Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Companion set-top box Pace PXD01ANI - Stereo Only

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Companion set-top box Pace PXD01ANI - Stereo Only

I have an X1 DVR and run surround sound through optical output in my Family Room.  I just got a full service (premium channels, etc) companion box (Pace PXD01) for my Man Cave.  The only outputs from this box are co-ax or HDMI (no optical).  However I try, I cannot get anything better than stereo out of this box.  I want to hook it up to a surround sound system.  I have gone into Device Settings, and the only audio options are HDMI-Stereo or HDMI Audio Out - Expert Mode.  On Expert Mode, it still only outputs stereo.  Does anyone know if these boxes are 5-channel capable like the main DVR box? 

Accepted Solution

Re: Companion set-top box Pace PXD01ANI - Stereo Only

That's why I suggested that you swap your current Xi box for an XG2.........
View answer in context
Gold Problem Solver

Could you please provide more details about the TV and audio system?

More information about how it is connected would also be very helpful...
Service Expert

adding...

coax audio is old nearly deprecated technology. The HDMI audio has more capability.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

The set-top box is the XiD-P ($9.99/mo) that provides all features of my DVR (Premium Channels, replay saved programs, rewind, etc. from the main DVR via the Cloud).  It only has HDMI output (co-ax irrelevant).  I have hooked this up to a Yamaha receiver connected to a Bose surround sound system.  My regular DVR box hooked up to this receiver with optical connection provides full surround sound, but the companion box doesn't.  It seems the Pace companion box is not 5-channel capable?

Service Expert

kldavies wrote:

The set-top box is the XiD-P ($9.99/mo) that provides all features of my DVR (Premium Channels, replay saved programs, rewind, etc. from the main DVR via the Cloud).  It only has HDMI output (co-ax irrelevant).  I have hooked this up to a Yamaha receiver connected to a Bose surround sound system.  My regular DVR box hooked up to this receiver with optical connection provides full surround sound, but the companion box doesn't.  It seems the Pace companion box is not 5-channel capable?

you may have a setting in the X1 set top box that needs to be adjusted. press the Xfinity button > gear(settings) > Device Settings > Audio > HDMI Audio Output and change to auto detect (Dolby Digital 5.1) or to expert mode 'Highest Dolby available passed through). You may need to check your receiver's audio input for that that connection to be sure it is set to the HDMI stream.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Already tried that.  HDMI Audio Out Auto Detect does not provide Dolby 5.1 as an option - Only Stereo.  When set to Expert Mode, only stereo is passed through.  I have the correct setting on my receiver, because if I hook up my main DVR to the same optical input, it gives me full surround sound.  My question is: Does anyone know if these companion boxes are surround sound capable?  They are very small electronic boxes (seems too small for advanced audio, maybe that's why there's no optical out), and the output on the screen for HDMI Audio Out is different to that of the main DVR box.  I'm guessing they are designed for any room flat screen TV's with internal speakers.  If you want full surround sound, you have to pony-up another $10/mo for another DVR???

I appreciate your time in trying to help Rustyben.  Thanks

Gold Problem Solver

Yes all X1 boxes are surround capable.

Please explain your hook up path. How is the TV connected.

How do you have both a Yamaha receiver and a "Bose system"?
Service Expert

kldavies wrote:

Already tried that.  HDMI Audio Out Auto Detect does not provide Dolby 5.1 as an option - Only Stereo.  When set to Expert Mode, only stereo is passed through.  I have the correct setting on my receiver, because if I hook up my main DVR to the same optical input, it gives me full surround sound.  My question is: Does anyone know if these companion boxes are surround sound capable?  They are very small electronic boxes (seems too small for advanced audio, maybe that's why there's no optical out), and the output on the screen for HDMI Audio Out is different to that of the main DVR box.  I'm guessing they are designed for any room flat screen TV's with internal speakers.  If you want full surround sound, you have to pony-up another $10/mo for another DVR???

I appreciate your time in trying to help Rustyben.  Thanks

If the model you have has Settings for 5.1 it should be 5.1-capable.  I only have one 5.1 sound system so I can't verify that with my XG2's.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

kldavies wrote:

I have an X1 DVR and run surround sound through optical output in my Family Room.  I just got a full service (premium channels, etc) companion box (Pace PXD01) for my Man Cave.  The only outputs from this box are co-ax or HDMI (no optical).  However I try, I cannot get anything better than stereo out of this box.  I want to hook it up to a surround sound system.  I have gone into Device Settings, and the only audio options are HDMI-Stereo or HDMI Audio Out - Expert Mode.  On Expert Mode, it still only outputs stereo.  Does anyone know if these boxes are 5-channel capable like the main DVR box? 

you've tried what all of us suggested. I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Yamaha receiver, Bose 4 speakers with Subwoofer system and one non-Bose center speaker.  TV is DLP projector with crappy single speaker, video hooked up by HDMI.  Optical sound into receiver by way of HDMI/Toslink switch (Dolby 5.1 capable).  Speakers and receiver are not the problem, they squirt surround sound from my X1 DVR.  The companion box will not squirt anything other than stereo.  I believe these mini boxes are not designed to provide anything other than stereo to a flat screen with internal stereo speakers.

Frequent Visitor

RobertWy, I cannot get the 5.1 option in the settings menu under tools-device settings-Audio-HDMI Audio Output.  It only gives me stereo, and only gives stereo in the Expert Mode too.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks everyone for the attempt.  I'll endeavor to see what escalation reveals.  : )

Service Expert

kldavies wrote:

Thanks everyone for the attempt.  I'll endeavor to see what escalation reveals.  : )

I don't know how old your receiver is but is the x1 HDMI hooked up directly to the receiver first then pass though to the TV?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

The X1 box is reading the TV as only capable of stereo sound so it is forcing the X1 box to remain in stereo. The used to be a huge problem with X1 boxes but Comcast fixed it.

Swap the box for an XG2. The XG2 is a better box and the same price.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for suggestion Rustyben, but with same inputs to same mono speaker projector and optical audio to receiver, the receiver outputs surround sound to my Bose speakers.  Only gets stereo with the companion box.

Frequent Visitor

RickGr4 - I don't have a problem with my X1 DVR box.  It is the small satellite box (Pace PXD01ANI - XiD-P) that I can't get surround sound.  Thanks for feedback

Gold Problem Solver

That's why I suggested that you swap your current Xi box for an XG2.........
Frequent Visitor

Understood - Xi vs X1.

Swapping X1 satellite box for DVR doubles the monthly rental, but may have to go that way.  : (

Service Expert

kldavies wrote:

Understood - Xi vs X1.

Swapping X1 satellite box for DVR doubles the monthly rental, but may have to go that way.  : (

an XG2 is not a DVR and is same price per month.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

Hi, kldavies - The XiD boxes are compatible with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Are you having the same issue with the secondary XiD box? 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Not tried that since the other XiD box is hooked up to a regular flat screen with internal stereo speakers.  So no issue.  I'll give it a try....  Thanks

Official Employee

@kldavies - Please let me know how it goes. Thank you!

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Second XiD set-top box behaves exactly the same as first one - namely only "stereo" or "expert mode"  provided as an option when selecting Device Settings - Audio Options - HDMI.  Expert Mode outputs stereo only into my Yamaha Receiver.

Service Expert

kldavies wrote:

Second XiD set-top box behaves exactly the same as first one - namely only "stereo" or "expert mode"  provided as an option when selecting Device Settings - Audio Options - HDMI.  Expert Mode outputs stereo only into my Yamaha Receiver.

you might want to look at your owner's manual for the receiver to determine how to set the input for the set top box's connection to the Yamaha to receive 5.1. The expert mode outputs Dolby no matter what the device tells the set top box (like an override). Many owner's manuals are available online if you can't locate yours.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I did what RickGr4 recommended, and swapped the XiD box for an XG2 at my local Comcast service center.  That has an optical audio out connection, and solves my sound issue.  But now my projector is squishing the 16:9 image, stretching everyone making them short and fat.  Tried Device - Video settings, and projector screen options - no success.  That is a new issue however, for a separate forum post....

Thanks RickGr4 for the audio solution!

Frequent Visitor

Looked on Xfinity forum and found others with similar aspect ratio video problem.  Settings - General - Auto HDMI Off did the trick.  : )

Official Employee

@kldavies - Awesome!!! Thank you for sharing your experience and tricks, also a big thank you to @RickGr4 for suggesting an XG2 swap. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation