Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Error 6003

Contributor

Error 6003

Was able to view xfinity media as recently as yesterday. Now I get error 6003 when trying to view media on xfinity.

I use win7, chrome (latest version), have reinstalled silverlight, enabled DRM in silverlight, deleted and re-installed Flash and Java, search cannot find mspr.hd, have rebooted several times, have tried using IE and firefox.

Still get 6003 error.

4/29/12

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Error 6003

jelendall wrote:

Was able to view xfinity media as recently as yesterday. Now I get error 6003 when trying to view media on xfinity.

I use win7, chrome (latest version), have reinstalled silverlight, enabled DRM in silverlight, deleted and re-installed Flash and Java, search cannot find mspr.hd, have rebooted several times, have tried using IE and firefox.

Still get 6003 error.

4/29/12

Usually 6003 is a Silverlight installation error. When you uninstalled and reinstalled Silverlight, did you follow the steps that are on this page? If you did not, please do because a clean uninstall removes all Silverlight files and should remove any corrupt files that are still lingering around.

Let us know the results.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Yes, As I mentioned in my orginal note, I followed all of the steps on that page under the 6003 section. That is why I requested assistance.

Silver Problem Solver

did you restart your pc in between the removal and re-install?  If not I would try again.

Contributor

Yes, Thus the words in the original request: "have rebooted several times."

Silver Problem Solver

rebooted several times does not mean you did it in between the de-install and reinstall.  People here are only trying to assist you. 

Contributor

Yes, between the uninstall and the re-install of silverlight. and the uninstall of each Java and Flash. I realize that the registry is affected by the uninstall process and subsequent re-installation. I was very careful in following troubleshooting techniques. For that reason, I felt it necessary to request help. I tried to be thorough in my initial request.

Silver Problem Solver

you can try to install ccleaner on your pc and run it.  Some people have had success with that as it takes all the old .dlls out and cleans the registry.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Also uninstall silver light and make sure this program is gone. mspr.hds file  Do a search after the uninstall for that file.  If its there delete it and reinstall silverlite

Official Employee

jelendall wrote:

Yes, between the uninstall and the re-install of silverlight. and the uninstall of each Java and Flash. I realize that the registry is affected by the uninstall process and subsequent re-installation. I was very careful in following troubleshooting techniques. For that reason, I felt it necessary to request help. I tried to be thorough in my initial request.

Have you installed any new software to your computer since videos stopped working?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

I have not. I unistalled a no longer used virus/utility package (FixIt Utilities) just prior to the problem. Other than that, no other finagling.

Contributor

I will try CCleaner. mspr.hds is not on my system, but I will try another uninstall/install of silverlight and reboot. These activities may take a while (slow reboot), so relax and have a cup of coffee and a danish.

Contributor

Per your suggestion, I used CCleaner, I rebooted, I uninstalled silverlight, rebooted. installed silverlight, made sure the drm box was checked, rebooted, ran CCleaner, rebooted, searched for mspr.hds - not there.

Attempted to view xfinity video, got 6003 error, again. Tried other xfinity videos, got 6003 error.

I was delayed in replying because when I attempted to access my email, I repeatedly got a message that comcast was unable to load my email. Again, I attempted with all three browsers (IE, chrome, firefox). Some time later, I was finally able to get to my email. Before you ask, I ran a virus check, my Norton's and CG are up-to-date.

Back to the main problem. I have followed your suggestions to the letter, but still get 6003.

Official Employee

jelendall wrote:

Per your suggestion, I used CCleaner, I rebooted, I uninstalled silverlight, rebooted. installed silverlight, made sure the drm box was checked, rebooted, ran CCleaner, rebooted, searched for mspr.hds - not there.

Attempted to view xfinity video, got 6003 error, again. Tried other xfinity videos, got 6003 error.

I was delayed in replying because when I attempted to access my email, I repeatedly got a message that comcast was unable to load my email. Again, I attempted with all three browsers (IE, chrome, firefox). Some time later, I was finally able to get to my email. Before you ask, I ran a virus check, my Norton's and CG are up-to-date.

Back to the main problem. I have followed your suggestions to the letter, but still get 6003.

What type of network are you on:

Wired or Wireless?

Home, Work, or public Wi-Fi?

Are you able to try any other computers?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

On a home wired network, wifi disabled. I am the adminstrator of the network. I hooked up a laptop to the same Cat5e line and the xfinity video worked. The laptop has nearly identical software installed and activated. So, obviously, the problem is specific to the original desktop computer. Are there dll files that specifically govern the playing of xfinity video? How would I replace them if they are corrupted or have been deleted mysteriously?

I am able to view video on Hulu, Youtube, and shows on TV network sites without a problem. Mediacenter recordings play ok. DVDs play in my DVD drive; therefore, drm support is present for all of those.

I have to leave for work; therefore, I will not be back to respond for a while. Thank you for your assistance so far.

Official Employee

jelendall wrote:

On a home wired network, wifi disabled. I am the adminstrator of the network. I hooked up a laptop to the same Cat5e line and the xfinity video worked. The laptop has nearly identical software installed and activated. So, obviously, the problem is specific to the original desktop computer. Are there dll files that specifically govern the playing of xfinity video? How would I replace them if they are corrupted or have been deleted mysteriously?

I am able to view video on Hulu, Youtube, and shows on TV network sites without a problem. Mediacenter recordings play ok. DVDs play in my DVD drive; therefore, drm support is present for all of those.

I have to leave for work; therefore, I will not be back to respond for a while. Thank you for your assistance so far.

Thank you for trying these out.

It sounds like there is something between your computer and Silverlight that is conflicting.

Can you please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

My Device Information My Zip Code: 72201 My Cable Provider: Comcast Little Rock Digital My myDVR Manager Status: Unknown My Set Top Box Names: Unknown My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: False Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 76.125.127.77 My operating system: Windows - Undefined My web browser: Chrome 18 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.168 Safari/535.19 My system type: Desktop Computer Or Other Device My Move player version: 071706000001 My Silverlight version: 5.0.61118.0 My flash version: 11.2 R202 Javascript: Enabled Cookies: Enabled

Official Employee

jelendall wrote:

My Device Information My Zip Code: 72201 My Cable Provider: Comcast Little Rock Digital My myDVR Manager Status: Unknown My Set Top Box Names: Unknown My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: False Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 76.125.127.77 My operating system: Windows - Undefined My web browser: Chrome 18 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.168 Safari/535.19 My system type: Desktop Computer Or Other Device My Move player version: 071706000001 My Silverlight version: 5.0.61118.0 My flash version: 11.2 R202 Javascript: Enabled Cookies: Enabled

You said that you uninstalled an older anti-virus software. Are you currently using any anti-virus software? 

Also, is your laptop also a Windows 7 machine running Chrome 18?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

The software versions of chrome and windows are identical on the laptop and desktop. And IE and Firefox got the same error.

Both machines are running comcast's CG and Norton's with the same components activated. No other antivirus programs in place. In fact, on a whim, I disabled Norton's earlier today and still got the 6003 error when trying to view xfinity videos. The CG and Norton's are back in place.

Official Employee

jelendall wrote:

The software versions of chrome and windows are identical on the laptop and desktop. And IE and Firefox got the same error.

Both machines are running comcast's CG and Norton's with the same components activated. No other antivirus programs in place. In fact, on a whim, I disabled Norton's earlier today and still got the 6003 error when trying to view xfinity videos. The CG and Norton's are back in place.

Check your firewall settings and make sure that it is allowing Xfinitytv.com and Xfinity.com to pass through the firewall.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

I wandered around the Norton firewall settings trying to find the permissions for xfinity.com and xfinitytv.com, or any reference at all. I must be experiencing a brainfart, because my brain's firewall is preventing me from remembering how to verify that it is allowing Xfinitytv.com and Xfinity.com to pass through the firewall. I have used Norton's for nigh on 20 years.

Official Employee

jelendall wrote:

I wandered around the Norton firewall settings trying to find the permissions for xfinity.com and xfinitytv.com, or any reference at all. I must be experiencing a brainfart, because my brain's firewall is preventing me from remembering how to verify that it is allowing Xfinitytv.com and Xfinity.com to pass through the firewall. I have used Norton's for nigh on 20 years.

Actually, before that, go to the Start > Control Panel > Security > Windows Firewall.

Click the Exceptions tab and add xfinitytv.com and xfinity.com and then try playing videos. If they still do not work, we will deeper look into your Constant Guard settings.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

I'm still befuddled. When I went into the control panel>security>firewall, there was no tab for exceptions. Instead, there was a notice that firewall settings are being handled by vendor Norton 360, which is why I attempted to slog through Norton in the first place. I even temporarily turned off the Norton firewall and was unable to modify the windows firewall.

In the meantime, I uninstalled chrome and reinstalled it. A lot of work to reset bookmarks, passwords, etc.. No improvement.

Official Employee

jelendall wrote:

I'm still befuddled. When I went into the control panel>security>firewall, there was no tab for exceptions. Instead, there was a notice that firewall settings are being handled by vendor Norton 360, which is why I attempted to slog through Norton in the first place. I even temporarily turned off the Norton firewall and was unable to modify the windows firewall.

In the meantime, I uninstalled chrome and reinstalled it. A lot of work to reset bookmarks, passwords, etc.. No improvement.

Do you have any Norton plug-ins or add-ons installed in these browsers? If so, please disable them and try again.

Are you using the most up to date version of Norton on your computer?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

The Norton version comes with the Comcast CG and cannot be updated without purchasing it separately. If the problem is with Comcast's version of Norton's, it seems that the cost of correcting the problem should be Comcast's, not mine.

The Norton's has no add-ins or plug-ins and I disabled my browser's add-ins, plug-ins, and extensions. The problem persists.

I have also hard reset my broadband modem and router, even though another computer, a laptop, works perfectly on the same port. I use my laptop for work and having to use it for my home media center instead of using the desktop is not an option.

I am running out of possible options.

As I asked before, are there any DLLs, components, or other files that are specific to running Comcast video and Silverlight and DRM support, that when missing or corrupted could initiate a 6003 error?

Contributor

My last message was on May 2, 2012. I waited a week in case you were actually working on the problem. You still have not replied to my post of that day.  But it seems you've decided to pretend that you've fixed it.

I still get a 6003 error when I try to play Xfinity videos. I've wasted hours following all of your instructions to no avail.

Official Employee

jelendall wrote:

My last message was on May 2, 2012. I waited a week in case you were actually working on the problem. You still have not replied to my post of that day.  But it seems you've decided to pretend that you've fixed it.

I still get a 6003 error when I try to play Xfinity videos. I've wasted hours following all of your instructions to no avail.

Completely uninstall Silverlight 5 from your computer. When you have done that, search your computer for any Silverlight files that still may be on your computer. If you find any, delete them.

Then, install Silverlight 4 here and try watching a video that has been giving you an error message.

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

I did all of that 16 posts ago, twice! I uninstalled and reinstalled Silverlight, my browser, Java, Quicktime. I deleted all Silverlight files after twice removing and reinstalling Silverlight. I sent my computer information. I have hard reset both my computer and my modem. I tried using two other browsers (firefox and IE) and still got a 6003 error. I disabled my security program and it made no difference.

In other words, I did everything that you suggested over the course of my discussion with you and more. And now you are going to instruct me to repeat the same processes all over again? Are you not reading the series of responses in my thread?

You never did answer one of my initial questions: Are there specific files (such as DLL) that must be present for DRM-protected videos to play?

Official Employee

jelendall wrote:

I did all of that 16 posts ago, twice! I uninstalled and reinstalled Silverlight, my browser, Java, Quicktime. I deleted all Silverlight files after twice removing and reinstalling Silverlight. I sent my computer information. I have hard reset both my computer and my modem. I tried using two other browsers (firefox and IE) and still got a 6003 error. I disabled my security program and it made no difference.

In other words, I did everything that you suggested over the course of my discussion with you and more. And now you are going to instruct me to repeat the same processes all over again? Are you not reading the series of responses in my thread?

You never did answer one of my initial questions: Are there specific files (such as DLL) that must be present for DRM-protected videos to play?

The issue may be with the newest version of Silverlight (version 5) and I wanted you to try an older version of Silverlight.

No specific files need to be on your computer for DRM.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

The link you provided downloaded version 5 of silverlight, NOT version 4. And I experienced the same problems.

Official Employee

jelendall wrote:

The link you provided downloaded version 5 of silverlight, NOT version 4. And I experienced the same problems.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I have edited the post and it now will take you to version 4.

Sorry,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

When I attempted to run xfinity videos with version 4 installed, I would get the start playing screen for several minutes until it would crash with an "application not responding" error screen.

Official Employee

jelendall wrote:

When I attempted to run xfinity videos with version 4 installed, I would get the start playing screen for several minutes until it would crash with an "application not responding" error screen.

Try using a different web browser and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

Chrome gives the "application not responding."  Firefox insists the update before proceeding. IE just stops responding.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation