Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Closed Captioning and STARZ

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

Closed Captioning and STARZ

Trying to watch The White Princess with closed captioning on and it is not working properly  on my TV . The closed captioning only comes on every minute or so and it only partially  displays what people are saying.    I switched to a movie and found the same problem. 

The problem does not exist on the Xfinity TV app; however I do not watch TV programs on anything except my television.  

What is wrong with closed captioning on STARZ on television?   Isn't Comcast required by law to provide closed captioning? 

Accepted Solution

Re: Closed Captioning and STARZ

Hi JodieNJ -- Thank you for bringing this closed captioning issue to our attention. Close captioning issues are handled by a dedicated team. You would want to contact them directly to report this issue. You can do so by email at Closed_Captioning@comcast.com, by phone at 1-800-266-2278, or fax at 215-286-4700.

View answer in context
Service Expert

do you have more than one X1 set top box? If so, is it the same on each one? Have you tried viewing Starz on-demand to see if captions work ok there? 

I checked each Starz channel that I receive. The Starz encore and Starz comedy in HD and SD did not show captions while all the other Starz channels did have it. Can you verify each of your Starz are the same on the X1 equipment? The current playing on encore was reservoir Dogs. I played same 'asset' on X1 via on-demand and it had perfect captions. 

I iwll escalate the issue to the Comcast employees that handle this issue. It appears to be the 'recoder' that creates the live feed for HD and SD. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

do you have more than one X1 set top box? If so, is it the same on each one? Have you tried viewing Starz on-demand to see if captions work ok there? 

I checked each Starz channel that I receive. The Starz encore and Starz comedy in HD and SD did not show captions while all the other Starz channels did have it. Can you verify each of your Starz are the same on the X1 equipment? The current playing on encore was reservoir Dogs. I played same 'asset' on X1 via on-demand and it had perfect captions. 

I iwll escalate the issue to the Comcast employees that handle this issue. It appears to be the 'recoder' that creates the live feed for HD and SD. 

I have two X1 boxes, a DVR in the living room and a box in the bedroom. The problem is the same on both TVs. 

I no longer have STARZ on demand!   When I go to the on-demand menu and pick STARZ, it shows me live channels ONLY.   Why do you have STARZ on demand and I no longer do?? 

BUT even though I can't go to the on-demand menu, select STARZ and see all the on-demand programs, I can search for The White Princess and if I mark it as unwatched,  I can get to it on demand, and  then watch on-demand rather than live or on my DVR  and  the closed captions work. 

Just turned on a movie on STZHD, Men of Honor, (live).  The closed captions show only sporadically,  same as the white princess.  

I don't watch any of the other STARZ stations.

I am getting very frustrated with Comcast's handling of STARZ.    In addition to this issue, I  want to stream to my television from the STARZ app where there are many more things to watch tHan are on demand but for at least a year, people are no longer able to access the STARZ  streaming  app through Comcast. As I'm sure you know.  

I do not want to use your Xfinity app. First of all, it does not contain everything that the STARZ app does. Secondly, I watch TV on  my 50 inch TV and not on my  apple  devices.   I'm old enough to be able to afford a real TV and I'm not going to watch a series with a tiny screen in my face. 

I believe that  supplying closed captioning is a law. If Comcast can't do that for  people watching STARZ live and if Comcast  doesn't allow people to use the STARZ app, which people with other cable and SATELLITE ISPs can do, I would like to have my monthly payment decreased by enough so that I can purchase the STARZ standalone app, separate from Comcast.  

Comcast cannot continue charging for something they do not supply!

Service Expert

JodieNJ wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

I have two X1 boxes, a DVR in the living room and a box in the bedroom. The problem is the same on both TVs. 

I no longer have STARZ on demand!   When I go to the on-demand menu and pick STARZ, it shows me live channels ONLY.   Why do you have STARZ on demand and I no longer do?? 

BUT even though I can't go to the on-demand menu, select STARZ and see all the on-demand programs, I can search for The White Princess and if I mark it as unwatched,  I can get to it on demand, and  then watch on-demand rather than live or on my DVR  and  the closed captions work. 

Just turned on a movie on STZHD, Men of Honor, (live).  The closed captions show only sporadically,  same as the white princess.  

I don't watch any of the other STARZ stations.

I am getting very frustrated with Comcast's handling of STARZ.    In addition to this issue, I  want to stream to my television from the STARZ app where there are many more things to watch tHan are on demand but for at least a year, people are no longer able to access the STARZ  streaming  app through Comcast. As I'm sure you know.  

I do not want to use your Xfinity app. First of all, it does not contain everything that the STARZ app does. Secondly, I watch TV on  my 50 inch TV and not on my  apple  devices.   I'm old enough to be able to afford a real TV and I'm not going to watch a series with a tiny screen in my face. 

I believe that  supplying closed captioning is a law. If Comcast can't do that for  people watching STARZ live and if Comcast  doesn't allow people to use the STARZ app, which people with other cable and SATELLITE ISPs can do, I would like to have my monthly payment decreased by enough so that I can purchase the STARZ standalone app, separate from Comcast.  

Comcast cannot continue charging for something they do not supply!

I'm a paying customer like you. Comcast does not provide CC it is done by the producer/providers of the entertainment videos. The delivery of captions is electronic and is generated and displayed by the Comcast equipment. That is why I asked a Comcast Official employee to look at this thread.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

According to the FCC: 

"... the delivery and responsibility of closed captions will remain in the hands of VPDs (video program distributors)."  I.e., Comcast.

https://cielo24.com/2016/02/new-fcc-captioning-mandates-who-is-responsible-for-captioned-programming...

Service Expert

JodieNJ wrote:

According to the FCC: 

"... the delivery and responsibility of closed captions will remain in the hands of VPDs (video program distributors)."  I.e., Comcast.

https://cielo24.com/2016/02/new-fcc-captioning-mandates-who-is-responsible-for-captioned-programming... 

for information, I'm a customer like you, I do volunteer for sign-language out-bound (english to sign language) to the deaf and that is why my interest in closed-captioning. I also retired from TV repair and computer repairs etc and achieved technical certification from the FCC. 

The FCC has not substantially changed the CC regs since first quarter of 2016 and currently the FCC requires (in the specific) that incoming complaints/reports  are logged (this forum counts) and is acted on by Comcast. The assigned Comcast employee acts as a closed caption compliance officer. When reported to the compliance person, the technical engineers acquire a stream capture and determine if the issue is before or within Comcast's transmission. At that point Comcast fixes it within 60 days if it is in their control, or they create a formal report to the VPP who maintains CC certification for CC content and accuracy of CC. In the case you reported, the signal apparently has the caption information and it is either not being passed to the live stream by the recoder equipment or has a technical problem in the data stream that the recoder can not recognize. In either case, no one at Comcast or any provider/owner has ever responded to a report/complaint made on this forum, but the problems are usually resolved fairly quickly.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Admin1

Hi JodieNJ -- Thank you for bringing this closed captioning issue to our attention. Close captioning issues are handled by a dedicated team. You would want to contact them directly to report this issue. You can do so by email at Closed_Captioning@comcast.com, by phone at 1-800-266-2278, or fax at 215-286-4700.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation