Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Error code 6003 for Silverlight

Frequent Visitor

Error code 6003 for Silverlight

I called Comcast three months ago about this issue that MS Silverlight has an issue with view playback, I have followed the instructions to repair several times, as well as uninstalled MS Silverlight and reinstalled also on several times, nothing has worked. I get this error message every time I try to view any program that uses Silverlight as a play back mode.

We I talked to Comcast tech they said that they are working on it but it is now three months later and still no fix.

When will the problem be resolved?

They told me that they would call me when they had an answer and no one has called back as of today!!

I have Comcast triple play but I had not been able to use the ON Demand on my computer since February, I'm getting to the point that when my renewal time comes up I will be looking elsewhere, unless they fix this soon!!!!!!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Error code 6003 for Silverlight

Comast joe will be back monday but in the meantime try this.  There are also many posts about that error on this thread if you look at them there are multiple things you can try.

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Also, please send the URLs of the videos that you are trying to watch.

Frequent Visitor

I have the exact same issue - here's my information:

My Device Information
My Zip Code:19103My Cable Provider:Comcast Philadelphia Area 1 DigitalMy myDVR Manager Status:UnknownMy Set Top Box Names:UnknownMy Queue setup:FalseFacebook Queue Syncing:falseFacebook Connect:FalseMy public IP address:24.6.188.97My operating system:Windows - Windows NT 6.1My web browser:Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; Creative AutoUpdate v1.40.04)My system type:Desktop computer or other deviceMy Move player version:Not InstalledMy Silverlight version:5.1.10411.0My flash version:11.2 r202Javascript:enabled Cookies:enabled

Official Employee

bikerdude222 wrote:

I have the exact same issue - here's my information:

My Device Information
My Zip Code:19103My Cable Provider:Comcast Philadelphia Area 1 DigitalMy myDVR Manager Status:UnknownMy Set Top Box Names:UnknownMy Queue setup:FalseFacebook Queue Syncing:falseFacebook Connect:FalseMy public IP address:24.6.188.97My operating system:Windows - Windows NT 6.1My web browser:Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; Creative AutoUpdate v1.40.04)My system type:Desktop computer or other deviceMy Move player version:Not InstalledMy Silverlight version:5.1.10411.0My flash version:11.2 r202Javascript:enabled Cookies:enabled

Try updating to Silverlight 5 by downloading it here.

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the info, here we are so far, I have deleted MS Silverlight several times and closed all browers before I uploaded the latest version, then I opened a new browser and tried loading an On demand movie, and of course got the error code 6003 again.

Then deleted Silverlight again, restarted my system, installed latest version again, tried to view on demand movie and again same error code. Followed the instructions again on how to fix error, by going into Silverlight properties, playback tab, enable updates etc and no help, so I disebled updates and just checked enable hardware updated, and this time NO error code and I got to the starting playback screen first time in months, but it just cranked away, with no playback for 20 min. tried several more times same results.

Then I went back and enabled updates again and again I got the same error code again.

So I'm back at the same place, can't view any On Demand internet that loads on Silverlight!!!

Any other ideas out there.

I guess I'm going to call Comcast support again, but not much hope.

Frequent Visitor

I installed Silverlight 5 and the problem is still there. Here's the error message I received when trying to play a video via Xfinity:

This video cannot be played.

We notice you do not have DRM support enabled for Microsoft Silverlight  (Error 6003).

For instructions on how to fix your problem click below.

Please advise..

Official Employee

Dapaperguy wrote:

Thanks for the info, here we are so far, I have deleted MS Silverlight several times and closed all browers before I uploaded the latest version, then I opened a new browser and tried loading an On demand movie, and of course got the error code 6003 again.

Then deleted Silverlight again, restarted my system, installed latest version again, tried to view on demand movie and again same error code. Followed the instructions again on how to fix error, by going into Silverlight properties, playback tab, enable updates etc and no help, so I disebled updates and just checked enable hardware updated, and this time NO error code and I got to the starting playback screen first time in months, but it just cranked away, with no playback for 20 min. tried several more times same results.

Then I went back and enabled updates again and again I got the same error code again.

So I'm back at the same place, can't view any On Demand internet that loads on Silverlight!!!

Any other ideas out there.

I guess I'm going to call Comcast support again, but not much hope.

What do you mean when you say "it just cranked away"? If the screen is all black, it may be a anti-virus software blocking videos from playing.

Try using a different web browser and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I installed Chrome tonight and it does work - the difference from my default browser (IE-9) is that Chrome uses Adobe flash for all Xfinity video playback. IE-9 fails only when Silverlight is used.

Thanks

Bikerdude2222

Frequent Visitor

Thank you, I just tried Crome as my browser, and so far no luck. Shows that I could not view using IE9 still don't play back. I get to a screen that says Xfinity starting playback with the little dots going left to right and I wait and wait and no playback. I checked other on demand programs that I know use Flash drive and they start up right away just like with IE9. So Crome has not helped, I still have the same problem, just that now I don't get the error code 6003, unless I check the Silverlight Playback tab and check the enable updates box, then I get the same error code on both browers. 

Official Employee

bikerdude222 & Dapaperguy,

Do you two have anti-virus software installed? If so, make sure that you are allowing xfinitytv.com and Silverlight to pass through your firewall.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you, I have Norton 360 thru Comcast, opened the settings in the firewall, but I can't figure out which one is set to allow or block for Silverlight & Xfinity.

By the way, back in January when I got this computer I downloaded the Norton 360 and have not changed the settings after I set it up and at that time I was able to get the ON Demand programming with no problems. This issue did not start until some time in February a good month later. And the reason I changed computers was that my old machine didn't have enough processor speed and memory to run Adobe Flash drive 11.2, so I upgraded.

Frequent Visitor

I use Microsoft Security Essentials for anti-virus software - there are no configurable firewall settings.

Also I did verify that content that uses Silverlight fails in Chrome as well as IE-9 - same error message.

Official Employee

bikerdude222 wrote:

I use Microsoft Security Essentials for anti-virus software - there are no configurable firewall settings.

Also I did verify that content that uses Silverlight fails in Chrome as well as IE-9 - same error message.

Try resetting your IE9 settings and then try again. To reset your settings:

1.    Open Internet Explorer.

2.    Click Tools > Internet Options.

3.    Click the Advanced tab.

4.    Under Reset Internet Explorer Settings, click Reset.

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, I  reset IE9 and reinstalled Silverlight, no change still getting error code 6003, I even called customer service yesterday and they reset my modem and asked me to wait 24 hours before trying ON Demand and with this IE9 reset when I tried  it was 24 hours. So that didn't help either.

What now!

Paying for a service that I have not been able to use for now going on 4 months!!!

Official Employee

Dapaperguy wrote:

Thanks, I  reset IE9 and reinstalled Silverlight, no change still getting error code 6003, I even called customer service yesterday and they reset my modem and asked me to wait 24 hours before trying ON Demand and with this IE9 reset when I tried  it was 24 hours. So that didn't help either.

What now!

Paying for a service that I have not been able to use for now going on 4 months!!!

Try this:

After loading the page to watch a video, right click the video box, then click Silverlight Preferences. On the Playback tab ensure that the “Enable download...” option is selected. On the Application Storage tab, click Delete all to clear any cached files.

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you, first I tried opening an ON Demand movie then before error code 6003 showed up tried to right click to see if it showed the Silverlight box but the error box open and I could not got to Silverlight. I then Deleted Silverlight, and opened my browser went to ON Demand and tried again and was asked to install Silverlight again so after it loaded I opened the playback tab checked enable downloads then openedthe storage tab and clicked the delete cached files, there where only four files that I saw.

I then opened IE9 browser and went to Xfintiy ON Demand, tried starting a new movie, and then got my old friend the error code 6003. Now What?

By the way I have HBO so I can go to HBOGO.com and load those movies and shows there no problem is it just Xfinity On Demand? Or does HBOGO.com load video in a different format?

Frequent Visitor

Right clicking on Silverlight did not bring up a preferences box. Still nogo on all Silverlight content from both browsers.

Official Employee

bikerdude222 wrote:

Right clicking on Silverlight did not bring up a preferences box. Still nogo on all Silverlight content from both browsers.

I want you guys to try an even older version of Silverlight (version 4). Completely uninstall Silverlight from your computer and then try installing Silverlight from here.

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry no help. Deleted Silverlight completely, restarted my system to make sure, checked files, then installed Silverlight 4, by the way that was the program I had when this started. Tried to view ON Demand shown, but here it was again Error Code 6003, went back and unchecked enable downloads and updates, tried again to view show, no error code but got as far as Xfinity starting playback, and then nothing all I get is that screen no playback, went back and checked the box again, and the error code came back.

New Poster

Same here. Worked fine about 6 months ago. works fine on my macbook. which is a shame because i built an Htpc basically so i didn't have to use my laptop.  windows 7. atom. nvidia ion 2. tried chrome and firefox.

Frequent Visitor

I am now getting a new message when trying to get On Demand program, See below:

Xfinity Video Player Upgrade

Upgrade your Xfinity Player!

In order to watch On Demand Online videos with "HD-Like" picture quality, you need to install the new Xfinity Player

We're sorry, but for watching On Demand Online videos the following browsers are NOT officially supported at this time:

• Windows XP: Safari 3/4
  • Windows Vista:  IE 6, Safari 3/4
  • Windows 7:  IE 6/7, Safari 3/4
  • Mac OS 10.4.11+:  IE 6/7/8, Chrome 4

I have Windows 7: with IE9 as my browser, I have also tried Chrome 12, Firefox 5, and Opera browsers, Dedealted Silverlight and installed latest version 5, several times. I don't have any of the Browsers listed on the message.

So  How do I upgrade Xfinity Player???

If this is really how to fix this problem!!!

I also talked to tech support they said they would call me in 24-72 hours to take over my system and try to repair, that was on Friday so far no call and no repair.

What should I do now.

Also I checked my new laptop that I installed three weeks ago with windows 7, IE9, the same Norton 360, and it works fine. No problem with any On Demand video programs.

This is great but I would rather watch video on my desk top with a larger screen.

Help please!!!

Official Employee

Dapaperguy wrote:

I am now getting a new message when trying to get On Demand program, See below:

In order to watch On Demand Online videos with "HD-Like" picture quality, you need to install the new Xfinity Player

We're sorry, but for watching On Demand Online videos the following browsers are NOT officially supported at this time:

I have Windows 7: with IE9 as my browser, I have also tried Chrome 12, Firefox 5, and Opera browsers, Dedealted Silverlight and installed latest version 5, several times. I don't have any of the Browsers listed on the message.

So  How do I upgrade Xfinity Player???

If this is really how to fix this problem!!!

I also talked to tech support they said they would call me in 24-72 hours to take over my system and try to repair, that was on Friday so far no call and no repair.

What should I do now.

Also I checked my new laptop that I installed three weeks ago with windows 7, IE9, the same Norton 360, and it works fine. No problem with any On Demand video programs.

This is great but I would rather watch video on my desk top with a larger screen.

Help please!!!

What have you changed since 5/18 and now? There has to be a reason why you are now getting this error message. If you get this message again, can you please go to xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so I can compare the two.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Just added Crome, Firefox and Opera browsers, deleted Sliverlight and re-installed. I can not get this message to pop up again, back to error code 6003. I also talked to customer service and was told that someone would call back to get access to my system to see if they could fix. That was on Friday, so far no call.

Frequent Visitor

Hi - not sure of your computer configuration - did not locate this info in the thread.

You did mention that you have Norton - so I will assume Windows.

Have you tried the following (Unfortunately this issue can be challenging for other sites that rely on MS Silverlight - so other possible remedies might have been observed):

Reset Silverlight temporary file.

NOTE: Resetting the Silverlight file may cause other licensed Silverlight content, or licensed content obtained through Windows Media Center, to become unusable.

1. Quit all open browsers - including this window! You may want to print the following steps.
  2. Press and hold the Windows key and tap the letter R on the keyboard at the same time.
  3. Type %programdata% then select OK.
  4. Open the Microsoft folder.
  5. Open the PlayReady folder.
  6. Right-Click on mspr.hds and click Delete.
    • If unable to delete mspr.hds file, skip step 7.
  7. Open a web browser and try to play the title again.

Or

Run Internet Explorer as Administrator.

1. Quit all open browsers - including this window! You may want to print the following steps.
  2. Click Start then Programs.
  3. Right-click Internet Explorer (do not select the 64-bit version).
  4. Click Run as Administrator.
  5. If prompted, select Allow.
  6. Try to play the title again.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Tried you 2nd approach closed all browsers, went to start, programs, opened IE9 not Bit, clicked as run as administrator, opened Xfinity On Demand, tried to run a premium channel, and got the following message:

I am going to try your other approach next.

Frequent Visitor

Tried your 1st option, sorry no help, same message.

Official Employee

Dapaperguy wrote:

Tried your 1st option, sorry no help, same message.

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Did this ever get resolved Dapaperguy?  I am having the same issue and none of the supposed fixes work for me either.  Tried Chrome and IE 9.

Frequent Visitor

I tried the 1st fix from Staren, first made sure I had the latest version of Chrome the followed the reset for Silverlight (see his suggestion) then opened new Chrome browser and it worked!!!!! Still doesn't work on IE9 but hey better this then nothing. Good Luck.

Frequent Visitor

Hi - so happy to hear that you have it working.

So much great content to watchSmiley Happy

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I have tried everything you have suggested so please don't ask me to do it again. When will this be resolved?

Have removed and installed, everything is checked that should be checked.

Have tried it on safari and chrome same error. Ie9 gives you some BS about xfinity player upgrade.

I get error code 6003 when trying to watch movies

We notice you do not have DRM support enabled for Microsoft Silverlight (Error 6003).

My Device Information My Zip Code: Unknown My Cable Provider: Unknown My myDVR Manager Status: Unknown My Set Top Box Names: Unknown My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: False Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 76.24.130.179 My operating system: Windows - Undefined My web browser: Chrome 19 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/536.5 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Chrome/19.0.1084.52 Safari/536.5 My system type: Desktop Computer Or Other Device My Move player version: 071706000001 My Silverlight version: 5.1.10411.0 My flash version: 11.2 R202 Javascript: Enabled Cookies: Enabled

Frequent Visitor

Try this it worked for me using the latest verision of Chrome.

Reset Silverlight temporary file.

NOTE: Resetting the Silverlight file may cause other licensed Silverlight content, or licensed content obtained through Windows Media Center, to become unusable.

1. Quit all open browsers - including this window! You may want to print the following steps.
  2. Press and hold the Windows key and tap the letter R on the keyboard at the same time.
  3. Type %programdata% then select OK.
  4. Open the Microsoft folder.
  5. Open the PlayReadyfolder.
  6. Right-Click on mspr.hds and click Delete.
    • If unable to delete mspr.hds file, skip step 7.
  7. Open a web browser and try to play the title again
New Poster

I actually found this earlier but couldn't find the file. I deleted it reopened browser and now I get starting to play... and then this on several different preview of Snow White and the Huntsman

Sorry, this video is currently unavailable. (Error 6030)

Please check back soon.

New Poster

ok I tried exactly what you said deleting the file without rebooting system as you suggested. I now I am getting 6030 error message but:

I also went and confirmed my channel lineup cause I seen something about missing zip code on someone else problem, I suspect that did nothig but I did do it. I then rebooted the system and I am no longer getting error messages. So was it the reboot or the channel lineup confirmation. I know doing more than one thing is not a good troubleshooting practice but it is what it is.

Frequent Visitor

Hello - with the Silverlight plugin and many of Microsofts products - a reboot is required to re-initialize the software.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Uninstall MS Silverlight 5 and reinstall MS Silverlight 4 (last version was 4.0.60531.0).  You'll have to search the net for it but you'll find it.  Then rename the file mspr.hds to mspr.hds.old (C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/PlayReady) and it should work.  I just did it and now I'm watching Modern Family and Pawn Stars, whereas I couldn't watch anything for the past week or two.  You might even want to try keeping MS Silverlight 5 and just rename the file above and see if that works, but if it doesn't then reinstall MS Silverlight 4.

As for the comcast support reps telling people to uninstall this and reinstall that and post results and uninstall something else and reinstall something else again...  ugh!

Post if this works for you guys so others can bypass all the same suggestions that don't help.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation