Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

In the U.S. but get non-U.S. playback error anyway

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

In the U.S. but get non-U.S. playback error anyway

I am in the U.S. and using an IP address from San Francisco. But I get the error:

Sorry, playback is unavailable.

XfinityTV videos can only be viewed from within the US. ...

Change of browser (from IE to Mozilla Firefox) was no help. Restart of computer was no help. Was able to start an episode of The Simpsons, which seems to be unrestricted.

How can I clear this error?

Running Windows 7. IP address is 64.134.222.159

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: In the U.S. but get non-U.S. playback error anyway

bunny4882 wrote:

OK. I was able to get a few minutes on the hotspot at Barnes & Noble. Got a Starz movie to launch just fine. Back at my hotel now, and I'm getting the same old out-of-US error...

Now what?

The issue lies with the hotel's internet set-up then. Their firewall is probably extremely strict and is not allowing videos to play.

Sorry,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

View answer in context
Official Employee

bunny4882 wrote:

I am in the U.S. and using an IP address from San Francisco. But I get the error:

Sorry, playback is unavailable.

XfinityTV videos can only be viewed from within the US. ...

Change of browser (from IE to Mozilla Firefox) was no help. Restart of computer was no help. Was able to start an episode of The Simpsons, which seems to be unrestricted.

How can I clear this error?

Running Windows 7. IP address is 64.134.222.159

Thanks.

Try resetting your modem and then try again.

If that doesn't work, do you have any anti-virus software installed?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

My hotel did reset the modem yesterday. It didn't fix the problem. Now, I sometimes get a subscription error (so the basic TV programs from CBS, Fox, etc. will play back, but not Comedy Central, HBO, Starz, BBC, etc.), but eventually get the non-US error if I keep trying. IP address didn't change. It is still  64.134.222.159

Yes, I do run antivirus software. it is Microsoft Security Essentials.

Official Employee

bunny4882 wrote:

My hotel did reset the modem yesterday. It didn't fix the problem. Now, I sometimes get a subscription error (so the basic TV programs from CBS, Fox, etc. will play back, but not Comedy Central, HBO, Starz, BBC, etc.), but eventually get the non-US error if I keep trying. IP address didn't change. It is still  64.134.222.159

Yes, I do run antivirus software. it is Microsoft Security Essentials.

Try following the steps on this site and let me know if it works:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/change-ip

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry, but those instructions assume I have control of the modem or the router. I don't. I am at a resort hotel, and my only internet access is the ATT WiFi hotspot controlled by the hotel. I was able to get a modem reboot last night, but I can't expect the hotel to disturb the entire network again.

After last night's modem reboot, I am able to get the subscription error instead of the non-US error. (But then after multiple attempts it does revert to the non-US error.) So, can we focus on the subscription problem. That isn't a function of IP address, right? It should be related to my Comcast login (which is mary4882 and/or bunny4882.)

Thanks.

Official Employee

bunny4882 wrote:

Sorry, but those instructions assume I have control of the modem or the router. I don't. I am at a resort hotel, and my only internet access is the ATT WiFi hotspot controlled by the hotel. I was able to get a modem reboot last night, but I can't expect the hotel to disturb the entire network again.

After last night's modem reboot, I am able to get the subscription error instead of the non-US error. (But then after multiple attempts it does revert to the non-US error.) So, can we focus on the subscription problem. That isn't a function of IP address, right? It should be related to my Comcast login (which is mary4882 and/or bunny4882.)

Thanks.

Try uninstalling then re-installing Silverlight. Go here for step-by-step instructions:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/help/technical-support/xfinity-tv-player/#silverlight-reinstall

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Uninstalled & reinstalled Silverlight (64 bit version). Started getting the non-US error again. So rebooted PC and did the Silverlight uninstall/reinstall again. 64-bit version again. (Microsoft wouldn't give me a 32-bit version.) Still getting the non-US error, in IE and in Firefox browser.

Official Employee

bunny4882 wrote:

Uninstalled & reinstalled Silverlight (64 bit version). Started getting the non-US error again. So rebooted PC and did the Silverlight uninstall/reinstall again. 64-bit version again. (Microsoft wouldn't give me a 32-bit version.) Still getting the non-US error, in IE and in Firefox browser.

Is there any other internet connection you can try? Like any nearby wireless hotspots?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Will try another hotspot when I have the opportunity. For the near term, I am stuck here, without transportation.

Frequent Visitor

OK. I was able to get a few minutes on the hotspot at Barnes & Noble. Got a Starz movie to launch just fine. Back at my hotel now, and I'm getting the same old out-of-US error...

Now what?

Official Employee

bunny4882 wrote:

Now what?

The issue lies with the hotel's internet set-up then. Their firewall is probably extremely strict and is not allowing videos to play.

Sorry,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Oh, firewall problem. Yes, that could be it. Thanks for your help.

Gold Problem Solver

ComcastJoe wrote: ... The issue lies with the hotel's internet set-up then. Their firewall is probably extremely strict and is not allowing videos to play. ...

That's possible. But why would it cause Comcast to generate a "not in USA" error message? Wouldn't a more appropriate message be better?

Frequent Visitor

I tried to view a program on pbs.org and got a similar error:
... not available in your region due to rights restrictions ...

Maybe my IP address looks spoofed? 

Frequent Visitor

So I spoke to tech support for the hotspot I'm on (ATT WiFi). Best guess from them is that this is a DRM issue. Likely my particular server has not been added to the list of acceptable IPs that the content streaming server checks.

Official Employee

bunny4882 wrote:

So I spoke to tech support for the hotspot I'm on (ATT WiFi). Best guess from them is that this is a DRM issue. Likely my particular server has not been added to the list of acceptable IPs that the content streaming server checks.

Try the steps in the link below and let me know if it works. If this fixes your issue, then I will further look into why you are getting this error message. The messaging should be different then a non-USA error message:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/help/technical-support/xfinity-tv-player/#silverlight-drm

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I already have that Silverlight config in place. (Re-installed Silverlight last week in response to earlier suggestions.)

Last night, I went to Hotmail (mail.live.com) and Microsoft told me that I was in Canada, and suggested via a popup window that I would prefer to use the Canadian site for Hotmail.

So I went to cbc.ca and found I can play TV shows from the CBC, which are usually limited to users in Canada. It seems that every computer on the internet thinks I am in Canada. But ATT WiFi told me everything is operating correctly and they can't help me any further.

Is there some master-list of IP addresses that every DRM uses to map IP to actual location? If ao, perhaps it has an erroneous entry that maps my IP to a city in Canada???

[This seems similar to a situation years ago with my US mail:  There was some error in the US Postal Service zip code database. Said my zip was for Auburn, but my address is actually in Federal Way. No matter how many times I corrected my address, large companies would set the city to Auburn again. Finally, the USPS database was fixed, and now all my mail is correct.]

Thank you ComcastJoe!

~~~~ Mary

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation