Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Google Chrome causes blue screen when playing Xfinity TV on PC.

Contributor

Google Chrome causes blue screen when playing Xfinity TV on PC.

My PC meets all the minimum requirements as posted.  I have the latest driver for my video card.  Running XP SP3, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2MB Memory, 1920 X 1080 resolution.  Trying to watch Xfinity TV on this computer.  Worked fine under Internet Explorer 8.  Had to go to Google Chrome to work with a different site.  Thought I'd stay with Chrome, but every time I start an  Xfinity TV video I get the blue screen telling me that Windows had to shut down to protect the PC.  Says nv4_disp.dll was the problem.  I know that is an Nvidia driver but I have the latest drivers installed.  I switch back to IE8 and the videos run fine.

What is wrong with Chrome trying to run Xfinity TV?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Google Chrome causes blue screen when playing Xfinity TV on PC.

well windows told you, you have  damaged dll in your video driver, even though its the latest does not mean it did not install correctly.  Have you done a search for the .dll and deleted it and then restart your computer to have it replaced?    Also why dont you just use ie8 for watching videos and chrome for other things, you can have and use as many different browsers as you wish. 

Contributor

Chrome 27 beta?  I had to go back to Chrome 26 stable because playing any flash video would cause a "hardware malfunction" bluescreen for me with 27.

Contributor

I didn't want to have to switch back and forth between 2 different browsers.  I think that is foolish.  One thing I did try was to uninstall the Nvidia drivers, restart the PC and let Windows setup the video card.  After that the Xfinity TV videos ran fine.  I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers again and still had the same problem.  Blue Screen.  All other videos run fine except for Xfinity TV.

Contributor

No it is 26.  I only get the blue screen trying to run Xfinity TV.  All other videos run fine.  I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers and restarted the PC.  Let Windows set up the video card.  Xfinity ran fine.  Reinstalled the Nvidia drivers, blue screen.

Contributor

Usually then it is an nvidia driver problem.  (In my case with Chrome 27 beta, I was actually running into a problem with a timing of new RAM.)   So the only hope would be the next nvidia driver (beta or whql), or disabling hardware acceleration in the flash player.  To do that, you used to be able to right-click on a flash and find that setting in Settings, but it seems to have been removed (at least in Chrome 26+).  You can now try enabling the "Disable hardware-accelerated video decode." setting in chrome://flags

Contributor

Thanks but no go.  Still same problem.  Has to be Nvidia.  When I uninstall and let Windows set up the video drivers it works.  Looks crappy though.  Wish there was a work around.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation