Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

DVR Percentage and Cloud Percentage Drastically Different

Frequent Visitor

DVR Percentage and Cloud Percentage Drastically Different

Is anyone else having this problem?  I had a new X1 box put in about two weeks ago and a few days later shows started mysteriously deleting overnight.  After two nights of that, we discovered that it was because my cloud was at 99% full but my DVR box was only at 31% full.  I was told by a tier 3 tech not to worry about it...once I got all my "pre new box" shows off my recordings list, the percentages will match.  Well now I only have shows on my DVR that I've recorded since I've got the new box and my percentages are still way off.  My cloud is at 62% and my DVR is at 30%.  Today a different tier 3 tech told me it's because each customer only gets 60 hours of cloud space but the DVR boxes they put in houses can hold way more than that!  Is that right?!?!?!  How can they do that??? Why do that??? Does this make sense to anyone?  Am I missing something here?  Basically he told me I either have to always be checking my computer or app...or physically count the hours of my DVR recordings.

Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR Percentage and Cloud Percentage Drastically Different

I should have stated this in my original post...just to be clear, the list of recordings is exactly the same on both my DVR and my cloud

Official Employee

The percentages are different because the measurements are different.

Physical DVR measures space- approximately 430GB of recording space

Cloud DVR measures time- the Cloud holds the last 60 hours of recordings regardless of SD or HD recordings

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the quick reply.  I understand that but I don't agree with it as a company policy...to be giving customers a DVR box that does not equally compare to the customer's cloud storage and therefore how much they can really record. Do you see where I am coming from? Let's say you are my sister who doesn't have a smart phone, has never used an app, and hardly uses a computer... She would never have thought to go onto her cloud storage to see what her percantage was.  Comcast should be giving customers a piece of equipment that gives them a true and accurate reading of how much recording space they have available.  If I'm sitting on my couch and my TV screen shows in the upper right corner that I have used 38% of my recording space, that should really mean that I've used 38% of my recording space.  It shouldn't mean "you've used 38% of your DVR space but 80% of your cloud space so you better watch out how much more you can record".  Are the "Comcast higher ups" even aware of this problem?  Is anything being done to equalize it?

Service Expert

Cooper63 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.  I understand that but I don't agree with it as a company policy...to be giving customers a DVR box that does not equally compare to the customer's cloud storage and therefore how much they can really record. Do you see where I am coming from? Let's say you are my sister who doesn't have a smart phone, has never used an app, and hardly uses a computer... She would never have thought to go onto her cloud storage to see what her percantage was.  Comcast should be giving customers a piece of equipment that gives them a true and accurate reading of how much recording space they have available.  If I'm sitting on my couch and my TV screen shows in the upper right corner that I have used 38% of my recording space, that should really mean that I've used 38% of my recording space.  It shouldn't mean "you've used 38% of your DVR space but 80% of your cloud space so you better watch out how much more you can record".  Are the "Comcast higher ups" even aware of this problem?  Is anything being done to equalize it?

if you are requesting to limit the home DVR to just 60 hours instead of using space available on the hard drives, I disagree. The cloud DVR is a free add-on service that is limited currently to 60 hours where oldest are deleted as space is needed.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Cooper63 wrote:

It used to be equal, then it was changed about 2 years ago.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

No, I'm not requesting to limit the home DVR to 60 hours.  I'm wondering why the cloud storage isn't increased to match our home DVRs.  I have discvoered that once our clouds reach 99% full, shows start automatically deleting from our home DVRs.  This happened to me when my home DVR was at 34% and my cloud was at 99%!  Oh, and just so you know, it's not like I have hundreds of shows or anything...this was a little over 50 recordings.

So if they were equally matched two years ago...why did they change it???  Or maybe a better question is...what is the purpose of having a home DVR box that is so much larger than the cloud as far as storage capacity goes?

Service Expert

Cooper63 wrote:

No, I'm not requesting to limit the home DVR to 60 hours.  I'm wondering why the cloud storage isn't increased to match our home DVRs.  I have discvoered that once our clouds reach 99% full, shows start automatically deleting from our home DVRs.  This happened to me when my home DVR was at 34% and my cloud was at 99%!  Oh, and just so you know, it's not like I have hundreds of shows or anything...this was a little over 50 recordings.

So if they were equally matched two years ago...why did they change it???  Or maybe a better question is...what is the purpose of having a home DVR box that is so much larger than the cloud as far as storage capacity goes?

Comcast provides the cloud DVR free of charge as an added benefit of having a DVR. I had hopes that the cloud limit was soon to be followed by letting us use external storage eSATA but alas no such luck. Comcast will probably offer in the future to increase the hours on an additional cost basis - all IMO of course.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

@cooper63: Yes, we have the same issue of STB Percentage and Cloud percentage being about quite different. The Cloud %Full is about 5 times that of the STB even though they have the same recordings. I think it is because we mainly have SD recordings. (I'm told an HD recording takes about 5 time the space of an HD recording.) I'm not sure what will happen if/when we exceed 100% on the cloud. Some folks (including Comcast reps) claim only clould recordings will be deleted. Other comcast reps have told me STB recordings will be deleted as well to keep the STB in sync as much as possible with the Cloud. I'm very sorry to hear that your recordings are being deleted needlessly from your STB. I fear that is what will happen to us.

I've been trying to get an consistent/believable answer for about a month. Perhaps it is a regional implementation and not all Comcast X1 customers are running under the same algorithm nor is customer service trained to handle the different implementations. Or perhaps there is a bug.

Still, I agree that recordings should not be deleted from the STB just because the Cloud space was exceeded. Better yet, Cloud space should be increased to match the claim that X1 storage is "enough for hundreds of shows, so you don't have to delete your favorite shows to make room for new ones” (see https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-overview/.)  60 1 hr HD recordings is no where near hundreds of shows. Note that the link claims X1 provides only 50 hour of HD/SD storage which conflicts with the claim in https://www.xfinity.com/hd-dvr-responsive of 500gb storage for 300 SD or 60 HD hours.

New Poster

I also am having this issue with percentages of recorded shows not matching between my X1 box and my cloud.  My box had to be replaced last Monday and the reps told me the percentage reset to 0.  My cloud percentage was at 88%.  So as I recorded new shows beyond August 1st, all of a sudden shows started deleting themselves.  It took me a few days to figure it out but eventually I did.  The cloud had risen to 99% full even though my box was only at 9% full.  I've spent numerous hours on the phone with so many reps from tier 1, 2 and 3 support teams.  I am beyond frustration. I understand that I have to delete shows as the cloud approaches 100% but Comcast customers should not have to worry about running into another room to check a computer to see what percentage the cloud shows. (I say this because I don't have a laptop or a smartphone.)

Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: ... Comcast provides the cloud DVR free of charge ...

More like "included with your service". Just because it's not a line item on you bill does not mean it's "free of charge".

Service Expert

Lily57 wrote:

I also am having this issue with percentages of recorded shows not matching between my X1 box and my cloud.  My box had to be replaced last Monday and the reps told me the percentage reset to 0.  My cloud percentage was at 88%.  So as I recorded new shows beyond August 1st, all of a sudden shows started deleting themselves.  It took me a few days to figure it out but eventually I did.  The cloud had risen to 99% full even though my box was only at 9% full.  I've spent numerous hours on the phone with so many reps from tier 1, 2 and 3 support teams.  I am beyond frustration. I understand that I have to delete shows as the cloud approaches 100% but Comcast customers should not have to worry about running into another room to check a computer to see what percentage the cloud shows. (I say this because I don't have a laptop or a smartphone.)

they are not the same 'recorder' not the same storage nor storage rules. the Home DVR has an actual hard drive and it holds at a minimum 60 hours of HD recordings (Mpeg2). As more and more recordings are mpeg4 there will be more and more room and an HD mpeg4 hour recording is approximately the same size as an hour of SD in mpeg2. 

The hard drive is % full of 'space' (% is space in use vs total space available)

the cloud DVR is % full of 60 hours (30 hours/60 is 50%) - this is a free service and part of the benefits of having a home DVR.

the difference is like a shopping buggy in a store - some are bigger some are smaller but the same files leave different amounts of space left in the buggy. 

The cloud DVR will start removing older recordings if space is needed for upcoming scheduled recordings but that does not remove them from the home DVRs.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Rustyben, I think you are missing the point of my problem as well as Cooper63's problem.  What is happening is that the recordings are being deleted from BOTH the Cloud AND the home DVR box.  That is why the issue of the percentages not matching is such a big deal.  The percentage on our DVRs is much lower than the percantage on the Cloud, hence we do not ever know when shows are about to be deleted unless we are constantly checking the cloud percantage....why should the system be set up to work that way?

Frequent Visitor

That is correct Lily57.  And in rereading my original post I see that I didn't make it clear.  As recordings are being deleted, they are being deleted from BOTH my Cloud AND my in house DVR.  I'm sorry to see that other customers are experiencing the same issue with this percentage inequality but at least now I don't feel alone.  I have spent two weeks with so many phone calls with level 1, 2, 3 and 4 support techs.  What gets me really upset is that it seems that they really don't care.  They are basically just telling me it's something I have to live with. It also bothers me that two different level 3 techs gave me complete opposite advice.  Does anyone know if there's a way to contact someone in corporate management as opposed to technical help? I would love to hear from someone in corporate as to why the cloud storage does not match the storage of the boxes they give their customers.

Contributor

@cooper63 and @Lily57: You may try sending a message to "Customer Care". Go to https://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/TomKCustCare.html and towards the bottom of the page is a link to send feedback to Tom Karinshak, Senior Vice President of Customer Experience. The link for the form is https://support.xfinity.com/svp-contact-form. This route has been helpful on other frustrating occasions and I am trying it yet again for this issue as well. I have also found the some Comcast employees who read the forums are quite helpful, but there is only so much they can do. Best of luck.

Service Expert

Lily57 wrote:

Rustyben, I think you are missing the point of my problem as well as Cooper63's problem.  What is happening is that the recordings are being deleted from BOTH the Cloud AND the home DVR box.  That is why the issue of the percentages not matching is such a big deal.  The percentage on our DVRs is much lower than the percantage on the Cloud, hence we do not ever know when shows are about to be deleted unless we are constantly checking the cloud percantage....why should the system be set up to work that way?

cloud deletion for space needed is separate from your home DVR and independent upon deletion of files for future recordings. From my experience the oldest stuff is subject to immediate removal at the 90% mark (on either) and the percentage line is 'red' at that time.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben, you wrote, "cloud deletion for space needed is separate from your home DVR and independent upon deletion of files for future recordings. From my experience the oldest stuff is subject to immediate removal at the 90% mark (on either) and the percentage line is 'red' at that time."   Unfortunately that is NOT happening to us.  It is NO LONGER separate.  Recordings deleted from both my Cloud and my DVR overnight on two separate nights before I figured out the huge gap in percentages.  Had I known that my cloud was 99% full even though my DVR box was at 31%, and that the system was going to automatically delete my oldest shows overnight from BOTH my cloud AND my DVR, I would have wanted the chance to choose which shows I wanted to get rid of...or I would have wanted the chance to choose to not record anything those two evenings.  This is a service that I pay a lot of money for and that they have me in a two year contract for and they've given me a piece of equipment that doesn't give me a true and accurate reading of what I can actually record!

Service Expert

Cooper63 wrote:

@Rustyben, you wrote, "cloud deletion for space needed is separate from your home DVR and independent upon deletion of files for future recordings. From my experience the oldest stuff is subject to immediate removal at the 90% mark (on either) and the percentage line is 'red' at that time."   Unfortunately that is NOT happening to us.  It is NO LONGER separate.  Recordings deleted from both my Cloud and my DVR overnight on two separate nights before I figured out the huge gap in percentages.  Had I known that my cloud was 99% full even though my DVR box was at 31%, and that the system was going to automatically delete my oldest shows overnight from BOTH my cloud AND my DVR, I would have wanted the chance to choose which shows I wanted to get rid of...or I would have wanted the chance to choose to not record anything those two evenings.  This is a service that I pay a lot of money for and that they have me in a two year contract for and they've given me a piece of equipment that doesn't give me a true and accurate reading of what I can actually record!

I am still binge watching (catching up) on the 2nd half of last years TV episodes. many of my episodes are at the beginning of the year. I lost some on the cloud DVR due to size in hours but they still remain on my DVR. I see no evidence of that. however IF someone deletes a program from the app or web interface it will remove from both home and cloud DVR. you can not manage the cloud DVR recordings while not affecting the home DVR. example: you want to delete something manually from cloud DVR to make more room, but if you delete it yourself from the app the home's copy will also be deleted. the Comcast scheduler does delete from the cloud DVR only leaving the home DVR's copy intact.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Administrator
Administrator

All,

The cloud has the 60 most recent hours of recordings and the physical DVR holds 500gb, so there will be some mismatch between the used space and lists, as there's less space on the cloud.

When older recordings delete themselves from the cloud, they do not also delete themselves from the physical DVR unless, for some reason (e.g user box swapped) only a cloud copy existed. If only the cloud copy of the recording exists, it will be surfaced on the TV and will delete according to cloud space rules.

That said, we can double check any account to ensure that nothing other than the standard space logic is causing this. Please let us know on this thread if you are still needing further assistance. Thanks. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

Jessie,

I think I slowly am beginning to understand how this is supposed to work. (I have been told so much conflicting information that it is hard to know what is true at this point.) Let me lay out a scenario and please tell me if/when I get off base:

a) Someone get starts new X1 service. She gets a STB with 500gb of physical storage. That storage may hold approximately 60 hours of HD records, 300 hours of SD recordings, or some number between 60 and 300 hours of mixed SD and HD recordings. She also gets 60 hours of Cloud storage. Cloud storage does not distinguish between HD and SD recordings.

b) For simplicity sake, let’s assume she only records 1hr shows, all shows are SD, all recordings are set to “save until space is needed”, and she never deletes recordings on her own.

c) After she has recorded 45 shows, her Cloud should show 75% Full and the STB should show about 15% Full. Both will show 45 recordings.

d) After she has recorded 60 shows, her Cloud should show 100% Full and the STB should show about 20% Full. Both will show 60 recordings.

e) In order to record 5 more shows, the 5 oldest recordings will need to be deleted from the Cloud, but not from the STB. After those 5 new recordings are made, there will be 60 recordings on the Cloud and 65 recordings on the STB. The Cloud would still be at 100% Full and the STB would be about 21.67% Full. There is no easy way to tell from the TV nor online which 5 of the 65 STB recordings are not on the Cloud without going through the lists one by one or guessing because those recordings would be the newer recordings. Nor is there a way to see the Cloud %Full from the TV nor the STB %Full from online.

f) The STB eventually becomes full, so recordings will be deleted from both the the STB and Cloud to make room for new recordings. At that point there would be 60 recordings on the Cloud and 300 on the STB.

g) The STB is replaced, thus all 300 recordings from the old STB are lost, but 60 recordings remain on the Cloud. The STB would show 60 recordings with 0% Full because the number of recordings available for watching is 60 (all in the cloud) yet no storage is used on the STB. It would list all 60 Cloud recordings available for watching. The Cloud would still show 60 recordings with 100% Full.

h) In order to record 5 more shows, the 5 oldest recordings will need to be deleted from the Cloud. Since the deleted recordings do not physically reside on the new STB, those recordings disappear from the  list displayed on the TV making it appear as if they were deleted from the STB as well. After the 5 new recordings are made, there will be 60 recordings on the Cloud and 5 recordings on the STB . However, the count of recordings displayed on the STB with show 60, because it includes counts the 55 recordings that are stored only on the cloud. The Cloud would still be at 100% Full and the STB would be about 1.67% Full. The online list would display 60 recordings available for watching and the TV would list 60 recordings available for watching. There is no easy way to tell from the TV or online which or the 60 Cloud recordings are not on the STB without going through the lists one by one.

It would make the X1 algorithm much more transparent if, rather than just % Full, both the Cloud and STB storage showed the total used out of total allocated as well the resulting percentages. E.g. “Cloud 79% Full: 47 hours used out of 60 hours with 26 recordings“, “STB 3.6% Full: 18gb out of 500gb with 5 SD, 1 HD recordings, and 20 additional recordings on Cloud." Also, it would help if the Cloud storage statistics were available from the STB and the STB statistics were available through the Cloud. (Prior to last year's online revsions, the "manage DVR feature" allowed users to actually see and manage what was physically resided on non-X1 DVRs. It is no longer so transparent.) It would also help if the list of recordings available for watching had a small icon that indicated where they were stored.

Frequent Visitor

Jessie and FixService,

Thank You!!!!  After speaking on the phone with 6 tier 1 reps, 6 tier 2 reps, 3 tier 3 reps and 1 tier 4 rep, finally someone has explained to me what is going on.  Nobody else during the past 2 weeks has explained it to me like that.  They all kept telling me that the cloud holds 60 hours and the DVR holds approx 500GB and you're just going to have to live with this problem.  No one ever said "the cloud holds the most recent 60 hours"!!!  So I never realized that shows should only be deleting from my cloud and not my DVR!  Yes, if you go back up to my original post that started all of this...I had to get a new box a little over two weeks ago.  Every rep I talked to on the phone knew that...I made sure of it.  Not one of them offered Jessie's information to me.  So if I'm understanding this correctly...once I get all of my recordings from my old box watched and off the list my problem of things auto deleting (when my cloud gets to 99%) from both my cloud AND my DVR will stop because all of those recordings really aren't on my DVR box, they're only on the cloud to begin with?  And at that point...things will only delete from the cloud if I let the cloud get to 99% because anything I've recorded since the new box is actually on the new box? (As long as I keep the box to under 99%, I know)

Contributor

I updated items g) and h) my scenario because I now believe the count of recordings on the STB includes the Cloud only recordings, not just the count of the STB recordings. The reason I think this is because my STB was swapped out today, I have not recorded anything yet, the count of recordings is the same as on the cloud, and the space used is blank. (Not sure why it isn't zero.) Sure would be nice to know what is really stored where in an easy fashion. I also was able to confirm today that the STB which was removed did not have physical storage in it whereas the one it was replaced with does. This means that the %Full that is displayed on the STB most likely calculated by software that assumes the STB has storage rather than reading it out of firmware from the STB. It will be interesting to see what happens after recordings are actually made.

New Poster

After speaking with 3 different xfinity people today, including the tech guy, the expert tech guy and then the expert, expert tech person, I was told that you can't use the extra space on the home DVR once your cloud storage of 60 hours was reached.  That as soon as the cloud was full, it will delete off the home DVR and too bad, nothing you can do about it.

We are new to xfinity so we didn't switched boxes recently or have old shows left on, so how can I get it to stop deleting stuff off the home DVR when the cloud hits capacity?  Not sure what the next step will be, but my wife wants to go back to Uverse.

Service Expert

ElmerJFudd2 wrote:

After speaking with 3 different xfinity people today, including the tech guy, the expert tech guy and then the expert, expert tech person, I was told that you can't use the extra space on the home DVR once your cloud storage of 60 hours was reached.  That as soon as the cloud was full, it will delete off the home DVR and too bad, nothing you can do about it.

We are new to xfinity so we didn't switched boxes recently or have old shows left on, so how can I get it to stop deleting stuff off the home DVR when the cloud hits capacity?  Not sure what the next step will be, but my wife wants to go back to Uverse. 

unless we as customers delete a recording it will remain on both the home DVR and cloud DVR until space is needed. If space is needed on the cloud DVR the 'scheduler in the cloud' will remove oldest recordings on the cloud DVR "only". If space is needed on your home DVR the 'scheduler in the cloud' will remove the oldest recordings from  the home DVR "only". It could happen that space is needed on both at the same time and in that case the scheduler would delete from both however the process is completely unrelated. The deletions happen as needed to record new recordings. I hope that clears up any wrong information you were given. 

by the way you can increase the size of both by installing a 2nd DVR in the home. the cloud DVR hours would then double to 120. I have 3 and still lost some this season due to lack of time to watch the oldest recordings.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

@ElmerJFudd2:  I've been told the same as you by multiple Xfinity Customer Service Representatives at different levels. Namely, when Xfinity deletes a recording on the Cloud due to lack of Cloud space that it will be deleted from the the STB space as well. I've also been told by multiple Xfinity Customer Service Representatives at different levels that only recordins on the Cloud will be deleted to make space and they won't be deleted from the STB. (The latter is the way RustyBen claims his service works.)

Perhaps it is a regional issue. Perhaps it is a training issue.  But it is very annoying. Customers shouldn't  have to wait until their cloud storage is exceeded to see how the service actually works. Customers should also not be expected to rely on the conflicting adivce that they are given on the forums. The fact the TV does not distinguish Cloud only versus STB recordings in its list doesn't help matters: i.e. it lists all programs that are available for viewing without indicating where they will be viewed from.

I suggest you try sending a message to "Customer Care". Go to https://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/TomKCustCare.html and towards the bottom of the page is a link to send feedback to Tom Karinshak, Senior Vice President of Customer Experience. The link for the form is https://support.xfinity.com/svp-contact-form. Best of luck.

Service Expert
Moved:

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation