferences, Extensions tab.  If you haven't put them in they won't be there.   :<{ )   

Frequent Visitor

I clicked on the link, and it gave me this message immediately:

The version of Silverlight installed is:

You are ready to use Microsoft Silverlight

I am going to try uninstalling/reinstalling again... even tho I already tried that, maybe it'll magically work this time?
Frequent Visitor

I attempted the uninstall/reinstall thing, and it didn't work. I have come to the conclusion, after reading several other non-xfinity forums, this is a silverlight+mac issue, having nothing to do with xfinity whatsoever. Smiley Sad However if I stumble upon a solution, I will post again. Thanks for your help. 

Frequent Visitor

*RESOLVED* (MAC OSX) Silverlight installed, updated - xfinity will not recognize?

I have solved this issue.

It had to do with my Safari browser "Opening with Rosetta"

To correct this, I went to Applications and right-clicked on Safari, chose "open info" and unchecked "Open with Rosetta"

Afterward, I went back to the Silverlight website and it offered me the CORRECT version (version 5! NOT 1!)

Hope this helps anyone else facing this issue! Smiley Happy

ALSO - After correcting the silverlight issue, I couldn't get past the loading screen for videos in Safari 5, so I downloaded Firefox 8 and am able to watch in that browser with no problems.

New Poster

Re: *RESOLVED* (MAC OSX) Silverlight installed, updated - xfinity will not recognize?

Lucky you . I am so sick of dicking around trying to solve this issue. Won't work in Safari  won't work in Firefox. I have installed upgraded updated uninstalled reinstalled cleared and disabled. I'm paying almost 200 dollars a month for cable and all I get is error messages online and on my DVR.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation