Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

DVR Manager won't activate

Frequent Visitor

DVR Manager won't activate

I got the royal runaround yesterday on this issue and I want to verify what the actual problem may be.

I upgraded my cable and internet service with Comcast several days ago. I received the self-install kits for a wireless gateway (DOCISS III) and a Scientific Atlanta HD DVR. All activations went well. When I tried last night to activate the DVR manager It gives me the following error:

(DVR Manager is available in your area.     However, we are
unable to detect a compatible DVR in your household)

The first person in TV Support I talked to said that for My Zip Code the service wasn't available. I asked why the program stated that it was available and she had no real answer.

Not willing to accept the first answer, I called again and got a different person that stated he saw what the issue was that my old DOCISS II modem was still assigned on the system along with the DVR and my new Modem. He additionally stated that he was in the TV support side and needed to send me to the internet support side to correct the issue.

After a time on hold Tech #3 (internet) came on the line. I again explained what my issue was and he discounted Tech #2 diagnosis. He asked me if my remote control was working I said yes and asked him what that had to do with my issue. Again no real answers. He stated he couldn't help me any further and he gave me the number to premium service. This number turned out to just send me back to support again.

When Technician #4 came on the line. I again explained the issue along with all the information erroneous or otherwise I had received to date. Tech #4 said at first my DVR wasn't compatible with the DVR service. I asked why I was shipped an incompatible box since the remote DVR programming was one of my requests when ordering the service? She backed up, put me on hold and came back and said that yes my DVR was compatible but the service wasn't available in my area.  Again, as with Tech #1, I asked why did the activation state that the service was available then. Again no real answer just that's the way it is so accept it.

Well I'm not willing to accept it when I was originally told when ordering service that the feature was available. If it isn't then give me a real and plausible answer why and maybe a date when it will be available. Leaving me twisting in the wind is, in my opinion, unacceptable customer service and support.

Cable Expert

Re: DVR Manager won't activate

Scientific Atlanta & Cisco DVR's do not yet have DVR manager feature.  It's just coming out to some Cisco / SA area's when the subscriber orders the newly available AnyRoom DVR option.

Most stand alone Cisco / SA DVR's will get the feature later in the year into next year once Guide 2.0 is deployed.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

So, Is the solution a Motorola DVR or are those not currently available in my area? And why does the activitation page state that the service is available? 

Cable Expert

Motorola equipment only operates on Motorola powered headends. 

Cisco / SA equipment only operates on Scientific Atlanta powered headends.  The two are not interchangeable.

The error you see is correct, if you had the AnyRoom DVR then you would have a compatible box, as AnyRoom does have the Guide 2.0, but is still not in every SA area.

When you are notified of the Guide 2.0 upgrade, then you know you will be very close to getting the feature.  Rollouts are continuing now that the Olympics are done.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Official Employee

lsmith3023 wrote:

So, Is the solution a Motorola DVR or are those not currently available in my area? And why does the activitation page state that the service is available? 

What is your zip code?

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

My Zip Code is 39042

Official Employee

lsmith3023 wrote:

My Zip Code is 39042

Our team is further looking into this for you. I will reach out to you when I learn more about your issue.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

An update to this mess:

Got a call from a Comcast "expert" this afternoon that stated that the service was available in my area but not with a Scientific Atlanta DVR. He said I needed a Pace or Motorola DVR to access the DVR Manager. I reiterated the information that I received here that I could only get a Scientific Atlanta DVR in this market. He stated that I needed to check with the local office that It may be possible to get a different DVR. He proceeded to forward me to what I thought was the local office in MS, but it turned out to be a CSR in Florida. Again I explained the whole scenario and the CSR said she would forward me to the local office. Several minutes on hold and I get another CSR (Not in MS) and I again explain the same thing again (ad nauseum). She was at least helpful and after looking at several things online she put me on hold and talked to a supervisor. When she came back she stated that she could see my box and everything was setup and I should be able to activate DVR Manager. I tried and it still gave me the same error. She put me on hold and after about five minutes came back and said that she had accessed the activation and had me set up. She also stated that the activation would take 24 hours to show up. I stated that I had been running around three days with this issue and one more day wouldn't matter. 

So tomorrow evening we will see if this actually has been solved or if it is still a load of hockey.

I don't see any evidence of activated computers on my account, so I remain skeptical. :-P

New Poster

I'm having the exact same issue here in Fort Wayne, Indiana - 46835. I'd be curious to know what you find out.

Official Employee

Molohon524 wrote:

I'm having the exact same issue here in Fort Wayne, Indiana - 46835. I'd be curious to know what you find out.

You are in a compatible market but you may not have a compatible box. What is the make and model of your set-top box?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

As I thought,  there is no activation on the DVR Manager. I managed to talk to a local Comcast employee that  told me the service wasn't available yet in MS except for two test markets. So I accept that as the final word right now.

My real complaint still stands though. When I was exploring switching from DISH I specifically asked the CSR if this feature was available and I got an emphatic Yes. No mention of maybe, or it's coming in the future, but an affirmation that the DVR manager was currently available. This was a large part of my decision to move back to cable. That piece of misinformation along with the three day runaround with no less than nine separate CSRs none of which apparently had a clue of what was happening in my local market or knew who to send me to for answers. Several had some vauge idea but still had no concrete information to offer. I still don't know when this will be offered in my area beyond the ambiguous "soon". You apparently can't get to speak to your local office unless you go there physically and stand in line. Even the local posted number sends you to a call center somewhere else in the world. In my opinion I have received very poor customer service. All I can hope for is that nothing else needs correction. I don't have the energy.

New Poster

ComcastJoe:

Motorola

DCX3400-M

Official Employee

Molohon524 wrote:

ComcastJoe:

Motorola

DCX3400-M

Our team is looking into your issue now. Someone will contact via phone within the next 72 hours. If they do not reach you, they will leave a message so please check your messages.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

I am having the same issue.  I tried to activate my DVD from the website and it says syncing in progress.  It has been saying that for 3 days. 

Zip:  46256

Dvr:  DCX3400

Official Employee

zlsmith86 wrote:

I am having the same issue.  I tried to activate my DVD from the website and it says syncing in progress.  It has been saying that for 3 days. 

Zip:  46256

Dvr:  DCX3400

Our team is looking into your issue now. Someone will contact via phone within the next 72 hours. If they do not reach you, they will leave a message so please check your messages.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

I also have this issue. It is very annoying. If anyone could help me with it that would be great.

I am in 15122

My DVR is Cisco RNG200

I went to get another box and was told that it is not available in my area even though the site says it is.

New Poster

I am having the same problem.  I too, spoke with three different people, and each person transferred me to another person.  I was given some story about how my set top had have a new download and that would solve the problem.  I am in zip 34997, my set top is a Cisco RNG200N.  This is really frustrating.  Three straight days talking to comcast support without the issue being resolved.

Official Employee

Rosneck & Paulz526,

I am sorry but you are currently not in eligible markets.

DVR Manager is expected to be available to all of our Scientific-Atlanta and Cisco branded DVRs by the end of the year. 

We have already started the site by site activation (DVR Manager requires some additional new guide software and some infrastructure to be activated).

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Thanks for your quick response.  Can you please tell me then, why does the website tell me that it is available in my area, and also the people at the Comcast office in Stuart tell me that it is available?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation