Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Choppy Video Playback

New Poster

Choppy Video Playback

While watching Mad Men last night I became a mad man. Every 20-30 seconds the video would stop and appear to buffer.  I've had the same experieince while watching various other shows on XFinity.  This is clearly a Comcast issue and not an end user issue.

Is there is a fix in sight or will this problem be ignored?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Choppy Video Playback

if it was on your pc, then there are many things to look at.   have you cleared cookies and cache, updated silverlight and flash. restarted your computer, disabled antivirus and firewalls.    trying to troubleshoot video playback issues on a computer that 20 million peopel have set up totaly different with different programs and the 80% of americans that have viruses and malware on their pc is a daunting task.   Have you tried watching these videos on other pcs or phones or tablets??

New Poster

Rog, I consider myself a power user and generally know when a problem is due to end user configuration/error or provider.  This much I know: 

I use a number of other streaming media services and do not have this problem.  I use Netflix, MLB.tv, YouTube, Hulu, various media and news site video players, etc. etc.  No problem with any of these.  I find it hard to believe that a virus/configuration/cache/cookies/etc is the problem. 

I've tried on two separate PC's and on two separate Comcast connections.  No lag on any of the above mentioned sites but only on Comcast.

With all due respect this is a Comcast issue. Whether it is bad programming, server configuration, or whatever.  It's almost as if Comcast has restricted the amount of video that can be downloaded and buffered in order to save a couple of pennies on bandwidth (and therefore the video playback is adversly affected).  I have no problem when I select low bandwidth option but who wants to watch a video as if you're watching through bathroom privacy glass?

I would appreciate it if Comcast support responds to this post with an answer.

Silver Problem Solver

well this is a user to user forum.  You would need to post the exact videos you have issues with.  I have the service and have had it for several years and have no issues with it, it might be an issue with the infrastructure in your area.  You made not mention of your expertise and power user status in your post if you did the suggestions might have been more lower level twords you.   All I can tell you is this, I have the service I have no issues in my area North jersey.  If you have issues in your area its either where you are or your own hardware.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation