Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

I think you need more streaming rates

Regular Contributor

I think you need more streaming rates

After almost 5 months of mostly unwatchable service on the Xfinity streaming site I think I might have figured out why it is so bad...or at least a way to make it not suck entirely.

It seems like Comcast only has two rates that it streams content at. There is the "high definition" rate (looks to be about 720), and a "low definition" rate (an unwatchable video soup of about 240). There doesn't seem to be anything inbetween, so you have a choice of a low def, garbled mess that is barely watchable or a decent high def picture...that buffers all of the time because Comcast's streaming tech is not up to the task of having more than one person watch a feed at a time.

I just checked a random Netflix title that streams in HD. There are 8 different rates that it can stream at depending on your internet connection and Netflix's server load. Heck, even non-HD titles can stream at 6 different rates. If you could just pass this info along to your engineers (assuming you have any) and implement it I think you'll find you have a lot less angry customers.

Now, to discuss my payment for doing freelance QA for you...

Silver Problem Solver

Re: I think you need more streaming rates

your experience is not the norm.  How good your stream is, is a direct result of the infrasturcture in your area combined with how fast your internet and computer speed are.

Regular Contributor

Your reply doesn't even make sense, unless you can demonstrate to me that Xfinity streams at more than two bandwidths.

Silver Problem Solver

you said your playback does not work or is choppy.  I said that how good your streaming experience is, is based on how good your infrastruture is how fast your computer is and how fast your connection is.  Comcast has SD movies to stream and hd movies to stream.    Are you asking for lower quality streams to make up for a lack of computing power or bandwith speed?

Regular Contributor

I swear you are a Comcast sponsored troll or something. I appreciate that you at least bump the thread, but the whole "Its your fault, not Comcast's" thing doesn't play with people who know their systems. All of the people who have the same problem as me have reported that this problem ONLY occurs with Xfinity, not Netfliz, Amazon, etc.

You have said REPEATEDLY that you have no problem with the Xfinity site. I'm sure you feel great about that, but theres no need to rub it in. You don't seem to know computers very well if your best advice is reset your browser, check your cookies, blah blah blah. I built my computer and maintain it regularly, so you can see how that kind of advice is worthless and frustrating. You dont seem to have very good reading comprehension either, seeing as how you say the same thing ad nauseum regardless of the subject of the thread. I can't seem to block you from my threads so I am asking you AGAIN to stop posting in them. I will report you to Comcast as the spamming troll you are if you keep up with this. Please don't respond, just STOP.

Frequent Visitor

I would just be happy if the 720 stream would actually stream. It is choppey and buffers for 3 or so seconds every 15-30 seconds, and that is not watchable in my opinion. The 720 p stream does not look as good as 720p streams of other services by a long shot and it still does not stream. you would think using comcast blast internet I would be able to use their streaming service but I can not. The low quality streams usually play with less buffering but they still buffer, and frankly look worse that a 1982 vhs tape. I have run several speed tests and always break 50mbps on comcast and speedtest.net sites. I am able to stream any quality of netflix just fine, and all hd streams from revision3 and hulu play without a single buffer. I put this off on the xfinity servers of streampix at this point.

Frequent Visitor

I stream movies and tv shows every day on my pc phone and ipad, never an issue, I think comcast experience differs based on where you live.   If you have competition like fios in your area comcast has to step their game up, if you have no competition in your area then you might have issues.  Just my opinion based on what I have read here. 

Frequent Visitor

I have google fiber in my area and they can't come close to that. Too bad it's still 7 miles from getting to my neighborhood.
Regular Contributor

scott-bobby wrote:

I stream movies and tv shows every day on my pc phone and ipad, never an issue, I think comcast experience differs based on where you live.   If you have competition like fios in your area comcast has to step their game up, if you have no competition in your area then you might have issues.  Just my opinion based on what I have read here. 

I agree. Its the only explanation as to why some of us are so screwed while others have no problem streaming content. Whatever the reason, I'm tired of it.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation