Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

FEATURE REQUEST - Vertical ZOOM - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEAS, PLEASE.

Frequent Visitor

FEATURE REQUEST - Vertical ZOOM - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEAS, PLEASE.

On my previous SA HD-DVR box, the Zoom button on the remote correctly did a VERTICAL zoom to watch downscaled 16:9 HD channels in SD format. The X1 HD-DVR box/remote seems to have eliminated ANY zoom feature. In the Orlando market, I'm only getting one (1) each of HBO and Showtime main channels in HD, and the rest five or six channels in low def SD. The real BIG problem is that I'm paying for two premium (HD) movie channel packages, but the additional extra (downscaled 16:9 HD) channels in SD are NOT scaled correctly in its correct 16:9 aspect ratio, which leaves these premimum SD channels  UNWATCHABLE, because your head end doesn't turn on the correct aspect ratio bit to force the picture to be full screen after the HD/SD conversion..

Why hasn't this Vertical Zoom feature been implemented? I beg you PLEASE (Comcast/Xfinity) to fix/add this feature to either use one of the A/B/C/D buttons on the remote for the Vertical Zoom, or have your engineers simply force the vertical zoom bit on converted HD to SD data stream on these premium channels (or really any channel that is received by you in HD, but downscaled to SD, which is probably 99% of them).

I really don't think this is too much to ask for your X1 customers.

Thanks,

Bill

Service Expert

Re: FEATURE REQUEST - Vertical ZOOM - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEAS, PLEASE.

billw6560 wrote:

On my previous SA HD-DVR box, the Zoom button on the remote correctly did a VERTICAL zoom to watch downscaled 16:9 HD channels in SD format. The X1 HD-DVR box/remote seems to have eliminated ANY zoom feature. In the Orlando market, I'm only getting one (1) each of HBO and Showtime main channels in HD, and the rest five or six channels in low def SD. The real BIG problem is that I'm paying for two premium (HD) movie channel packages, but the additional extra (downscaled 16:9 HD) channels in SD are NOT scaled correctly in its correct 16:9 aspect ratio, which leaves these premimum SD channels  UNWATCHABLE, because your head end doesn't turn on the correct aspect ratio bit to force the picture to be full screen after the HD/SD conversion..

Why hasn't this Vertical Zoom feature been implemented? I beg you PLEASE (Comcast/Xfinity) to fix/add this feature to either use one of the A/B/C/D buttons on the remote for the Vertical Zoom, or have your engineers simply force the vertical zoom bit on converted HD to SD data stream on these premium channels (or really any channel that is received by you in HD, but downscaled to SD, which is probably 99% of them).

I really don't think this is too much to ask for your X1 customers.

Thanks,

Bill

using your X1 remote, press the Xfinity button > gear(settings) > device settings > video display > zoom and change from Off to On.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

I've got the same problem, which seems to have arrived along with the new Starz and Cinemax channels.  With the zoom off, these channels have correct aspect ratio, but are smaller, with letterbox on all four sides.  With zoom on, they stretch to fit horizontally but not vertically.  The other HD channels look fine, but several of these premium movie channels don't.

Service Expert

Tom_Milner wrote:

I've got the same problem, which seems to have arrived along with the new Starz and Cinemax channels.  With the zoom off, these channels have correct aspect ratio, but are smaller, with letterbox on all four sides.  With zoom on, they stretch to fit horizontally but not vertically.  The other HD channels look fine, but several of these premium movie channels don't.

short answer, turn on zoom. longer answer, note the placement of the 'channel' icon. if it is within the 'postage stamp' area, the channel is formatted with AFD (fills most of the HD 16:9 screen even though in SD) but Comcast is not passing that flag through to your TV. To see AFD in action watch MeTV, AntennaTV, Movies! and other local channels that have the flag on and Comcast retransmits the AFD. The effect is a 'designed' either full screen like your example or a 14:9 that nearly fills a 16:9 with small left and right borders. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

So, why can't they set the Vertical Zoom flag ON. It not like the (HD) source material received via satellite and down converted to SD will ever change. Better yet, just give us the Vertical Zoom button back.

Frequent Visitor

Better yet how about not down converting to SD at all, every channel that can be HD should be. Comcast is the biggest cable company in the country and thier hd lineup is the worst!

Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately for us in East Orlando, I've live here in the same home for almost 20 years. Our HOA had a bulk agreement contract with Adelphia to supply basic cable for about 1,400 homes, so there was existing trunk cabling in place in most of our subdivision. In those early days, Adelphia was an analog system that wasn't that robust, as compared to what was then Time Warner, which was all around us, but not in our subdivision. In any case, Comcast eventually too over Adelphia's assets, but there was no infrastructure improvements. At one point, we went all digital, but with our aging backbone, we were stuck with only one (1) HD premium movie channel for HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and Starz. We were also provided with other "premium" movie channels, but all were in SD (but received in HD and downconverted), although TW and then Uverse were offering ALL their premium channels in HD. Again, because of the bulk agreement we had with Comcast, there were no improvements, and no incentive to change it. Then came digital fiber and X1 this year. We were ALL hoping that we'd emerge out of the dark ages and have a proper HD lineup offering, but needless to say, no. we're 100% fiber, the old backbone is now dead, but the same general lineup, and no change in HD offerings, especially with the premium movie channels. I guess it all comes down to bandwidth, which we seem to have. Our internet speed are upwards of 90+ mbps (was in the 25-30 range). So as Barney mentioned, there isn't any reason Comcast can't offer all HD.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation