Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Comcast new Data plans and Anyplay

ANSWERED
Contributor

Comcast new Data plans and Anyplay

definately like anyplay.  Does anyone know if anyplay streaming counts against the data limits that comast has

established? 

Accepted Solution

Re: Comcast new Data plans and Anyplay

Hi all,

AnyPlay does not count towards a customer’s monthly data usageThe video content is not delivered to the AnyPlay device in IP format, so data usage isn’t a relevant factor for viewing of content when using the AnyPlay device.  The content is delivered to the AnyPlay device over our traditional cable network (in QAM format vs. IP) the same way we deliver content to any traditional set top box – it is then converted to IP format by the AnyPlay device in the home, and is then distributed over the home network via wi-fi to a customer’s tablet. 

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

View answer in context
Official Employee

JSBRENTWOODTN wrote:

definately like anyplay.  Does anyone know if anyplay streaming counts against the data limits that comast has

established? 

We have temporarily removed all data caps. Please go here to learn more:

http://blog.comcast.com/2012/05/comcast-to-replace-usage-cap-with-improved-data-usage-management-app...

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Cable Expert

On the early installations of AnyPlay, it doesn't stream down the internet through your modem, there is another device placed in your home connected to your coax and your home LAN.  The device streams over your home network to your IOS devices.  It's like a cable box with a ethernet port on the back.

televation.JPG

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Joe,

Thanks, but, not sure answers my question.  Let me see if I can word better.

About a week ago I recevied a letter saying that my free data limit was being increased from 250 to 300gigs. Given that I have no clue how much data I use I went and checked the usage meter on website.  I see that in may I used something like 60 .  then in june it increased to 150.  Still well below any amount would be charged additional.  My concern is to avoid a place where I may be charged additional and just want to know if anyplay is simply like watching tv or if consumes data.

thanks

Problem Solver

Sounds like your in a trial market area , cap being increased from 250 to 300 , So  with the new Cap in your area anyplay counts  . Some routers monitor the usage and alert when approaching limits . It would be nice if comcast sent out email alerts when approaching usage  limits as does At&t with cell phone data limits .

Gold Problem Solver

ComcastJoe wrote: ... AnyPlay runs through your home's Wi-Fi connection so it will go against your monthly Internet cap. ...

How can that be, when the AnyPlay data does not pass through the cable modem?

Contributor

Letter they sent regarding new limits says

"in browser notices and emails - we will send you courtesy "in browser" notices and emails to your comcast.net email account lettting you know when you reach 90% and 100% of your montly data usage allowance."

Problem Solver

I don't see any mention of usage on Anyplay pdf userguide  file . Comcast might want to note that .

http://info.xfinity.com/Comcast/Portal/content/Comcast/VideoMicrosites/AnyPlay/Images/userguide_eng0...

Or on there webpage ,   http://info.xfinity.com/Portal/content/Comcast/VideoMicrosites/AnyPlay/index.aspx

Official Employee

I noticed this discussion and wanted to reiterate what Joe said, which is the data policy is suspended - which more or less makes this a moot question (at least for now). When and if we trial or deploy a new approach we'll advise on what is counted and not - and until then I'm not sure we have an answer for you. I know that's kind of vague but it is the best I can do, and should perhaps be read more as future plans are uncertain.

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Hi all,

AnyPlay does not count towards a customer’s monthly data usageThe video content is not delivered to the AnyPlay device in IP format, so data usage isn’t a relevant factor for viewing of content when using the AnyPlay device.  The content is delivered to the AnyPlay device over our traditional cable network (in QAM format vs. IP) the same way we deliver content to any traditional set top box – it is then converted to IP format by the AnyPlay device in the home, and is then distributed over the home network via wi-fi to a customer’s tablet. 

Thanks,
Joe

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Cable Expert

I thought I said that on July 19.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation