Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Controlling X1 box DVR remotely after "cloud DVR" activation

New Poster

Controlling X1 box DVR remotely after "cloud DVR" activation

My mother has vision problems and cannot read any onscreen menus, but can still watch programs (sort of), so I have been remotely setting up recordings of her favorite shows on her X1 box DVR, using the "DVR manager" on the Xfinity website on my work computer, and, up until yesterday, I was able to see those recordings, start playing a recording on her X1 box DVR for her, schedule new recordings, delete recordings, all while I was at work.

Overnight, the "cloud DVR" was activated, and now I can no longer access the "DVR manager" web page to see, play, or record anything remotely on her X1 box DVR.  I can only access the "cloud DVR" "Recordings" page, which only allows me to schedule and play "cloud DVR" recordings *on* my work computer.  It appears that anything scheduled to record on her X1 box DVR in the future will also be recorded on the "cloud DVR", but again, I cannot now remotely see or control *any* of the recordings on her X1 box DVR!

Has anyone figured out how to remotely access and control an X1 box DVR, after the activation of "cloud DVR" service??

Or ... is there any way to DEactivate "cloud DVR" service?  We did not request this, it just happened overnight, it seems.

Thanks!

Service Expert

Re: Controlling X1 box DVR remotely after "cloud DVR" activation

jpellmann,

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

jpellmann wrote:

My mother has vision problems and cannot read any onscreen menus, but can still watch programs (sort of), so I have been remotely setting up recordings of her favorite shows on her X1 box DVR, using the "DVR manager" on the Xfinity website on my work computer, and, up until yesterday, I was able to see those recordings, start playing a recording on her X1 box DVR for her, schedule new recordings, delete recordings, all while I was at work.

Overnight, the "cloud DVR" was activated, and now I can no longer access the "DVR manager" web page to see, play, or record anything remotely on her X1 box DVR.  I can only access the "cloud DVR" "Recordings" page, which only allows me to schedule and play "cloud DVR" recordings *on* my work computer.  It appears that anything scheduled to record on her X1 box DVR in the future will also be recorded on the "cloud DVR", but again, I cannot now remotely see or control *any* of the recordings on her X1 box DVR!

Has anyone figured out how to remotely access and control an X1 box DVR, after the activation of "cloud DVR" service??

Or ... is there any way to DEactivate "cloud DVR" service?  We did not request this, it just happened overnight, it seems.

Thanks!

It may just be coincidence but the web page has changed 

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-TV-Website/Announcement-and-feedback-thread-TV-Go-is-now-part-o...

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Thank you, ComcastAndrew, for the pointer to the changes on the site.  I see that I wasn't alone in my frustration!

FYI, in case anyone else is interested, I've now jerry-rigged a solution for my mother: I downloaded the "Xfinity TV X1 Remote" app for my smartphone, which replicates the physical buttons on her remote (Xfinity button, left, right, up down, OK) and on which I can log in to her Comcast account and then control her X1 box.  NOTE: do not confuse "Xfinity TV X1 Remote" app with the OTHER Comcast apps, like "Xfinity TV Remote" [no "X1"] or "Xfinity TV" [no "remote"] ... those other two do NOT replicate the buttons on the remote!

So then I could actually remotely control her X1 box, navigate to her recordings, and click on "Watch" so they would start.

But ... I still couldn't SEE her TV screen remotely, so I had to go buy a WiFi-enabled webcam, and install it in her room, on a tripod behind her recliner, so that I could SEE her screen and watch what happens on the screen as I press the buttons on the remote app on my smartphone!

It works, but it is SO much more clumsy and error-prone than the simple and effective "DVR manager" interface on the web that Comcast removed!

Please, please, please, let the powers that be within Comcast know what inconvenience they have inflicted on their elderly customers, not to mention their caregivers, with this web change.

And not to mention that this web change was NOT COMMUNICATED in advance to any customers, NOT communicated to Comcast's own support staff, etc.

Extremely bad in so many respects.

Thanks for letting me rant, and thanks again Andrew, for the pointer to the other discussion.  Otherwise, I'd still be trying to find out what happened!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation