Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

I am ready to cancel my comcast account!

New Poster

I am ready to cancel my comcast account!

Why does a message come up telling me I have to install microsoft silverlight to watch online TV? I have a brand new laptop with Windows 7 .

Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: I am ready to cancel my comcast account!

I am also ready to cancel my comcast account but for a different reason (incompetence by Comcast).  Sorry I can't be of help to you.

New Poster

It is not likely that Silverlight was installed by default by the laptop manufacturer. You can either follow the provided updates or run Microsoft update as Microsoft does push out Silverlight as an optional update. Since Microsoft considers this to be an optional update, OEM are not required to install it. Additionally, Comcast has decided to use Silverlight as an alternative to Adobe Flash, which would also not likely be installed on your new system by default. Either way this is not the responsibility of Comcast.

Regular Visitor

flash is also used by th comcast site and you can update flash at www.adobe.com however i disagree with the prior customers assessment you can download silverlight standalone here http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/ the reason that comcast uses both technologies is that silver light handles compression better so it can play longer movies using less data 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation