Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Looking to purchase a 4K TV

New Poster

Looking to purchase a 4K TV

I'm looking to purchase a 4K TV and I was wondering if it's even worth it. Does Xfinity currently support 4K TVs? Also, if I purchase a 4K TV will it work with my current box?

Thank you!!

Official Employee

Re: Looking to purchase a 4K TV

It's up you if it's worth it or not. Presently, Comcast has no 4K programming. If the tv has the appropriate inputs, it will work with your present cable box.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Problem Solver

You should be aware of the fact that there is no 4K being broadcast over the air (antenna), or on Cable (Comcast at least) at the current time. Their "Ultra HD Sampler" has problems.

Direct TV claims to have 3 channels for 4K over satellite. This is very expensive and problematic at the current time. Check out their forum.

There is 4K programing available over high-speed broadband from: You Tube (free), You Tube Red (fee), Netflix (fee), Amazon Prime (fee), and other sources.

Service Expert

mer1012 wrote:

I'm looking to purchase a 4K TV and I was wondering if it's even worth it. Does Xfinity currently support 4K TVs? Also, if I purchase a 4K TV will it work with my current box?

Thank you!!

If I had the money, I would buy a 4k TV, a 4k DVR, and an Atmos receiver.  There are other ways to get 4k content in addition to 4k DVR's.  Do some googling.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Don't forget 4k will use more internet data as well. 

Problem Solver

I have a 4K Vizio and it works just fine wih my X1 box.

Pretty much all 4K TVs now have High Dynamic Range (HDR) support, either with HDR 10 or Dolby Vision, and those IMO are a much better entertainment upgrade than simply 4k. 

But as others have stated, you need a source for 4K content for sure - the XBox One S has 4k HDR support, and the new Apple TV with a whole library of 4k HDR content on iTunes, plus Netflix and Amazon among others offer 4k HDR content as well. 

Is it worth it? It has been for me, since I have Netflix, Amazon, an XBox One S, and a large iTunes movie collection and a few 4k HDR Blu-Rays, but of course YMMV. 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation