Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Home theater ground loop

New Poster

Home theater ground loop

Hi,

I have a home theater system with AC powered speakers off of the pre-amp outputs on my HT receiver. It has always been important to make sure the grounds everywhere were solid to make this system work.

Originally, when I set up my system with a new receiver with all HDMI I/O, I developed a ground loop hum that persisted for all uses (DVR, BluRay, CD, etc.). I had everything in the system on the same circuit but the hum remained.

When I disconnected the cable from the DVR, or the DVR HDMI cable from the receiver, the hum went away. After doing some research on the subject I installed a TII 220 ground loop isolator and presto, the hum was gone!

FF 6 months, Comcast notifies me that they've detected a signal leak at my residence and we set up an appointment to check it out. The tech traces it to the GLI, I remove it, and the leak disappears. The only suggestion that the tech had was to run the HDMI DVR output direct to the TV for video and use fiber optic for audio to the receiver. Of course I didn't get around to that for a while since it involves reprogramming remotes, but inevitably I found out that it didn't solve the problem so now I'm stuck with this hum again. 

Does anyone know of a GLI that doesn't leak cable frequencies, and really, shouldn't Comcast at least offer some kind of solution since it's the connection to their equipment that's causing the problem?

Official Employee

Re: Home theater ground loop

slthomas1, what service issues were you seeing as a result of the leak? I'm thinking that there was noticeable ingress found at your home but I'm not sure the cabling in your home would have caused that much ingress. Hard to say. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation