Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

DVR capacity?

Frequent Visitor

DVR capacity?

I exchanged our non-x1 DVR for an x1 earlier this week. After a day, including 2 football games and a handful of shows, it was 25% full. Our old DVR had literally a couple hundred of shows and movies saved and still had 20-30% free space most of the time. Is the x1 capacity really so stingy? I mean, if we go in vacation for a week, this thing won't have the capacity to record a week's worth of shows, let alone have a collection of favorite shows saved.

Service Expert

Re: DVR capacity?

nwikoff wrote:

I exchanged our non-x1 DVR for an x1 earlier this week. After a day, including 2 football games and a handful of shows, it was 25% full. Our old DVR had literally a couple hundred of shows and movies saved and still had 20-30% free space most of the time. Is the x1 capacity really so stingy? I mean, if we go in vacation for a week, this thing won't have the capacity to record a week's worth of shows, let alone have a collection of favorite shows saved.

The hard drive size is 500gb. They don't put a limit to how many files can be on there but when you get close to 90% full the scheduler will begin to look for older recordings to delete to make room for future recordings. Comcast is converting to mpeg4 recording format (for HD that are not local re-broadcast channels) and that takes much less room on the drive. Local networks require the most room. Some of us have two or three DVRs to give more room in the home to store recordings as well as increasing the size of the cloud DVR space.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Cable Expert
Moved:

Re: DVR capacity?

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation