Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

DVR replaced, can't record from xfinity app or computer

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

DVR replaced, can't record from xfinity app or computer

My DVR failed, and was replaced today by Comcast with a new Motorola DXC3400. The xfinity app sees the new DVR, and can change channels, but the program guide does not present "record" buttons. 

On my computer, it just says "syncing with DVR" when I try to use DVR manager. 

Accepted Solution

Re: DVR replaced, can't record from xfinity app or computer - Me, too!

I got it fixed!  

for future reference, here's how to fix this problem - it's actually really easy!

1) Call the Office of the President of Comcast

2) Explain that their technical support system is completely broken and they can't solve simple issues.

3) Tell them you are canceling your service because of being lied to by incompetent customer service and tech support people, not getting called back when promised.

4) They will arrange someone who actually knows something to call you immediately, and does.

5) That person will look at your account for less than a minute and see that the idiots set up your DVR wrong on their server

6) That person will correct the error and tell you to power cycle your DVR

7) Everything will then work correctly. 

Total elapsed time: 1 week of talking to clueless customer support and tech support people, 2 minutes of talking to presidents office, and 2 minutes for actual fix. 

Oh yeah:

8) Switch to Verizon anyway to avoid this sort of problem again. 

View answer in context
Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR replaced, can't record from xfinity app or computer

it takes a few days for the new dvr to show up on your account.  Give it a few days.  if its not working monday then report back.

Frequent Visitor

It's still not working. I used the online chat support last night, and they reset everything, but it didn't help.

Hello Verizon FIOS!!!!

Official Employee

cranrob wrote:

It's still not working. I used the online chat support last night, and they reset everything, but it didn't help.

Hello Verizon FIOS!!!!

Our team is looking into your issue now. Someone will contact via phone within the next 72 hours. If they do not reach you, they will leave a message so please check your messages.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

It's been 72 hours. As usual for Comcast, there has been no call, and no messages.

Making appointment for Verizon installation now.

Great work Comcast!  You are great at selling Verizon services!

Silver Problem Solver

have you gone to your cable box and to the set up screen and looked for remote access set up?  if its there select it, see if it says its set up, if it is you can delete it and start over. 

Official Employee

cranrob wrote:

It's been 72 hours. As usual for Comcast, there has been no call, and no messages.

Making appointment for Verizon installation now.

Great work Comcast!  You are great at selling Verizon services!

I am going to have someone reach out to you shortly. 

Sorry for the delay,

Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Cancelling service now. Tired of broken promises.

Frequent Visitor

Trying to cancel service, and the "Retention" people are trying to solve my problem. They are telling me that the Xfinity TV Remote App is only for viewing sports, and I need the Xfinity TV Player App, and that DVR manager doesn't work over the Internet! 

Silver Problem Solver

they are so wrong.  I am sitting here right now with the  xfinity tv remote app and I am able to watch on demand shows see my dvr's and record from it.   are you on ios or android?

Frequent Visitor

... and they transferred me back to the Tier 1 support idiots. I can't even cancel my service without a runaround!

Silver Problem Solver

I was going to say, good luck cancelling, they make that hard.  Make sure in the app under "more" and channel line up your zip is correct and  and not the comcast recommended one. 

so when you go to the tv listings on the app and click a show you see no record button? or watch on tv? 

Just to check something, do you have access to hgogo, or the disney channel app?  do they work?  I only asks because if you are not able to login to those either then your account is messed up on comcasts end.

Frequent Visitor

Funny thing! Exactly the same thing has happened to me. I JUST got the DVR Manager ability this week here in Houston. FINALLY! I had all 4 of my DVR's up and working. The next day, one of the DVR's went out. Got a new one - insisted on the same model as the other 3 - and installed it. Within a couple of hours, I had the DVR Manager web site and app working fine. Today (the next morning) the new DVR doesn't show up on the remote app and the web site says this DVR cannot be managed. Worked yesterday! Had a long chat session with lots of dumb questions and suggestions. Finally resorted to the ultimate cure from Comcast. Reboot the DVR and it will magically begin to work in precisely 6 1/2 hours. It is at 4 hours and counting! Can't wait until 6 1/2 hours have elapsed and the thing comes to life! I just wish I could have ONE day when everything Comcast supposedly provides works 100%. They tried to sell me home security during this session! Can you believe it? Some balls! I gently informed them that I didn't feel comfortable trusting my home security to a company that can't sucessfully provide the 1970's cable terchnology they offer!

Silver Problem Solver

yea 6 hours will most likely not make any difference.  The problem is usually an issue on your account on comcasts end that they need to fix. 

Frequent Visitor

I am sure that is true, but finding someone at Comcast who might know how to fix it - or even cares enought to try - is a challenge beyond my endurance. I would rather stick needles in my eyes than call them! I guess I will have ot wait until U-verse actually makes their product work or until Verizon comes to my area. I may even build a 100 ft tower to put a sat dish on so I can get beyond the trees and have access to Dish or Direct. At least they attempt to offer new technology.

Frequent Visitor

I got it fixed!  

for future reference, here's how to fix this problem - it's actually really easy!

1) Call the Office of the President of Comcast

2) Explain that their technical support system is completely broken and they can't solve simple issues.

3) Tell them you are canceling your service because of being lied to by incompetent customer service and tech support people, not getting called back when promised.

4) They will arrange someone who actually knows something to call you immediately, and does.

5) That person will look at your account for less than a minute and see that the idiots set up your DVR wrong on their server

6) That person will correct the error and tell you to power cycle your DVR

7) Everything will then work correctly. 

Total elapsed time: 1 week of talking to clueless customer support and tech support people, 2 minutes of talking to presidents office, and 2 minutes for actual fix. 

Oh yeah:

8) Switch to Verizon anyway to avoid this sort of problem again. 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation