Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

DVR Manager records to wrong DVR and switches my Default DVR

Regular Contributor

DVR Manager records to wrong DVR and switches my Default DVR

I have 2 DVRS.  One I call FAMILY ROOM and other DOWNSTAIRS.  From my computer DVR Manager i usually set to record on DOWNSTAIRS DVR.  I have set DOWNSTAIRS as DEFAULT DVR.  BUt now when I schedule it puts it on FAMILY ROOM DVR.  And it switches my default DVR to FR.  This is frustrating the heck out of me.   I never used to have this problem.  I can usually switch back by first cancelling the FR recording then it goes to Modify and I can change to DOWNSTAIRS DVR.

Side note what is TV CONTROL in DVR manager....it has on and off button but no explanation.

Hope this makes sense

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR Manager records to wrong DVR and switches my Default DVR

I believe that the TV Contol feature allows the XFinity TV App (mobile devices) to be able to change channels on the cable box.   If you go to DVR Manager, Settings, click on the word "Why?" where it says "TV control not available from this cable box" it gives this info.

Regular Contributor

Thanks JEO...does Comcast monitor this board and answer our questions?  My DVR manager I operate from my DESKTOP computer still doing the things mentioned in my original post.

1.    I set program to record on DStairs DVR....it says it will record when it connects to Fam Rm DVR...grrrr

2.    I set Default DVR to DStairs......save it.....then go back and it reverts Default to Fam Rm.....grrrrrr

Is Default DVR critical??  What purpose does it serve?  I really dont want to have to call customer service and explain this

Frequent Visitor

In my own thread I can confirm problem #1.   Problem #2 sounds a bit different than what I see.  In DVR manager  I can set the default dvr radio button to the new dvr, save it and it stays that way the next time I sign in.

Official Employee

Anon1423016 wrote:

I have 2 DVRS.  One I call FAMILY ROOM and other DOWNSTAIRS.  From my computer DVR Manager i usually set to record on DOWNSTAIRS DVR.  I have set DOWNSTAIRS as DEFAULT DVR.  BUt now when I schedule it puts it on FAMILY ROOM DVR.  And it switches my default DVR to FR.  This is frustrating the heck out of me.   I never used to have this problem.  I can usually switch back by first cancelling the FR recording then it goes to Modify and I can change to DOWNSTAIRS DVR.

Side note what is TV CONTROL in DVR manager....it has on and off button but no explanation.

Hope this makes sense

Are you clicking the "Save Settings" button when setting your default DVR on this page?

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

CC Joe thanks for reply.  Most definitely am saving.  I have used the DVR Manager alot over the months so I do know when something is wrong.  It has only been the last few weeks where everything wants to go to the FAM RM DVR even though I specify DStairs DVR.

Only thing that works is to set the recording on FR DVR.  Then Cancel it. From Modify I can then set it to DS DVR.  This is a very tedious step to take.  Thanks again any help appreciated.

Official Employee

Anon1423016 wrote:

CC Joe thanks for reply.  Most definitely am saving.  I have used the DVR Manager alot over the months so I do know when something is wrong.  It has only been the last few weeks where everything wants to go to the FAM RM DVR even though I specify DStairs DVR.

Only thing that works is to set the recording on FR DVR.  Then Cancel it. From Modify I can then set it to DS DVR.  This is a very tedious step to take.  Thanks again any help appreciated.

When you are signed in, you will see a black bar at the bottom of the page. Does the DVR that appears correct? Meaning, if you are about to record a show make sure DStairs DVR is the one showing and then try.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Yes Joe I have the black bar.  Here is what is on it.  From Left to Right it says DVR  QUEUE  ALERTS HISTORY

Then on the far right of the black bar is DOWNSTAIRS.  I click on that button and pop up shows both DVRS and Dstairs is highlighted in blue.

NOW here is what happens when i click on DVR on the black button.  It goes to the page with the FAMILY RM DVR line up of upcoming recordings.

On the Downstairs button on black bar when I click on it ...it takes me nowhere...just gives me option to manage DVR.

Just tried a recording...same thing.....went to FR DVR when I wanted the DS DVR.   

Very frustrating.   Thanks for your time Joe...if you can forward this to a tech at Comcast would be great.

Official Employee

Anon1423016 wrote:

Yes Joe I have the black bar.  Here is what is on it.  From Left to Right it says DVR  QUEUE  ALERTS HISTORY

Then on the far right of the black bar is DOWNSTAIRS.  I click on that button and pop up shows both DVRS and Dstairs is highlighted in blue.

NOW here is what happens when i click on DVR on the black button.  It goes to the page with the FAMILY RM DVR line up of upcoming recordings.

On the Downstairs button on black bar when I click on it ...it takes me nowhere...just gives me option to manage DVR.

Just tried a recording...same thing.....went to FR DVR when I wanted the DS DVR.   

Very frustrating.   Thanks for your time Joe...if you can forward this to a tech at Comcast would be great.

Have you tried changing the names of your DVRs? Is it possible that they are labeled incorrectly?

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

No they are named correctly..when I push button that says SHOW NAME on TV....they are correct.  Again I have used this service for a long time.  When it schedules on FR DVR....thats where it goes.

In nutshell....it will not allow me to set a recording to DS DVR....unless i first cancell and then modify.

This is all within the last couple weeks...ran like a charm before that.  It seems one other guy in here has the same problem.   Thanks again for your time.

Official Employee

Anon1423016 wrote:

No they are named correctly..when I push button that says SHOW NAME on TV....they are correct.  Again I have used this service for a long time.  When it schedules on FR DVR....thats where it goes.

In nutshell....it will not allow me to set a recording to DS DVR....unless i first cancell and then modify.

This is all within the last couple weeks...ran like a charm before that.  It seems one other guy in here has the same problem.   Thanks again for your time.

Ok, our team is looking into your account. Someone will call you within the next 72 hours.

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Thanks Joe appreciate your prompt replies!   Hope they can fix it as it is very convenient to sched from computer

Regular Contributor

BREAKING NEWS!

Comcast revamped their TV listings page today it appears.  I went to try to record a show....and it went to the Dstairs DVR!!!    Tried it again and it worked!   This could be a fix!

BTW I was contacted 2 times by Comcast.....trying to solve the prob.  I appreciate your service on this issue and hope it is permanently fixed!!

Frequent Visitor

I can confirm on the new format tv listings page the record is sending to the desired DVR here also.   The change channel feature doesn't seem to work but I don't care too much about that.   Sometimes that feature doesn't work and the next day it does, so it's worth waiting a day and trying again on the channel change.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation