Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

HBO content blocked on HBO Go AND the Xfinity App

Regular Visitor

HBO content blocked on HBO Go AND the Xfinity App

I'm an Xfinity HBO subscriber and all summer I used the HBO Go app on my iPad 1 and iPhone 4G. I hadn't used it in a couple of months,  and last night when I attempted to login got an error message that I had to be an HBO subscriber, and I needed to "upgrade" to use the app. I was then kicked to the comcast site. 

I had the same problem when I tried to acces HBO content through the (safari) browser on my computer.

I did some searching, found that I am far from the only person who's having this problem, but there doesn't seem to be anything being done about it, and, often, it's being called a "third party problem," since it's HBO's app, and the Xfinity app is being touted for use instead.

That's fine, but when I tried to access HBO content through the Xfinity app, it was also locked and said that I had to be a subscriber to view it. I have repeatedly checked my account to make sure that I haven't somehow been getting HBO for free for the past nearly 10 years, and everything is up to date.

Is anyone else being completely shut out like this?

The only possible explanation I can find, and it's as much of a long-shot as it is annoying, is that I'm using an HD Tivo with a comcast cable card instead of their set-top box. Otherwise, I have everything else I should need. And if that IS the reason, it doesn't explain why I was able to watch everything I wanted to in

August, but can't now.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: HBO content blocked on HBO Go AND the Xfinity App

the problem is most likely a coding issue with your account at comcast.  Have you upgraded or gone into any new promotions or anything with your account since the last time it worked?  Can you watch other things with the xfinity tv app or on your pc that are not hbo?  you need to call comast and have them verify that the hbo codes that state you are a subscriber are on your account as that's what happens when you try to login its a verification process.   Remember when you search for a problem only others that have the problem will post, people who don't have issues don't come on and say wow this works great.  Smiley Happy

Official Employee

Tomdeja wrote:

I'm an Xfinity HBO subscriber and all summer I used the HBO Go app on my iPad 1 and iPhone 4G. I hadn't used it in a couple of months,  and last night when I attempted to login got an error message that I had to be an HBO subscriber, and I needed to "upgrade" to use the app. I was then kicked to the comcast site. 

I had the same problem when I tried to acces HBO content through the (safari) browser on my computer.

I did some searching, found that I am far from the only person who's having this problem, but there doesn't seem to be anything being done about it, and, often, it's being called a "third party problem," since it's HBO's app, and the Xfinity app is being touted for use instead.

That's fine, but when I tried to access HBO content through the Xfinity app, it was also locked and said that I had to be a subscriber to view it. I have repeatedly checked my account to make sure that I haven't somehow been getting HBO for free for the past nearly 10 years, and everything is up to date.

Is anyone else being completely shut out like this?

The only possible explanation I can find, and it's as much of a long-shot as it is annoying, is that I'm using an HD Tivo with a comcast cable card instead of their set-top box. Otherwise, I have everything else I should need. And if that IS the reason, it doesn't explain why I was able to watch everything I wanted to in

August, but can't now.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Make sure you have the most up to date version of the App installed.

Once updated, try playing videos again and see if it works.

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Hi Joe,

Both my HBO Go and Xfinity apps are up to date, and I've also restarted my iPhone, iPad, and computer to see if that was the trouble. All to no avail.

I was just able to watch BBCAMerica content via the Xfinity app, but tried to get TNT (which is also available with my cable package), but it was similarly locked.

I haven't changed my account since the summer of 2010 when I upgraded to HD, so I doubt that's the problem. 

To be honest, I've put off calling Comcast in favor of doing this online because of previous bad experiences with customer service calls. If that's what I need to ultimately do, that's what I'll do...and I'll try to remain hopeful that I won't get the same stonewalling I have in the past.

Regular Visitor

As an update, I've deleted and re-installed both apps, but I'm still having the same problem.
New Poster

Same problem here. Tried to call support. 20 minute phone wait. Elected the callback service. No callback in several hours. This worked a couple months ago. Is it because I use a Tivo? Seems like they turned it off. Really annoying. How do I get help if no one calls back and hold times are unreasonable?
Official Employee

Hi all,

We also had some issues with orange keys appearing when they should not be. This issue should now be resolved. Please try again and let me know if orange keys are still appearing.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Hi, Joe, I just signed out of everything and restarted my iPad, and I'm still having the exact same problem. HBO Go doesn't allow content at all. And most content on the Xfinity app is blocked ( and accompanied by an orange key). In both cases I was told that I didn't have the channels in my package, and was kicked to the Comcast home page. I realize that this isn't your doing or responsibility, but I'm getting incredibly frustrated. Especially given that they both worked as they were supposed to just months ago.
New Poster

Still not working. Orange upgrade now button. What shoul I do now?
New Poster

Called to customer service. They fixed it in two minutes.
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation