Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

License Issue 3338

Contributor

License Issue 3338

It seems odd to block users from streaming to their tv when the Xfinity TV app only lets you watch stuff when you're on the same wifi network as your Xfinity account.  Maybe I'm missing something but what's the point of blocking ipads and iphones, etc, when you can use a computer for the same purpose? 

Frequent Visitor

Re: License Issue 3338

Desktop computers are blocked, but in a  different way.  The blockage concept is the same, but the apps vary in detail according to the operating system being used.  If a user experiences a software glitch or if any movie studio complains, then the Comcast license for that TV channel or that movie is deleted from the user's computer by Flash. Once a license is deleted it cannot be restored.  The license cannot be restored because the user is not in the License distribution group. Flash itself, the app, can be downloaded, but the deleted License is not downloaded, i.e., the Comcast License is not distributed to the end user.  The user may attempt to make changes either in the old Flash or in the new downloaded Flash Player Local Settings Manager, but in either case nothing is happening.  No error message is shown.  The user may think that he has made some license changes, but he is only pushing keys.  The loss of licenses is  100% contageous.  If even one TV channel or one movie loses its license then all of the Comcast videos for that user will lose their licenses.  The entire Comcast.net video license has been deleted for that user.  For that user all of the videos on Comcast will go down.  A few exceptions may exist.  Many people may say that the above description is incorrect.  I read through some forums and numerous users have followed all of the steps given to them by support.  The problems of many of these users were not solved. The users wrote about many different problems and many different error codes.  The problems were diverse in many ways.  The diversity did not matter.  Many users wrote that after many attempts their problems remained unsolved. This licensing issue did not happen by chance. The issue is in the mega-meta-system that some unspecified group has created intentionally.  The issue cannot be solved by a few intelligent, hardworking support people.  It is a piracy-industry problem.  The piracy-industry conflict lead to the creation of DRM management.  DRM management is not working. Many honest, paying customers are losing their entertainment. That is similar to the way that real war works.  Soldiers are killed, and approximately the same number of innocent civilians are killed.  Welcome to the software wars.

Frequent Visitor

On Chromebooks the licenses cannot be reset.  Flash is EMBEDDED in the Chrome OS.  Also, Flash can neither be downloaded nor updated when using Chrome OS.  Essentially some software error has already reset the licenses to what they were BEFORE THEY EXISTED, i.e., zero. After set to zero a second reset puts them back to where they were before the second reset, i.e., zero.  Once zero always zero.  The licenses are created by Comcast.  Flash cannot replace them.  Only Comcast can replace them, and Comcast has no way to do that.  

"He's dead, Jim"/"It's dead, Jim"

Contributor

So I use my iDevice to directly watch something on the xfinity TV app (as long as I'm on the same wifi network as my DVR), otherwise I have to use the xfinity TV Go app to download shows before I leave my network.  However, if I plug my iDevice into my tv using the lightning AV adapter while still on my network, the xfinity TV app won't play anything.  Yes, due to licensing.  Why though?  If the app only allows you to watch while on that specific network, why does it matter if its using a different display?  Especially when I can get my laptop (which also is only able watch live or recorded shows while on the same network as my DVR) and go to the xtv.comcast.net website (same thing as the xfinity TV app) and plug it into any display available to watch.  Why make one license allow it while the other doesn't if it only works on a specific network anyway?  That's not great use of DRM, IMO.  If they're worried about that, it'd be easier to copy the video off the xtv.comcast.net website with a computer than it would using an iDevice porting to a different display.  Plus, that ability is or was available on jailbroken iDevices.  Even though it does have to do with licensing, to me it seems like its either more of an issue with the app's design for acceptability in the Apple app store or some agreement between Apple and Comcast, not DRM per se.   

Frequent Visitor

I like your idea concerning the app's design. Maybe the problem has something to do with the electromagnetic pathway.  The plug-in pathway is direct wire. The wifi pathway is through the air.  I have only been using ethernet direct wire, and that receives nothing.  I can occasionally access a weak-signal wifi; however, I have not explored using that signal.  I am in a hiatus concerning my iphone. Hopefully my situation will change soon, and I will have a new iphone.  I will then test its wifi.  This is an interesting situation, but frustrating.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation