Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

HD channels are playing jerky/un-smooth

Frequent Visitor

HD channels are playing jerky/un-smooth

I just got the 65" Sony Bravia XBR65X900E tv, which is a 4K ultra hi def tv. It replaced a 20 year old tv, so I never watched hi-def channels before, and I have NO technical knowledge about such things. I have the ComCast hi-def box however, and am using an HDMI cable. Everything was set up by the Best Buy Geek Squad people, and they seemed to know what they were doing. However, I see that none of the regular channels seem to play clearly now. They are stretched (which can be corrected with an aspect setting on the tv), and are also coming through now as less sharp. Some of the hd channels look great, like sports and news channels (but commercials on those channels do not play well). Most other hd channels are what I would describe as overly digitized. Turner Classic Movies is my favorite channel, but the hd channel plays in a overly enhanced, jerky kind of way. There is no smooth motion. Any scenes with faster motion, like running or quicker camera pans are almost nausiating to watch. I've even had family members tell me they feel like they have motion sickness after watching for a few minutes. So, somthing is just out of sync. I don't know what the problem can be. The tv people have told me that it is a signal issue from the provider (Comcast). The tv plays dvd's just fine, along with YouTube, etc. Can anyone help me on this? I don't know what the actual difference is between regular channels and hd channels, but if this is a Comcast signal issue, I will be forced to switch away, which I would rather not do. Thanks!

Marc

Problem Solver

Re: HD channels are playing jerky/un-smooth

It could be comcast brodcasts 1080p channels in 720p 60 FPS

so when a tv like yours that is big broadcasts a 1080p signal from that channel comcasts down rezs the signal to that format causing the channel to look fuzzy on bigger tvs

on my set I have a smaller tv and don't noticed but I can imagine and people have said on bigger tvs comcast signals looks fuzzy

so I'm assuming it isn't a signal problem just comcast downgrading the 1080p signal on HD channels to 720p 60 FPS in MPEG 4.

Frequent Visitor

I just read a number of threads that seem to suggest the same general problem, namely that ComCast has been in the process of downgrading all 1080p signals to 720p. I am technically VERY challenged, so I understand very little of this. However, there appears to be a way to reconfigure the settings in the cable box to display the channels better. I really need to have a ComCast technician reply here if possible. I need a step by step walk through of how to get my brand new tv to show the channels properly. Can someone at ComCast please help me! Virtually all my hd channels are jerky. Thank you!

Problem Solver

Try going into your tv settings for motion control. Then try the different setting such as clear or smooth. I think most of your picture problems are the settings on your tv. Your can find suggestions on settings for the best picture on your tv on the internet in places such as AVS Forum. 🙂

Frequent Visitor

ComCast is sending me a new box, which I hope solves the problem. However, the box was working fine for years with a different tv. Does anyone on here have my same new tv - Sony Bravia 65" 4K, model # XBR65X900E?

Frequent Visitor

What do you recommend for the 4:3 override setting? A lot of the channels, especially the SD channels, are only small rectangles in the center of the screen. I tried all of the aspect settings on the tv itself, and all they do is distort the image. I need it larger. I don't mind having black in the sides, but to have it on the top and bottom too is ridiculous. I need to technical how-to here please! Also, the exit-exit-exit 1080 just changes the channel. How do I get that to work? The Comcast tech guy told me that would force the signal to output as 1080, but it does not work.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation