Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Has anyone had luck with using an external drive to increase storage? Esata or USB?

Frequent Visitor

Has anyone had luck with using an external drive to increase storage? Esata or USB?

Has anyone had luck with using an external drive to increase storage? Esata or USB? 500gb too small. And the X1 promised unlimited storage never came to light!! I endured all the problems as a first time adopter of X1. Best one was when box shut down during the superbowl the split second Malcolm Butler intercepted the pass, and Pats went on to win. I was beyond words mad, but it's done. Still has little bugs, but I have been beaten into submission, and just regularly reset box. Not worth the time for a call, and all signals seem fine. Just bugs, something X1 will always have. But I really want to break through the 500gb wall without spending a small fortune on a TiVO, which still requires a dammed montly fee.

Official Employee

Re: Has anyone had luck with using an external drive to increase storage? Esata or USB?

Nothing has changed in regards to External Hard drives.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Has anyone had luck with using an external drive to increase storage? Esata or USB?

WHY? Do you remeber when X1 first came out, and one of the claims was "unlimited storage of recordings"? Is Comcast hoping we will all forget the original sales pitch? Heck, you guy's could make DVR's with bigger HDD's and rent them for more. Has upper management ever considered that? I hate to admit it, but I would pay more per month for a DVR with 3tb storage. And the price of HDD's has come down a lot since X1 came out. Too bad there wasn't a way to swap out HDD's in existing boxes. Is there a way?

Official Employee

No, the only way to increase storage is an additional dvr.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Is Comcast even considering a larger capacity DVR in the near future? Renting more DVR's to gain additional storage goes against the original promise of X1, so, as I am so used to with many corporations, I am SOL Smiley Sad Disappointment is my closest friend. Comcast is a great stock though, because they make a lot off of their customers, because of issues just like this. And I am being nice. I had your stock, and it got me through a few months from it's profit's Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

To ALL X1 users ...

I almost fell into the 'hype' of all X1 'bells & whistles" ... but I had only 1 priority .. EXTENDED STORAGE capability. When I inquired about this capability (2015)... I was told " ... not with X1 .. ".

I stayed with NON-X1 DVRs and have 1 TB extended storage boxes attached to each of my DVRs (500 K.   If you can live without  X1 'goodies' .... swap your DVRs to non-X1 and attach MYBOOK extended storage boxes ... I've been using this for 3-4 yrs on 2 dvrs.

Frequent Visitor

Think they will let me go back to old stylre DVR? I actually liked it better. The X1 lure was "unlimited storage" , surprise, Comcast lied....Hmmm

Frequent Visitor

If you request the dcx3501/M box (eSata connection) and tell them that is only way you're staying with Comcast, they will find the correct boxes ... probably cheaper than X1.

Official Employee

That's correct. You should be allowed to switch to a hard drive compatible box, but it would have to be through the store as we can't guarantee models here online or over the phone.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

When you say "the store" do you mean a Comxast Service Center? Or does comcast have an online store. It seems like the larger compression is helping, but I really need extra storage when i try to record a baseball and football game in HD. That is like 7 hours of HD recording. I always record them and start watching about an hour in to avoid the marathon commercial breaks. I only watch TV via DVR, both for my own work schedule, and good old convience. I remeber when there were much less commercials, now it is utterly ridiculous hoe the do it. So please point me in the right direction so I can get extra storage via Comcast, not the $1100 TiVo option, something a regular poor older guy can afford Smiley Happy

Official Employee

Hey LarryT57,

I guess I could have been more specific huh? Lol. I apologize. Yes, your local Comcast Service Center. I can try to check for the inventory available in your area if you'd like. If so, send me a private message verifying the first and last name of the account holder, and the street address or full account number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation